PDA

View Full Version : 16" Barrel And 28" OAL NFA Regulation

Swag
01-07-14, 14:45
What "greater purpose" is served by maintaining the 16" barrel length when there is a 26" OAL set? Seems nonsensical. I guess the NFA believes you can't get as wet by jumping into the shallow end of the pool?

ETA: I find either regulation disagreeable but that's just me. Oops in title

Clint
01-07-14, 20:52
They should drop the barrel length limitation.

halo2304
01-08-14, 12:17
It's important to keep in mind that laws, in general and regardless of how nonsensical they are years later, are meant to eliminate certain behavior of a targeted group of people. As I understand it, the NFA was created to combat violent gangsters and the mob. The thought was that a rifle barrel of 16" (18" for shotguns) and and an OAL of 26"+ meant weapons can't be concealed as easily.

Consider the Federal law for switchblades. In 1958, the Switchblade Knife Act was passed. At the time, the concern was juvenile delinquents and gangs thanks in large part to movies like *Westside Story* and Rebel Without A Cause.

It's all the same story, just different actors. Of course, such laws apply to all but, their effect is felt more by some and less than others.

ETA: * West Side Story wasn't a movie until after the 1958 law was passed. However, one of the public's concerns at the time was juvenile delinquency.

SomeOtherGuy
01-08-14, 13:38
It's important to keep in mind that laws, in general and regardless of how nonsensical they are years later, are meant to eliminate certain behavior of a targeted group of people. As I understand it, the NFA was created to combat violent gangsters and the mob. The thought was that a rifle barrel of 16" (18" for shotguns) and and an OAL of 26"+ meant weapons can't be concealed as easily.

Consider the Federal law for switchblades. In 1958, the Switchblade Knife Act was passed. At the time, the concern was juvenile delinquents and gangs thanks in large part to movies like Westside Story and Rebel Without A Cause.

It's all the same story, just different actors. Of course, such laws apply to all but, their effect is felt more by some and less than others.

LOL

NFA was created as feel-good political stupidity just all the more recent gun bans. It originally banned handguns (well, $200 tax stamp and federal approval = de facto ban) but Eleanor Roosevelt liked to shoot handguns, so she convinced FDR to get those removed. Suppressors, which were not originally going to be under the NFA, were put in their place. There is no logic or any decent purpose to it. It was solely for politics. Just like the equally stupid switchblade ban.