PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Spitfire Prism Scopes?

mastiffhound
01-09-14, 00:00
Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum, here is round 2.

I found these by dumb luck. They look to be strictly for AR's or rifles like the FN SCAR. I have a problem with regular red dots and looked a couple of threads over on Leupold's prismatic but gave up on it because of very poor reviews. Anyways, here is the link:http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/spitfire_prism_scopes. It's cheaper than the Leupold by $200 or so for the non magnified and also has a 3x offering for $350 from SWFA (pre-order right now, here:http://swfa.com/Vortex-Spitfire-Prism-Scopes-C9695.aspx). I remember a few guys saying they would be interested in a etched reticle dot type sight and thought this might be worth a look. It does come with the Vortex lifetime warranty, I wouldn't say it would be a patrol or life on the line option but for plinking, shooting hogs, or maybe 3 gun it might be alright.

From what I gather Vortex gets mixed feelings here. I'll say the only scope I ever bought (a Vortex Diamondback 4-12, before I got my Leupolds) from them is still alive and well after going from a very light Savage .30-06, a heavy Savage .308, my Mini-14, and even a short while on my 10/22. I never tried it on my PSA or my BCM, it was just too big for them. I've never bought another Vortex, I just like Redfield's and Leupold's scopes because they usually weigh less and I like their reticles a little more. I'll be looking these over for my .22lr AR upper so if I end up getting one I'll try to do a review.

Mark-VA
01-10-14, 22:07
Your link is broken. Try this: http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/spitfire_prism_scopes

mastiffhound
01-11-14, 00:09
Thanks, I fixed it. Upon further review the Vortex Prism scopes not only look like Primary Arms version but the 3X looks to be using the old PA reticle? Kind of a downer really.

mike240
01-12-14, 15:52
As much as I like my Aimpoint micros, I am about at the point to either change to 1-4 scopes or a Prismatic. The Aimpoint is now a blob and though it can be made clear by prescription, then I can't see my irons on my pistol. I can correct the dominate eye for pistol irons but need an optic that can be focused on the rifle.

A focus ring on the Aimpoint would be awesome but unlikely to happen. A Prismatic is probably coming to my sbr.

mastiffhound
04-23-14, 05:23
Just a update, Vortex no longer lists the Spitfires as "coming soon" and has a "where to buy" link instead. I also came across the Sightmark Wolfhound (seriously?) Prism 3x. Probably junk but I'll never know as sightmark has never been synonymous with quality, at least from what I've heard and read. I'm just looking for an optic for a .22lr AR, but man things are getting a little ridiculous.

The Sightmark's 3x msrp is $419.96 and the Vortex Spitfire 3x has an msrp of $449, what the hell? The concern I have is these companies are getting too damn close or even over to charging what a lower priced Leupold ($400 or more) costs. If I'm paying that much I can get a lovingly American made optic instead of something made in china. Seems like these companies are starting to think way to highly of something made in china.

Do they realize that I can get a Leupold 1.5-4x20 Mark AR MOD 1 with the illuminated firedot reticle for $449 from swfa.com and probably cheaper elsewhere? That is a rugged ass scope for the money and Leupold may have the best warranty and customer service in the business. I haven't been disappointed with anything I've got from Leupold. I'm still waiting to see what Primary Arms 4x Prism will be as they are much more realistic with their prices it seems. Hell, I can get a Bushnell 1-4x24 AR Optics 30mm Rifle Scope with a FFP for $227 if I want something made in china. They've had some good reviews and many seem to like them.

I guess if that's the way it's going to be then I'll have to just get a Leupold or Bushnell. I'll wait for Primary Arms 4x to come out first, a 4x would do nicely on my .22lr. Does anyone else feel like these prices are out of whack or has "made in china" come to mean as good as made in the USA?

Obscenejesster
04-23-14, 14:49
American made doesn't equate to quality. I have a SWFA SS 1x6 that was made in Japan and I can assure you that you will not find better glass under $1000 made in America.

micky_blue
05-16-14, 17:36
While I have never seen, let alone used the Spitfire, Vortex optifs are pretty tough imho. I put one of their small red dots on my 54 cal muzzleloader. It's not the strikefire, maybe the Razr but I dont recall. Anyway I shoot a 400gr cast hollowpoint behind 105gr of blackhorn 209. The rifle has a 20" barrel and is light. I am on my third season with this combo. Besides a new battery last year it has been flawless. If you are concerned, the rifle is one of the knight limited editions called the brush rifle or 54-120.

