PDA

View Full Version : Gov't offers new approach to classroom discipline

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-14, 19:13
So Holder, who has not allowed the FBI to publish their crime demographic stats since he was appointed AG is playing the race card yet again, this time in the public schools.

http://news.yahoo.com/gov-39-t-offers-approach-classroom-discipline-050227013.html

Attorney General Eric Holder said the problem often stems from well intentioned "zero-tolerance" policies that too often inject the criminal justice system into the resolution of problems. Zero tolerance policies, a tool that became popular in the 1990s, often spell out uniform and swift punishment for offenses such as truancy, smoking or carrying a weapon. Violators can lose classroom time or become saddled with a criminal record.

In the age of school shootings God forbid a "child" who skips school to pursue criminal activities, caught "smoking" (crack, weed, etc.) on campus, or carries a weapon (gun free zones mind you) get arrested and thus have a crimnal record.

The recommendations are nonbinding, but, in essence, the federal government is telling the school districts around the country that they should adhere to the principles of fairness and equity in student discipline or face strong action if they don't.

Give students who happen to be black and or brown a free pass that choose to participate in criminal acts to include gang fights, assaults, gang rapes, shootings, stabbings, narcotic usage, property thefts so on and so forth or face a Federal/DOJ backlash.

Belmont31R
01-08-14, 19:37
1. Zero tolerance IS stupid.

2. Race based discipline is even stupider.

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-14, 19:51
1. Zero tolerance IS stupid.

So do you think kids who are caught using drugs on campus should be allowed to keep coming back to school so they continue with their drug usage? How about weapons? Or gang violence? Why should good kids that want to learn and be productive members of society be forced to learn next to these 02 thieves.

2. Race based discipline is even stupider.

Show me a school . . . any school that disciplines based on "race".

In my AO we have a metric ton of Hispanic gangs in our PUBLIC schools, the other gangs happen to be black. No one forced these "children" into these criminal organizations. The white, Asian, Indian, etc. kids don't run in gangs and do the types of things gangs do. We have two charter aka "special schools" in the city that I work for. You have 21 year old "freshmen" who are still allowed to finish their "high school careers" with the hopes that they will make something of themselves lol. Would you like your daughter who happens to be a 13/14 year old freshman going to school with these 20+ year old gangbangers?

Belmont31R
01-08-14, 19:58
So do you think kids who are caught using drugs on campus should be allowed to keep coming back to school so they continue with their drug usage? How about weapons? Or gang violence? Why should good kids that want to learn and be productive members of society be forced to learn next to these 02 thieves.

Show me a school . . . any school that disciplines based on "race".

In my AO we have a metric ton of Hispanic gangs in our PUBLIC schools, the other gangs happen to be black. No one forced these "children" into these criminal organizations. The white, Asian, Indian, etc. kids don't run in gangs and do the types of things gangs do. We have two charter aka "special schools" in the city that I work for. You have 21 year old "freshmen" who are still allowed to finish their "high school careers" with the hopes that they will make something of themselves lol. Would you like your daughter who happens to be a 13/14 year old freshman going to school with these 20+ year old gangbangers?

I was put up for expulsion in HS for having my trap shooting gear and some shotshells on campus in my truck. Treated the same as a weapon by district zero tolerance policy. Had nothing to do with gangs or a threat to the school in any capacity. But zero tolerance demanded I be expelled. So I did a independent HS for the rest of the year then returned to the school I got in trouble at for my senior year. There was a case I read about maybe 2-3 years ago of a female student who was in the shotgun clay shooting sports, like I was, and it made national news when she got in trouble under similar circumstances. I went on to join the military and get a clearance. O2 thief i think not but theres no distinction between people like her or me or gangbanger HS students in getting disciplined who actually do bring weapons to cause harm.

I don't agree with race based discipline. That is what Holder wants.

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-14, 20:14
I was put up for expulsion in HS for having my trap shooting gear and some shotshells on campus in my truck. Treated the same as a weapon by district zero tolerance policy. Had nothing to do with gangs or a threat to the school in any capacity. But zero tolerance demanded I be expelled. So I did a independent HS for the rest of the year then returned to the school I got in trouble at for my senior year. There was a case I read about maybe 2-3 years ago of a female student who was in the shotgun clay shooting sports, like I was, and it made national news when she got in trouble under similar circumstances. I went on to join the military and get a clearance. O2 thief i think not but theres no distinction between people like her or me or gangbanger HS students in getting disciplined who actually do bring weapons to cause harm.

I don't agree with race based discipline. That is what Holder wants.

Fire adjusted, reading you lima charlie.

I graduated high school in the 90's. My ISD was the first to have their own PD, not local SROs. One day a kid was pulled from class when a K9 got a kit for guns from his car. Turns out he went dove hunting the day before and the K9 was picking up on the gun powder residue left from the spent shells that were no longer in the back of his car. Nothing came of it but it sure was a pain in the ass to go through those hoops. Sounds like what happened to you except you still had shells and "firearm related items" in your POV. That is bull shit in its purist form.

Belmont31R
01-08-14, 20:53
Fire adjusted, reading you lima charlie.

