PDA

View Full Version : Thompsons for Bushmasters

Amp Mangum
01-07-14, 08:14
http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_81840e36-7687-11e3-bd45-0019bb30f31a.html

I'd rather have the Thompsons.

philcam
01-07-14, 08:23
But they are "illegal for public use!"

:nono:

brickboy240
01-07-14, 10:06
Not a good trade.

Any reason they could not trade them for a decent AR like at least a Colt 6920?

-brickboy240

yellowfin
01-07-14, 10:44
Passing up the chance to carry a Thompson as one's work gun is STUPID. It shows that they have absolutely no clue what they're worth both monetarily and as functional art, and lack a conscience. I wonder if they had any Stradivarius violins they chopped up and burned for firewood.

ralph
01-07-14, 10:46
My local S.O. has/had a couple of Thompson's.(not sure if they still have them or not, But, from what I've heard, they'd kinda like to get rid of them) Back in the day (late 20' early 30's) they were donated to the S.O. by a local group...That group was the KKK....

Big A
01-07-14, 11:01
They could send them down to ol Whatshisnuts at Red jacket and have him ruin...er, I mean, make them more tactical with quad rails and red dots....Hell, maybe even throw an Magpul stock on there for shits and giggles...

ralph
01-07-14, 11:04
Passing up the chance to carry a Thompson as one's work gun is STUPID. It shows that they have absolutely no clue what they're worth both monetarily and as functional art, and lack a conscience. I wonder if they had any Stradivarius violins they chopped up and burned for firewood.

I don't know.. If you read the article, They got $60,000 worth of Bushmasters for them,(88 AR 15's for 2 Thompsons, mags) Granted I would've went for something decent like Colt, BCM, DD, etc, But the point is, Probably every officer in that S.O. will now get a AR.. at NO cost to the taxpayer.. I don't think they did that bad. While the "cool" factor with the Thompson is off the chart, the reality is they are heavy, shoot a pistol caliber, are over 70 yrs old, and parts needed to keep them running are getting scarce, and expensive, and they only had two of them.. They were cool in the day, but that day is long gone..

T2C
01-07-14, 11:11
A Thompson is fun to play with, but I don't think it is practical as a patrol carbine. Anyone who has spent any time with one can tell you they are a might heavy when compared to a more modern long arm. They are definitely fun to shoot though.

The Sheriff's Department receiving 88 carbines in trade for 2 Thompsons puts 86 more long guns in the hands of their people as well. It's a sound decision.

HD1911
01-07-14, 12:14
A Thompson is fun to play with, but I don't think it is practical as a patrol carbine. Anyone who has spent any time with one can tell you they are a might heavy when compared to a more modern long arm. They are definitely fun to shoot though.

The Sheriff's Department receiving 88 carbines in trade for 2 Thompsons puts 86 more long guns in the hands of their people as well. It's a sound decision.

Sound Decision with Bushmaster's eh?

KevinB
01-07-14, 12:23

Figure out how many rounds the average Deputy will fire -- probably around 120 after the initial qual...

I'm not saying it was a great decision on the actual gun chosen, but the math makes sense to get rid of the Thompson for the Carbine

-- say 500 rounds for the Patrol Rifle Course - then 120rds a year and your probably going to get several years without major issue.

yellowfin
01-07-14, 12:25
They are heavy, but the fact that they're fun to shoot means people will be more likely to train with something that's enjoyable. PD/SO training for the average person is reported to be very, very sparse, so something that's actually a pleasure to work with would mean those who have them would be more likely to become familiar and proficient. As far as them being a pistol caliber, I'm yet to remember where .45 ACP has ever been thought to be insufficient.

I'd be less pissed about it if there were no 86 ban or at very least if they'd be put in circulation if they were transferrable. We're starved right now for transferrables.

ralph
01-07-14, 12:29

I don't think anybody's arguing that Bushmasters are good rifles..They're so-so at best. The trade reflects that a lot of LEO's just aren't gun savy like most people on this board are. The fact that they traded 2 pretty much obsolete Thompsons, that in reality they had little to no real use for, for something more modern, and got 88 of them, at no cost to the tax payer is still a good decision.

HD1911
01-07-14, 12:29
Figure out how many rounds the average Deputy will fire -- probably around 120 after the initial qual...

I'm not saying it was a great decision on the actual gun chosen, but the math makes sense to get rid of the Thompson for the Carbine

-- say 500 rounds for the Patrol Rifle Course - then 120rds a year and your probably going to get several years without major issue.

