PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Just the Bolt Carrier

Vorpalis
01-08-14, 10:59
I've googled around and found lots of threads about how important it is to have a quality bolt carrier group, but I haven't found much info on how important a quality carrier itself is. Here's my situation: I've got a Noveske barrel that came with a matched bolt, so I just need a carrier. Should I go all-out and get a BCM / LMT / DD BCG or should I save about $100 and just get a CMT carrier from Stag (I can't find an LMT carrier in stock anywhere, and I've never seen a BCM or DD carrier sold separately)? I know a lot of folks consider BCM / LMT / DD to be higher-quality than CMT / Stag, but how much does that matter when we're talking about just the carrier?

Thanks!

Koshinn
01-08-14, 11:08
IMO, get a full BCG from BCM or another high quality manufacturer, swap the bolt for your matched Noveske bolt, and save the BCM bolt as a spare. Because having a spare bolt is a very good idea.

This is the best deal I've seen in a while to get you started:
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3759

skydivr
01-08-14, 11:18
Please explain the 'matched' part of the Noveske bolt. If it's a quality bolt from another mil-spec manufacturer, what is the issue?

Vorpalis
01-08-14, 11:27
Please explain the 'matched' part of the Noveske bolt. If it's a quality bolt from another mil-spec manufacturer, what is the issue?

I honestly don't know. I'm sure they check the headspace, but I don't know if they do anything further. Noveske is one of the only companies I've seen selling barrels with matched bolts. If anyone has further info on what Noveske does with these, I'm curious to know.

Koshinn
01-08-14, 11:31

There was actually a discussion of this in another thread just the other day, basically that a matched bolt with precise headspacing and such can actually slightly improve accuracy, although most people don't have the skill to notice it. As Noveske only offers the matched bolt with their SS match grade barrels, I can see why they would provide this as an option.

HuttoAg96
01-08-14, 11:40
Bison Armory offers a headspaced bolt (Stag, I think) with their 6.8 uppers. I'm assuming this would be different from being a "matched" bolt, but who knows. That bolt is now my spare as I'm using the DD 6.8 BCG in that gun.

Serpico1985
01-08-14, 11:52
The range between the "go" and "no go" headspace gagues is pretty large. Noveske uses a series of headspace gagues in .001" increments and "fit" a bolt to their barrels. There is a video of a Noveske shop tour on youtube showing this. They have a box of bolts and stand there checking different bolts until they get one that fits within their (Noveske's) smaller headspace range that is still odviously within the go and no go range.

ETA: They are not modifying anything, just checking to find a bolt that fits their specs that is still within mil-spec.

discreet
01-08-14, 12:00
Yes having a quality carrier is just as important as having a quality bolt. Well made gas key that is properly staked. Gas key is held on by good grade bolts. No leaks. Test fired etc. I wouldn't skimp on a crap carrier, especially from the likes of CMT or Stag. IG just mentioned all the issue he noticed in a 3g Stag awhile back he looked over so another prime examble just to do it right the first time.

If you want to save money just get a Rainier bcg, they on sale for 100$. I wouldn't put them up on the same level as BCM but I'd choose rainier before stag/cmt, SSA, AIM, etc etc.

cdb
01-08-14, 12:02

Like the other guys said, just a bolt that's been matched to the barrel on the shorter end of the headspace range. 1.4646" is what my matched Novekse bolt/barrel measures.

Vorpalis
01-08-14, 12:28
1.4646" is what my matched Novekse bolt/barrel measures.

How'd you measure headspace so precisely? Or did Noveske just tell you which size gauge fit?

Vorpalis
01-08-14, 12:38
Thanks for the info, everyone! I just saw that Tier One Tactical has Noveske BCGs in stock – the first I've seen in stock in almost two years – so I bought one. It's probably made by CMT – heh! – but I know it was made to Noveske's specs and has passed their QC. "Yay!" for more Noveske parts! :dance3:

MistWolf
01-08-14, 12:51
Choice of carrier is important for reliability. Serious Service Rifle match shooters will tell you the carrier has nothing to do with accuracy. Choose your carrier based on reliable function alone

cdb
01-08-14, 13:07
How'd you measure headspace so precisely? Or did Noveske just tell you which size gauge fit?

I had access to a set of Forster gauges, which are incremented in thousandths.

EzGoingKev
01-08-14, 19:58
I can't find an LMT carrier in stock anywhere

I just checked LMT's site and shows them all to be in stock???

Vorpalis
01-08-14, 23:51
Haha! Of course they are, only hours after I buy something else. I mean, I bought Noveske, so I'm not complaining, but life loves to mess with your timing :p