PDA

View Full Version : PHONE CALL OF THE WEEK!

C4IGrant
01-08-14, 13:56
Got a good one today.

Customer: I would like to buy an HK MR556 upper.

Me: We can help.

Customer: I have an older Colt AR and need the special pivot pin so that it can work with the HK. Is that true?

Me: Yes, you will need that piece to make everything work.

Customer: Is the HK upper the best there is?

Me: Depends on what you are after or want the gun to do.

Customer: What does that mean?

Me: Buy an upper that works well with your agenda (target shooting, training/defense, hunting, etc). Some people like piston guns VS DI guns and vice versa so it just depends on what you like.

Customer: DI?

Me: Direct impingement

Customer: What's that?

Me: That is your Colt.

Customer: Oh.

Me: Silence.

Customer: Is the HK upper accurate?

Me: Yes, they are typically 1-2 MOA @ 100yds.

Customer: Ok

Me: What kind of accuracy do you get out of your Colt?

Customer: I don't know, I have NEVER SHOT IT.

Me: (ugh). So you have had this AR since the 90's, never shot it and want to replace the upper with something else??

Customer: Yes.

Me: SHOOT YOUR GUN!!

Customer: Good idea!

Me: Good bye (off to look for a sharp object to commit suicide with).

C4

Heavy Metal
01-08-14, 13:58
They say the Hell is the impossibility of reason..........

Tzed250
01-08-14, 14:04
Fire the weapon....

Brilliant !!!!

C4IGrant
01-08-14, 14:18
Fire the weapon....

Brilliant !!!!

I know right? Where do I get these awesome ideas from?? I must be a rocket scientist!

C4

Heavy Metal
01-08-14, 14:37
Did you tell him how much that H&K upper cost?

3 AE
01-08-14, 14:41
You should have sold him the HK upper. Customers like that deserve to have their credit cards maxed out! LOL :D

Heavy Metal
01-08-14, 14:51
Grant would likely rather the HK upper go to somebody who can make better use of it, all things being equal.

Crow Hunter
01-08-14, 14:53
I know right? Where do I get these awesome ideas from?? I must be a rocket scientist!

C4

You didn't tell him to lube it.

Since it has been sitting for 20 plus years with no use, he will now take it out to shoot with the cheapest .223 ammo he can find, then get a malfuction since it is drier than a bone and using underpowered ammo.

The he will get on line and proclaim how horrible the AR-15 is and how it failed on him just like the vets in 'Nam and how he swapped it straight up for a Mini-14 which he hasn't fired yet but he knows it will work because it looks like the M14 which was the gun that we never should have abandoned but we did because of Commies in the JFK administration that wanted us to lose Vietnam.

It's all your fault Grant...

:big_boss::sarcastic:

SteyrAUG
01-08-14, 15:58
I still have you beat with my "rifle gas" incident.

Posted on TOS: 7/7/2004 12:46:38 AM EST

True Tales Of The FFL: "OK, maybe Some People Shouldn't Have Guns"...

Pretty sad sign of the times.

A couple weeks ago had a new guy looking to get his first gun. Pretty much wanted what most guys want, an all purpose one tool for the job kind of rifle that he could use for recreational bench shooting, home defense and to rule his small feifdom if the shit ever hits the fan. Of course I recomended an AR15 and he finally decided on a Bushmaster 20" HBar.

Struck me as the intellectual type and he asked a lot of questions regarding configuration, options and accessories. Ordered a case, a few mags (I told him to wait a couple months to see what way the AW Ban renewal goes before grabbing 10+) and some ammo.

Anway his rifle arrived today and I called him so he could pick it up. Took care of the call in, etc. and he was out the door.

About 1/2 hour later I get the call.

He read in the manual that the rifle was "gas operated." He was kinda annoyed I didn't tell him it was gas operated because it sounds like a PIA and he wished he ordered some rifle gas with the other stuff. He wanted to know if he could use regular gas from the gas station and where you put it in the rifle. He had said he found the "gas tube" but didn't see a way to fill it.