No I hear ya...was just kind of a Jab.

But in all seriousness though, on such a large scale Dept. Purchase...why rule out 6920s or even M&Ps? Why Bushmaster?

HD1911
01-07-14, 12:30
I don't think anybody's arguing that Bushmasters are good rifles..They're so-so at best. The trade reflects that a lot of LEO's just aren't gun savy like most people on this board are. The fact that they traded 2 pretty much obsolete Thompsons, that in reality they had little to no real use for, for something more modern, and got 88 of them, at no cost to the tax payer is still a good decision.

I'd sure hate to stake the lives of my buddies and even myself on So-So.

Just sayin'

J-Dub
01-07-14, 12:38
No I hear ya...was just kind of a Jab.

But in all seriousness though, on such a large scale Dept. Purchase...why rule out 6920s or even M&Ps? Why Bushmaster?

It probably comes down to how many they could get of what. If a bushmaster dealer offered 15 or 20 more AR's for two thompsons, I guess that would explain WHY. Pretty smart deal in my opinion.

Ive never owned a bushmaster, so I cant comment on their quality, but im sure they aren't going to blow up or disintegrate in to thin air. I would assume they don't have perfect M4 feed ramps (not important), carrier bolts might not be staked properly (can be fixed), and they have 1/9 twist (not a big deal).....what else am I missing?

ralph
01-07-14, 12:55
They are heavy, but the fact that they're fun to shoot means people will be more likely to train with something that's enjoyable. PD/SO training for the average person is reported to be very, very sparse, so something that's actually a pleasure to work with would mean those who have them would be more likely to become familiar and proficient. As far as them being a pistol caliber, I'm yet to remember where .45 ACP has ever been thought to be insufficient.

I'd be less pissed about it if there were no 86 ban or at very least if they'd be put in circulation if they were transferrable. We're starved right now for transferrables.

If you were a LEO, and you had your choice, which would you rather have? a selective fire M4 carbine or a Thompson? I'm sorry, but a pistol caliber is still a pistol caliber, no matter what it's fired in, and still a poor choice compared to a rifle caliber. .As far as being fun to shoot sure, but how does training with a 70yr old machine gun equate to modern training tactics?, and they only had 2 of them.. What about parts availability? you can buy AR parts all over the place, Thompson parts? good luck.. as I said, they're over 70 yrs old and parts are getting scarce.. I'm sorry dude, but you're argument seems to be based on your feelings towards the Thompson, and not in reality. I'm not bashing you, but those riding around in a car with a badge and a pistol, need something better than a obsolete 70yr old machine gun..

HD1911
01-07-14, 13:02
It probably comes down to how many they could get of what. If a bushmaster dealer offered 15 or 20 more AR's for two thompsons, I guess that would explain WHY. Pretty smart deal in my opinion.

Ive never owned a bushmaster, so I cant comment on their quality, but im sure they aren't going to blow up or disintegrate in to thin air. I would assume they don't have perfect M4 feed ramps (not important), carrier bolts might not be staked properly (can be fixed), and they have 1/9 twist (not a big deal).....what else am I missing?

Yeah you're right: Not Disintegrate into thin air, just plain Disintegrate.... 22562

No biggie for our Boys in Blue.

HD1911
01-07-14, 13:07
And don't forget this Gem: 22563

ralph
01-07-14, 13:11

Not much, In the past I had two Bushmasters, I didn't have any real problems with them,(both of these were late 90's early 2000's examples) For the most part, they can be brought up to being quite useable just by going over the little things, staking the carrier key, castle nut, etc, As modular as the AR is, any parts that don't cut it can be replaced with higher quality parts, relatively easy. They are by no means the best choice, But, better than letting a LEO carry a $30,000 Thompson around in the trunk.

J-Dub
01-07-14, 13:14
Not much, In the past I had two Bushmasters, I didn't have any real problems with them,(both of these were late 90's early 2000's examples) For the most part, they can be brought up to being quite useable just by going over the little things, staking the carrier key, castle nut, etc, As modular as the AR is, any parts that don't cut it can be replaced with higher quality parts, relatively easy. They are by no means the best choice, But, better than letting a LEO carry a $30,000 Thompson around in the trunk.

Exactly.

Caduceus
01-07-14, 13:20
to all the naysayers: it's a .45!!! You know, the pistol equivalent of racking a shotgun - one stop killers! Plus, you can't qualify on a M4 when you're shooting from the hip!