Micky

SOW_0331
05-17-14, 00:06
American made doesn't equate to quality. I have a SWFA SS 1x6 that was made in Japan and I can assure you that you will not find better glass under $1000 made in America.

I agree. The way SWFA went about ensuring that their lower price optics were high quality was pretty great. Unfortunately, they are now a company I'll never do business with again. Not that they or I are going to hurt from that decision, though I did spend good money through them. The optics however are a quality I'll be happy to use, and next one I purchase will just be one of the gently used variety.

As for American made being better....eehhhh I'm not as inspired by that as I used to be. And I get it, buying American supports freedom and stuff. I'd be happy to pay somewhat higher prices for American made if they lived up to quality. Unfortunately, it seems that in some cases my money will support the opposite of the work ethic I believe to represent the country, which is "mediocre work will be rewarded with high pay". Leupold makes great optics that I've enjoyed in the past but I've seen too much mediocre quality in my experience to assume they'll always shit out golden eggs. The warranties and CS are good enough, but for me I'd rather not need it to begin with.

Its worth learning why some products are cheaper when made overseas. Often, it boils down to labor costs and the fees associated with manufacturing in the US (taxes). Many of the "American made" flag waving brands do nothing more than assemble Chinese parts on US soil. Oakley comes to mind. If the optic you want suits your needs and comes from a reputable manufacturer, I wouldn't hesitate.

RUSKI
07-29-14, 02:14
I have used my Spitfire 3x for nearly 2 full months now. Forgive me but I am new to typing up reviews, so if I miss anything I apologize.

The scope was purchased the first week of June, mounted on my DDV2 and shot a couple of days after. I initially bought the Spitfire because I needed a temporary replacement for my TA31TRD (the ACOG is reserved for the ARX100). By temporary, I mean up to a year + because it is hard to convince my wife that I need/want $1000 + optics. To be honest the Spitfire was an impulse buy while I was shopping at Sportsmans warehouse. At the time it was still a fairly new optic from Vortex and had next to nothing on the web as far as reviews. The company cool aid doesn't count in my book as a worthy source of info. I did buy it because I have yet to have any issues with my Vortex Strikefire red/green dot and that thing has held up incredibly well, I have documented that in other posts. I figured with Vortex' warranty and my past experience the Spitfire it was worth my $350. I also wanted a magnified prism optic versus a 1x prism or red dot plus the idea of always having a reticle appeals to me. I do admit I had quit a bit of buyers remorse after the purchase. The idea of spending a hair more and getting an Aimpoint Pro or a Eotech did cross my mind, but the remorse has definitely passed.

I did my initial 50 & 100 yard zero using American Eagle 62 grain green tip. After that I plinked w/ Independence 55g, Wolf 55g, and PMC bronze. Almost all the shooting was done from a bench. I tested the green and red illumination on a vary sunny day. The green at max setting was barely distinguishable from the black, surprisingly the red on the top 2 out of 5 settings was just fine and bright enough. I shot mostly without the illumination because the etched reticle worked great for me and was vary crisp. I was unhappy initially with how small the reticle is, it tended to get lost at certain times while aiming at darker targets. The red illumination definitely helps. It seemed a bit bigger when I was buying it, but after mounting I it I was a bit shocked at how tiny it appears to me. I was not expecting something too large or a busy reticle like the Burris223 has. I guess for me it just seemed too small until I was used to shooting with it. The glass is clear with no wash out or blurry edges. I have to do a side by side once my ACOG is on another rifle, but for what I paid the glass was great. During my first range session I emptied 6 magazines, with one being a dump just to see if the POA POI would shift or if the sight base would come loose but neither happened. About 2 weeks later I took my DD & Spitfire camping and fishing for 3 days. The rifle was tossed around a ton during the boat rides, hikes, and at our camp site. On our last day we plinked some cans and water jugs. I do admit I was probably a lot harder on the Spitfire than I have ever been on my ACOG. After work the next Monday I was cleaning dirt and small brush out of both the rifle and the scope. I have had the scope out 2 more times since, once to let a buddy try out using a magnified optic and the second time was for some run and gun and off hand shooting practice. While being instructed on my technique the rifle and scope took another good beating, we practiced in a hilly sand pit, with the occasional bumps and drops.