After I explained things to him I'm not sure if he really felt better.

Oh well at least now he understands how a "gas operated" rifle functions.

When he comes back for more mags later I might yank his chain and tell him he needs a new "gas piston."

Please teach your 10 year old the concept of a "gas operated" rifle to spare them future embarassment.

TacticalSledgehammer
01-08-14, 16:03
Haha. You need to start charging some people by the minute on calls like that.

SpankMonkey
01-08-14, 16:07
I can't wait for him to call back complaining the Colt does not work and wants to buy the HK.

Please post it when he does, you know he will.

C4IGrant
01-08-14, 16:08

He knew.

C4

C4IGrant
01-08-14, 16:09
Haha. You need to start charging some people by the minute on calls like that.

People wonder why I don't like to answer the phone. This little convo kept me occupied for at least 20 minutes!

C4

a1fabweld
01-08-14, 16:20
I'm not surprised. I know guys who have AR's stacked to the rafters that have never been fired. They just buy them to brag and rub their scrotums on once in a while.

Sam
01-08-14, 16:23
Got a good one today.

Customer: I would like to buy an HK MR556 upper.

Me: We can help.
Customer: I don't know, I have NEVER SHOT IT.

Me: (ugh). So you have had this AR since the 90's, never shot it and want to replace the upper with something else??

Customer: Yes.

Me: SHOOT YOUR GUN!!

Customer: Good idea!

Me: Good bye (off to look for a sharp object to commit suicide with).

C4

Doggone it Grant, why are you picking on me? That's the last time I'm ever going to call you. :)

Tzed250
01-08-14, 16:28

A couple weeks ago had a new guy looking to get his first gun. Pretty much wanted what most guys want, an all purpose one tool for the job kind of rifle that he could use for recreational bench shooting, home defense and to rule his small feifdom if the shit ever hits the fan. Of course I recomended an AR15 and he finally decided on a Bushmaster 20" HBar.

Struck me as the intellectual type and he asked a lot of questions regarding configuration, options and accessories. Ordered a case, a few mags (I told him to wait a couple months to see what way the AW Ban renewal goes before grabbing 10+) and some ammo.

Anway his rifle arrived today and I called him so he could pick it up. Took care of the call in, etc. and he was out the door.

He read in the manual that the rifle was "gas operated." He was kinda annoyed I didn't tell him it was gas operated because it sounds like a PIA and he wished he ordered some rifle gas with the other stuff. He wanted to know if he could use regular gas from the gas station and where you put it in the rifle. He had said he found the "gas tube" but didn't see a way to fill it.

When he comes back for more mags later I might yank his chain and tell him he needs a new "gas piston."

Please teach your 10 year old the concept of a "gas operated" rifle to spare them future embarassment.

That same guy left your shop and on the way home he stopped by the motorcycle shop where I worked. He said he needed a new powerband. I sold him a blue one. His name is Brik.

Brik Shavalode.

C4IGrant
01-08-14, 16:29
I'm not surprised. I know guys who have AR's stacked to the rafters that have never been fired. They just buy them to brag and rub their scrotums on once in a while.

I am a collector and have guns that I don't intend to shoot (especially the historical guns I have). With that said, if you only have ONE AR, go out and shoot it before buying anything else for it.

C4

Sam
01-08-14, 16:29
Seriously Grant, your customer is not rare. I have a good friend, who was a GI in Vietnam, FED lawman in the early phase of 9/11 until his retirement a few years ago that haven't shot a gun since his retirement.

God bless my friend since he's usually the dumping ground for my unwanted guns. The following is a list of guns that I've sold him in the last 5 years:

Colt HBAR Match
S&W model 37 J frame
S&W M&P Pro 9mm (complete with Crimson Trace and Streamlight TLR1)
Colt 6920

He has not fired one shot through any of those guns!