OK, back on target, it's cool that they would consider trading versus just destroying the Thompsons. I get why they did it, and I hope the Thompson's go to a good home. I'll volunteer mine if they can't.

ralph
01-07-14, 13:39
And don't forget this Gem: 22563

That's a known problem with their Carbon Fiber AR's...I don't recall that ever happening to their Aluminum Upper and lowers...

Amp Mangum
01-07-14, 14:27
From the department's point of view it definitely made sense to make the trade. A whole lot of deputies will now have patrol rifles, but for me, I'd take 2 Thompsons over 88 Bushmasters any day.

Caeser25
01-07-14, 14:42

Well, 2 of them anyway. The other 86 were sol.

JoshNC
01-07-14, 16:34
I'm just glad that two more historically relevant transferable MGs will make it to the civilian market. This is a win for the MG collector community.

LHS
01-07-14, 16:35
Commissioner Dave Plyler asked several questions and said after the meeting that he had no clue that the sheriff’s office had these guns.

“That was just absolutely a shock,” he said.

He is fine with the trade and said the guns are illegal for the public to use and should be for the sheriff’s office as well.

“It came from a different time,” Plyler said.

ralph
01-07-14, 17:26
From the department's point of view it definitely made sense to make the trade. A whole lot of deputies will now have patrol rifles, but for me, I'd take 2 Thompsons over 30 Bushmasters any day.

Actually it was 88 Bushmasters...And sure, I'd take the two Thompsons, too. and when I got them home, I'd put them up for sale so fast it'd make your eyes spin...I'd rather have the $60k...and go out to Grant's and buy everything I ever wanted...

Amp Mangum
01-07-14, 18:04
Actually it was 88 Bushmasters...And sure, I'd take the two Thompsons, too. and when I got them home, I'd put them up for sale so fast it'd make your eyes spin...I'd rather have the $60k...and go out to Grant's and buy everything I ever wanted...

Yep, my bad. That exactly what I'd do too.

SteyrAUG
01-07-14, 18:17
But they are "illegal for public use!"

:nono:

Still will be "transferable" once the SOT has them or they'd have a hard time getting 8 Bushmasters for them.

scottryan
01-07-14, 18:51
TSMGs belong in the hands of a citizen not in the hands of a govt agency.

J-Dub
01-07-14, 19:08
TSMGs belong in the hands of a citizen not in the hands of a govt agency.

Lol of course, those gov't agents need something more practical..

philcam
01-07-14, 19:29
Still will be "transferable" once the SOT has them or they'd have a hard time getting 8 Bushmasters for them.

Steyr,

Yes, I know they can be transferred. (Well, assuming they are in the registry and I'm pretty certain the SOT did their research prior to the trade and made certain they are transferable NFA items.)

I was being sarcastic and quoting an ignorant County Commissioner from the news article.

SteyrAUG
01-08-14, 00:16
Steyr,

Yes, I know they can be transferred. (Well, assuming they are in the registry and I'm pretty certain the SOT did their research prior to the trade and made certain they are transferable NFA items.)

I was being sarcastic and quoting an ignorant County Commissioner from the news article.

I know. But honestly that was a quote for the ignorant public, and so long as it results in two more guns on the registry now in the open market, they can tell stupid people anything they want.

Iraqgunz
01-08-14, 02:14
Good point. Plus the PD has been told that BM is MILSPEC and therefore they are good to go.

Iraqgunz
01-08-14, 02:16
Bushmaster issues are well known. No need to rehash it here. If you venture over to the AR General/Technical area you can search to your hearts content and find plenty of issues.

ralph
01-08-14, 08:00
never mind...............

SteveS
01-08-14, 11:18
I would bet some collector would pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for those Thompsons

Renegade
01-08-14, 11:39
Win/Win for both sides.

WillBrink
01-08-14, 13:00
http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_81840e36-7687-11e3-bd45-0019bb30f31a.html

I'd rather have the Thompsons.

Would those Thompsons not be worth a small fortune on the open market?

Amp Mangum
01-08-14, 13:03
Yeah, and they will only continue to increase in value.

Amp Mangum
01-08-14, 16:01
Fox News has picked up the story:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/08/sheriff-swaps-bonnie-and-clyde-era-tommy-guns-for-new-arms/?intcmp=latestnews

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-14, 17:52
I think the Sheriff made a good decision, to many times firearms like those get melted down by liberal CLEOs.

Iraqgunz
01-08-14, 18:39
Ok. We get it. Now please stop unless you have something constructive to add.

Yeah, and they will only continue to increase in value.