I now have close to 600 rounds shot through this scope. No shift in the POA/POI and surprisingly the factory mount/base has held up great, not once have I had to re tighten the base screws. Besides being depressed about so much ammo being used I have been vary pleased with the Spitfire. I have treated my DD as a truck gun as long as I have had it. The Vortex has surpassed my expectations of a $350 prism scope. I would not mind trying out the PA 4x prism, but after the last couple of months with the Spitfire I will probably just skip it. I understand that a camping trip and 500 + rounds does not qualify as a whole hell of a lot of durability testing. I just figured folks would not mind having some real end user input about this optic. After these last 2 months I decided to replace my wife' PA red dot with a Spitfire and I will be ordering her one shortly. I hope this basic review is helpful to anyone on the fence about trying out one of these.

I am planning on eventually purchasing a TA11 for my DD. I am just not in as much of a rush now that I have used my current set up.

My pics aren't great but I wanted to attach a couple at least. I could barely get the pic with the reticle steadied so I didn't bother capturing both colors. I hope it illustrates how tiny the reticle really is. I am so used to the illuminated BDC reticle on my TA31 that making the change is difficult.

HCrum87hc
07-29-14, 22:33
Thanks for the review Ruski. I've been contemplating picking up a 1x Spitfire, and you've pushed me a bit closer.

RUSKI
07-30-14, 15:13
No problem I am glad it was somewhat helpful. I personally didn't like the 1x reticle, it was to busy for me. I lost too much of what I was aiming at behind the rings within rings, within rings, of the reticle. To be fair though my experience with the 1x was limited to about a minute at the store.

I have to eat some crow for the above statement. The 1x Spitfire is bad ass. Not nearly as busy as I originally thought. The reticle was vary functional and made picking out targets a breeze. I didn't get a chance to spend more than a few minutes with it but it was enough to change my mind. I enjoyed it enough to order my wife a 1x for her rifle. I'll try to put it through its paces once my order from primary arms comes in.

M_Rapp
12-04-15, 23:29
Any update on these?

VIP3R 237
12-04-15, 23:59
I picked up a 1x a few weeks ago and I'm really liking it so far. It's fast and simple to use.

Joe Mamma
12-05-15, 00:51
I love the Vortex 1x Spitfires. I think they are also one of the most underrated optics out there.

They are a great alternative to a traditional red dot sight for a number of reasons. If you have less than perfect vision (like astigmatism or near sightedness), the small center dot is very sharp and far targets might actually be sharper than when viewed with the naked eye. Also, you can still use the sight if your batteries run dead--you only lose the illumination.

Unfortunately, Vortex recently discontinued the 1X models. But you can still find some for a decent price.

Joe Mamma

ColtSeavers
12-05-15, 00:56
I love the Vortex 1x Spitfires. I think they are also one of the most underrated optics out there.

They are a great alternative to a traditional red dot sight for a number of reasons. If you have less than perfect vision (like astigmatism or near sightedness), the small center dot is very sharp and far targets might actually be sharper than when viewed with the naked eye. Also, you can still use the sight if your batteries run dead--you only lose the illumination.

Unfortunately, Vortex recently discontinued the 1X models. But you can still find some for a decent price.

Joe Mamma

I have had one for awhile now and absolutely love it as well as agree with the above.

This is the second time I've read claims of the spitfire 1x being discontinued on tbis forum and have seen no proof of it. Would like to see something to back up that claim.

Also, ADM makes a dedicated QD mount for it now as well:
https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/1139/

M_Rapp
12-05-15, 01:57
I heard Palmetto had these as a Black Friday deal at $154.. bummed I missed that sale!

Hi-Lander
12-05-15, 22:56
I picked one of these up a few weeks ago. Had a new build and wanted something different. Currently run Leupold CQ/T with the CMR2 reticle, and one with the Circle Dot and a Aimpoint Micro on the other AR's.
The glass is very clear, illumination is bright on both red and green even outside in sunlight. Optic will co-witness with BUS. Zeroed easily but have not run many rounds through it yet. So far I like it.

Joe Mamma
12-06-15, 00:52
This is the second time I've read claims of the spitfire 1x being discontinued on tbis forum and have seen no proof of it. Would like to see something to back up that claim.

I spoke with Vortex and they said the 1X Spitfire was being discontinued. It was a few months ago, so it's possible they changed their minds. But I doubt it, particularly given the low sales prices we've been seeing on these. I think these are "closeout" and "being discontinued" prices. I would be happy to be wrong.

Joe Mamma

M_Rapp
12-06-15, 11:49
Missed the Palmetto deal, but this one is $219 http://amzn.to/1N50tZZ

Gunnar da Wolf
12-06-15, 21:28
I purchased one of these in February 2015. It's ridden on my Tavor and a 16" AR carbine. It's very quick and with the carbine I was shooting three rounds touching at 50 yards last week off the bench. I didn't know that old rifle had that level of accuracy left. While on the Tavor I handed it to my wife and she was 100% dinging 8" steel plates at 50 yards off hand.