RWH24
01-08-14, 16:45
Seriously Grant, your customer is not rare. I have a good friend, who was a GI in Vietnam, FED lawman in the early phase of 9/11 until his retirement a few years ago that haven't shot a gun since his retirement.

God bless my friend since he's usually the dumping ground for my unwanted guns. The following is a list of guns that I've sold him in the last 5 years:

Colt HBAR Match
S&W model 37 J frame
S&W M&P Pro 9mm (complete with Crimson Trace and Streamlight TLR1)
Colt 6920

He has not fired one shot through any of those guns!
Why's everybody always picking on me? Charlie Brown....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UnPzp2lmNk

J-Dub
01-08-14, 16:56
But....I thought you were just supposed to take pictures of your guns next to your dinner.....they are actually for shooting? This changes everything.... (< avg. **15.com'er)

Iraqgunz
01-08-14, 17:36
I am not shocked at all..unfortunately. We had a guy at SAR ask for a 40" or 48" .300 Blackout barrel. Didn't matter that it probably wouldn't work. Then a call today after claiming he had done "tons of reading and research" wanting to know why our barrel was better than brand xxxx. It was obvious he did no research at all and didn't have a clue as to what he was talking about.

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-14, 17:43

That was pure gold . . . :lol:

a1fabweld
01-08-14, 18:09
I've got collector type guns too that I won't shoot to preserve their value, but AR's are tools despite what the guys at the shooting range fashion show believe.

montanadave
01-08-14, 18:18
What's the consensus on running E10 fuel in a gas-operated rifle? I have a service station in town that sells no-ethanol gas but it's in the opposite direction from the range.

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-14, 18:26
What's the consensus on running E10 fuel in a gas-operated rifle? I have a service station in town that sells no-ethanol gas but it's in the opposite direction from the range.

I'd avoid the E10 fuels as they are known to cause corrosion.

sandman99and9
01-08-14, 19:48
I only use 104+ octane racing fuel in my rifles :)

S.M.

Heavy Metal
01-08-14, 19:51
So Bolt Bounce really is a form of engine knock!

Eurodriver
01-09-14, 08:17
These stories are so funny because they are so rare. As a consumer, I sure wish the ratio of prickly morons behind the counter to those in front of it would inverse itself.

JSantoro
01-09-14, 08:22
You guys with gas-operated guns need to up yo game...

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/8908/fbmw.jpg

C4IGrant
01-09-14, 08:27
These stories are so funny because they are so rare. As a consumer, I sure wish the ratio of prickly morons behind the counter to those in front of it would inverse itself.

I don't know. All the gun dealers I deal with around me are nice and friendly. On the flip side, I deal with someone like this, or an angry/aggressive customer, or people trying to shoot me with their guns in my store, etc on a weekly basis!

C4

Ryno12
01-09-14, 08:30

**** that. With today's political climate, I'm going off the grid completely & converting my shit to wind energy.

Sent via Tapatalk

montanadave
01-09-14, 08:43

Yeah, sure, like you can lay hands on a flux capacitor post-Sandy Hook.

Caduceus
01-09-14, 09:01

Well, the no-ethanol is supposed to last longer, but some Stabil should keep it working well. Don't forget to switch out the gas rings to vyton if you plan on long term storage to prevent degradation.

However, I prefer a diesel operated system, as there's more torque along the BCG which translates to a stronger primer strike with the firing pin.

SomeOtherGuy
01-09-14, 09:52

From what I've seen on various forums, a lot of recent entrants to EBRs are late 50's baby boomers who think nothing of dropping $3000 on a gun or gun part, since they've spent that much on golf clubs and other sporting goods.

JSantoro
01-09-14, 10:52
Yeah, sure, like you can lay hands on a flux capacitor post-Sandy Hook.

"Rebuild kit."

http://imageshack.us/a/img29/600/fyeahbaby.jpg

Zane1844
01-09-14, 11:05

No, no, no, noooooooooo.