I graduated high school in the 90's. My ISD was the first to have their own PD, not local SROs. One day a kid was pulled from class when a K9 got a kit for guns from his car. Turns out he went dove hunting the day before and the K9 was picking up on the gun powder residue left from the spent shells that were no longer in the back of his car. Nothing came of it but it sure was a pain in the ass to go through those hoops. Sounds like what happened to you except you still had shells and "firearm related items" in your POV. That is bull shit in its purist form.

I graduated HS in 2002. Not far behind you. Just different times these days where anything gun related is zero tolerance. My parents were PISSED at the school. I was doing something good with my free time and I still wear belt buckles from events I won when I was shooting competitively. But you can't argue against zero tolerance because it doesn't allow thought or free thinking or rationality. My lazy mistake and Im not blaming the school per se...but now its kids with playing cowboys and indians or whatever innocent type game getting in big trouble over fingers and its just way overboard.

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-14, 20:57
I graduated HS in 2002. Not far behind you. Just different times these days where anything gun related is zero tolerance. My parents were PISSED at the school. I was doing something good with my free time and I still wear belt buckles from events I won when I was shooting competitively. But you can't argue against zero tolerance because it doesn't allow thought or free thinking or rationality. My lazy mistake and Im not blaming the school per se...but now its kids with playing cowboys and indians or whatever innocent type game getting in big trouble over fingers and its just way overboard.

No doubt, like the little boy who ate his pop-tart in the shape of something that looked like a gun!

But now Holder and Barry want to ease up any student who fits the "if I had a son he would look like ______".

J-Dub
01-08-14, 21:03
The Federal Government has no business sticking their nose in any school district anywhere. The Dept. of Education should have been abolished the day after it was created. Schools should be run at the city, county, or state level. Period.

And Eric Holder should be in prison.

Dienekes
01-08-14, 21:04
As Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit says, putting your kids in public school is parental malpractice nowadays.

The system needs to have its oxygen cut off for good.

Belmont31R
01-08-14, 21:05
No doubt, like the little boy who ate his pop-tart in the shape of something that looked like a gun!

But now Holder and Barry want to ease up any student who fits the "if I had a son he would look like ______".

Thats why I separated my first reply into two parts. ZT and race based discipline are two different things. We have to actually think about things here and realize a kid or young adult who is into competitive shooting is not the same thing as a Crips member who is still in HS. Gangs? Nope. They should be OUT of the school. But that Crips member aint the same as that girl or me who got punished for having legit competition type shooting gear in their vehicle. Its just not. But ZT treats them the same. Right? No...but thats what people have been pushing. Frankly I think its a leftist creation that makes things worse. Like dumbing down humanity to no think just act. Clearly we should be capable of thinking but that seems like a rare commodity these days.

What Holder is proposing is basically affirmative action for race based discipline.

yellowfin
01-09-14, 00:08
Can we finally get rid of the leftist influence in education in total and be done with all of this?

jpmuscle
01-09-14, 04:33
The Federal Government has no business sticking their nose in any school district anywhere. The Dept. of Education should have been abolished the day after it was created. Schools should be run at the city, county, or state level. Period.

And Eric Holder should be in prison.

Here here. I don't understand why people are so amenable to allowing so much intrusion into education by the fed. I honest to god don't.

Sent from my DROID X2

Caeser25
01-09-14, 05:17
So Holder, who has not allowed the FBI to publish their crime demographic stats since he was appointed AG is playing the race card yet again, this time in the public schools.

http://news.yahoo.com/gov-39-t-offers-approach-classroom-discipline-050227013.html

In the age of school shootings God forbid a "child" who skips school to pursue criminal activities, caught "smoking" (crack, weed, etc.) on campus, or carries a weapon (gun free zones mind you) get arrested and thus have a crimnal record.

Give students who happen to be black and or brown a free pass that choose to participate in criminal acts to include gang fights, assaults, gang rapes, shootings, stabbings, narcotic usage, property thefts so on and so forth or face a Federal/DOJ backlash.

Because that worked so well for "no limit" Trayvon Martin.

As Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit says, putting your kids in public school is parental malpractice nowadays.

The system needs to have its oxygen cut off for good.

They still get our property tax money to fund their racket. Not like that will change. The teachers unions would throw a hissy fit if their gravy train were cut off. John Q Stupid and Mary Sheeple would believe the lies that would thrown about if any serious changes were to be discussed.

SomeOtherGuy
01-09-14, 09:58
"Zero tolerance" is appallingly stupid. And from what I've seen it is routinely used against all colors, including WHITE, with stupid, unfair, unjust results. It's a knee-jerk reaction to a problem requiring case by case thought. It appeals to idiots and political weasels. It should be dead as the dodo.

I'm not advocating for race-based decisions either. I'm advocating for elimination of a stupid, stupid, stupid policy.

I was a good kid in high school and never got more than in-school suspension (study hall). Not even a saturday detention. But if did the same things today that I had done then WITHOUT EVEN GETTING IN TROUBLE, I would almost certainly have been expelled under zero tolerance, and maybe even have a trumped-up criminal record. (Just one example - I carried a swiss army knife daily. I think I even used it in front of teachers a few times. Never an issue.) Oh BTW I'm not that old, I graduated from high school in the mid-90's.