I hope they're not discontinued, or if they are I hope I can find a couple more on sweetheart deals.

Hi-Lander
12-07-15, 19:13
Cabelas has them on sale this week for $199

M_Rapp
12-07-15, 22:57
Cabelas has them on sale this week for $199

Thanks man! Amazon allowed me to cancel my order and I went the Cabela's route!
Link here for folks looking: http://goo.gl/ZtRGjS

Hi-Lander
12-08-15, 07:48
Thanks man! Amazon allowed me to cancel my order and I went the Cabela's route!
Link here for folks looking: http://goo.gl/ZtRGjS

No problem. Glad to save you some money.

SteveL
12-10-15, 15:58
I just got off the phone with Vortex and the gentleman I spoke with confirmed that the 1x has indeed been discontinued in favor of a newer/updated design called the Spitfire AR 1x. The battery is being changed from a CR2032 to a AAA integrated into the base. He also told me that dealers will be selling these for about $250. He emailed me the new 2016 product catalog with specs, pics, and details, but I have no idea how to save individual pages out of it so I can post them here.

ETA: I think I got it.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo98/fireman325/0001_zpsappb8r5q.jpg

M_Rapp
12-11-15, 01:09
Well dang.. maybe I should have waited!! :)

ColtSeavers
12-11-15, 01:28
That sucks, looks like the tethered caps will be gone, along with the adjustable height base thanks to integrated battery, and I don't see a knob for illumination, so desperately hoping it's hidden on other side not pictured and not button controls.

Might have to pick up another current gen model before they are gone.

Hi-Lander
12-11-15, 06:58
Took my first Gen to the range yesterday for the first time. Was a sunny day here in GA, illumination was bright and zero'd in 4 shots. Ran 200 rounds down range and liked it. I bought this to go along with my Leupold CQ/T. Overall a pretty decent budget optic.
l

SteveL
12-12-15, 12:34
I got to take a look at the 3x in person today at a local gunstore and I was impressed with it. For the price I think I'm going to try out the 1x when I get my Eotech refund.

SteveL
12-15-15, 14:54
That sucks, looks like the tethered caps will be gone, along with the adjustable height base thanks to integrated battery, and I don't see a knob for illumination, so desperately hoping it's hidden on other side not pictured and not button controls.

Might have to pick up another current gen model before they are gone.

Vortex posted this on TOS this morning:

The illumination works from buttons, not a dial. The buttons are located low on the unit, underneath the ocular lens portion of the sight.

ColtSeavers
12-15-15, 16:26
Vortex posted this on TOS this morning:

Thank you for the info.

SteveL
12-15-15, 22:13
Thank you for the info.

No problem.

I'm starting to think I might get the original version before they're all gone.

ColtSeavers
12-15-15, 23:29
No problem.

I'm starting to think I might get the original version before they're all gone.

I had a very serious internal struggle going on to buy another current gen model before they are all gone. I don't need it, but I love the current generation one I have and it is about to disapear.

Damn you Vortex.

I split the difference and bought ETA: another current gen Vortex Spitfire 1x and a Burris Veracity 2-10x42 FFP instead of a similar Vortex and will just not give Vortex any more of my money.

I would not blame you one bit for jumping on a current gen model.

ColtSeavers
12-16-15, 19:05
I had a very serious internal struggle going on to buy another current gen model before they are all gone. I don't need it, but I love the current generation one I have and it is about to disapear.

Damn you Vortex.

I split the difference and bought ETA: another current gen Vortex Spitfire 1x and a Burris Veracity 2-10x42 FFP instead of a similar Vortex and will just not give Vortex any more of my money.

I would not blame you one bit for jumping on a current gen model.

Apologies for the double postand self quote combo. Just realized I completely forgot the most important part (which I added in bold) in my last post....

M_Rapp
12-16-15, 23:50
I got mine installed tonight. Looking through my Magpul sights it appears to be almost perfectly co-witnessed. Be curious how that works out after some range time.

HardToHandle
12-22-15, 14:08
Palmetto State has 1x Spitfires on sale for $149.99.
Of course I already have one on the way.... Nice timing for those replacing Eotechs.

ColtSeavers
12-22-15, 18:27
Palmetto State has 1x Spitfires on sale for $149.99.
Of course I already have one on the way.... Nice timing for those replacing Eotechs.

Of COURSE they are! A week after I already bought my spare/backup/second current gen spitfire 1x....

lawboy
12-22-15, 22:12
Bought one at PSA. I have a Remington/AAC Micro 7 en route for Xmas. I figure this prismatic will be another fun optic to use on it

Nowski87
12-31-15, 16:22
If anyone is looking for the 1x they are on sale for 187.99 with free shipping at Midway.

Gunnar da Wolf
01-05-16, 11:10
Still on sale as of 1/5/16 so it's $179.99 shipped. Too good to pass up so number 2 is enroute.

Thanks for the heads up!

Nowski87
01-08-16, 07:50
Mine showed up yesterday which isn't bad since I ordered it Christmas Day. So far I'm liking it, the illumination on it is fantastic and the eye relief on it is very good too. The only knock I have against it right now is the windage/elevation caps. Since they are tethered together with wire it take two hands the put a cap back on. Other than that I have no complaints thus far.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

SteveL
01-08-16, 13:59
Mine showed up yesterday which isn't bad since I ordered it Christmas Day. So far I'm liking it, the illumination on it is fantastic and the eye relief on it is very good too. The only knock I have against it right now is the windage/elevation caps. Since they are tethered together with wire it take two hands the put a cap back on. Other than that I have no complaints thus far.

I haven't experienced that.

Also, according to an email I received, Bobro will have mounts available very soon, probably next week.

Nowski87
01-08-16, 14:01
A QD mount would be awesome. When I say the caps need tow hands it was really the windage dial. The wire on the cap was tight to the point that the cap wouldn't spin freely.

SteveL
01-08-16, 14:55
A QD mount would be awesome. When I say the caps need tow hands it was really the windage dial. The wire on the cap was tight to the point that the cap wouldn't spin freely.

Just FYI ADM already makes one but I'm holding out for Bobro.

ColtSeavers
01-08-16, 15:40
http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/1139/

Link for the ADM QD Spitfire 1x mount (current capped/tethered turret and 2032 powered dial illumination selector model). No idea if it will be compatible with the next model due for release or not.

SteveL
01-08-16, 16:17
http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/1139/

Link for the ADM QD Spitfire 1x mount (current capped/tethered turret and 2032 powered dial illumination selector model). No idea if it will be compatible with the next model due for release or not.

Vortex Optics posted on TOS that the new model has a "totally different mounting base."

ColtSeavers
01-08-16, 16:54
Vortex Optics posted on TOS that the new model has a "totally different mounting base."

Thank you for the heads up. I figured it would be based on the integral AA battery compartment, but didn't want to misinform anyone.

SteveL
01-09-16, 10:29
Thank you for the heads up. I figured it would be based on the integral AA battery compartment, but didn't want to misinform anyone.

They did specify that a riser will still be involved making absolute or lower 1/3 cowitness possible. I really wish they had stuck with the same base though. Once ADM, Bobro, and anyone else making mounts realizes they changed the base they may discontinue support for the previous version and may decide to drop it altogether. I'm going to jump on a Bobro as soon as they pop up, just in case.

ColtSeavers
01-09-16, 10:38
They did specify that a riser will still be involved making absolute or lower 1/3 cowitness possible. I really wish they had stuck with the same base though. Once ADM, Bobro, and anyone else making mounts realizes they changed the base they may discontinue support for the previous version and may decide to drop it altogether. I'm going to jump on a Bobro as soon as they pop up, just in case.

That was/is my fear as well and why I ordered another ADM QD mount last night right after your heads up about the next version having a different base.

Shame it (the current Spitfire 1x version) didn't get more love or even time in the market to receive more love.

Gunnar da Wolf
01-13-16, 19:09
My second Spitfire arrived this week. Easily shoots itty bitty groups at fifty yards. When it warms up above freezing outside I'll stretch it out a bit.

Has anyone else run into a significant difference in zero if you try to co-witness thru the optic? Both of mine are over four inches different at fifty. Is this a common occurrence with prism sights?

ColtSeavers
01-14-16, 09:37
My second Spitfire arrived this week. Easily shoots itty bitty groups at fifty yards. When it warms up above freezing outside I'll stretch it out a bit.

Has anyone else run into a significant difference in zero if you try to co-witness thru the optic? Both of mine are over four inches different at fifty. Is this a common occurrence with prism sights?

I do not have/did not even try to cowitness mine. Not because I didn't think it's possible, but because the only reason (for me) to use BUIS is if the sight utterly fails somehow. I apologize for not being able to be more helpful.