PDA

View Full Version : Need help with boots.. or maybe a doc..

Roy
01-07-14, 16:32
Here is the deal. My feet sweat what appears to be a lot. I live in Michigan where it can be cold and wet for most of the year.

I Wear danner acidas, Asolo fugitives , Rocky pro hunters, or Under armor Vasque.

MY FEET ARE FREEZING ALL THE TIME, to the point they hurt.

It snowed the other day so I wore my rocky's to work. feet were ok driving in, then when I got to the office sitting at the desk my feet got so cold I had to take my boots off.. wore the Asolo's the other day same outcome.. wore my Under armor today and mind you they are all nylon like a tennis shoe and it is -20 with wind chill here now and my feet were warmer than with the other boots.. problem is one drop of water and im soaked. and then colder ect..

I wear smart wool socks or wigwams all the time...

is there a warm , water proofish boot that I can wear and stay warm..

It would be great if I can get them in black that I can polish for work

Thanks

Kenneth
01-07-14, 16:47
Do you change your socks throughout the day? That's prolly the biggest thing in keeping your feet warm.

Barnacle Bill
01-07-14, 20:58
I have a pair of 6" black 5.11 ATAC boots with Thinsulate that I've worn shooting at an outdoor range in temperatures down to the teens, without my feet getting cold. Unfortunately, it looks like they've discontinued the Thinsulate version of that boot.

I also have a similarly sized pair of North Face boots with PrimaLoft, but they are not black (light grey with small amounts of orange trim). I wore these on a 6 hour snow shoe trek in Vermont about a year ago and never had cold feet. However, later in the same trip I spent most of the day cross country skiing then went directly into a shorter snow shoe trip in these boots, and my feet did get cold. So, probably a limit of what they'll handle.

So, maybe the answer is boots with some sort of built in insulation.

Another alternative might be those electric heated inserts they sell for hunters. I bought my wife some a couple years ago at Bass Pro Shop, along with an optional charger to plug into the car cigarette lighter. They seem to work OK for her, but I wouldn't risk getting them wet.

just a scout
01-07-14, 21:21
Try Smartwool socks and some kind of wicking liner sock. I have the same problem and that's my solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Voodoo_Man
01-07-14, 21:32
Try Smartwool socks and some kind of wicking liner sock. I have the same problem and that's my solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+1 for Smartwool.

I buy mine from REI and holy crap. Forget cold feet ever again.

Also, when in doubt, just double them up.

Vendetta
01-07-14, 21:32
I wear Lowa Uplanders with Gore Tex in the winter. I have stood in standing water and my feet have stayed dry. They also keep my feet plenty warm. For the past week I've been wearing the Salomon XA Pro, but I wish they were a little higher cut to protect my ankle.

Lowa has been the best boot for the winter, they put a lot of design and thought into their boots, and I believe are tested and designed around Europe in much harsher climates than I will put them through.

DC5446
01-07-14, 23:21
Lowa boots are legit. I was recently did some training where it rained quite a bit and we were frequently in and out of draws and the guys with Lowas were able to go much longer without changing boots.

Hmac
01-07-14, 23:26
GoreTex boots, polypropylene socks under smart wool. Spray your feet with an anti-perspirant like Arid XX Dry before the socks. I recommend unscented.

ra2bach
01-08-14, 13:01
have you tried antiperspirant on your feet?..

DOH! looks like it was just suggested above...

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-14, 15:51
An excerpt from a SME on foot gear . . .

Post number 75 on page 4:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?48689-What-boots/page4

I'm disappointed there aren't more replies to this one; quite simply, if you play with guns for a living (and do more with them than clear them in the clearing barrel at the DFAC), and don't live in a Bradley, boots are the most important piece of kit you can own.

Unfortunately, there is surprisingly little information out there in the ranks of the military in particular, with stubborn NCO's unwilling to admit a lack of knowledge or to try new things. Boot knowledge is gained solely from long (often alpine) expeditions, not just from growing up in the woods.

Six years as an airborne infantryman in Alaska, various military schools and selection courses, plus time in Afghanistan, Iraq, the Alps, the Dolomites, the Rockies, the Hindu Kush, and the Himalayas have taught me the following with regards to boots: 1)there is no single right answer, and you will spend a lot of money to find out what works for you. 2)You get what you pay for. 3)What works for someone else will not necessarily work for you. 4)If a company has been making sunglasses or athletic shoes, and suddenly starts making boots when a war starts...maybe not the best place to look. 5)Italians, Germans, and Norwegians know their shit. American isn't always best.

So crack open a beer, boys. This is gonna be a long one. This is for all the 11B's, 18 series, fellas on the teams, and anyone else who sees real trigger time who didn't want to ask questions for fear of looking uninformed. (That shouldn't be the environment in a cohesive unit, but another post for another time.) And I apologize if it seems like I'm insulting your intelligence at times. I just want to be sure everyone's on the same page.

First: socks, socks, socks. Socks rubbing against your feet cause blisters, not the boots themselves. Socks are to boots as mags are to weapons. (They are the most important part, as they are where everything starts.) Get good merino wool/bamboo socks. Army-issued green socks are surprisingly decent. You can never go wrong with Smartwool. If your feet tend to sweat like mine, and you realized that wool socks make your feet sweat more, get over it. Better than blisters. Powder your shit. DON'T SPRAY ANTIPERSPIRANT ON YOUR FEET, UNLESS YOU WANT TO SMELL LIKE A DOUCHE, AND HAVE ****ED UP FEET. If you prefer longer socks, look at lightweight Smartwool ski socks. Point 6 is another good company that was recently started by the same people who started Smartwool. Bridgedale is another good option, and very popular. Fox River socks are very decent as well. My vote is with Smartwool.

Roy
01-08-14, 17:24
Check ill grab some anti and liners to add to smartwools

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-14, 18:30
Check ill grab some anti and liners to add to smartwools

I'd go with Gold Bond foot powder and avoid the antiperspirant.

B52U
01-08-14, 18:42
For those with higher than normal foot perspiration, my podiatrist recommended "Certain Dri" moisture control pads. They have a higher concentration of aluminum chloride than your armpit sprays and roll ons because your feet have a lot more sweat glands. You wipe them on your feet before going to bed each night for a week and then a few nights a week after to maintain. It really cuts down on excessive foot moisture. You can get them on Amazon.

cop1211
01-10-14, 21:14
Lowa mega camp.

walkin' trails
01-12-14, 08:52
J haven't tried the Smartwools, but I go with the formula that quality wool socks, foot powder, and changing them at every opportunity will help. Everyone is different, and some of the posters recommendations such as a wicking sick liner will help, but keep an extra pair on hand along with your footbpowder just in case.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk