PDA

View Full Version : The Two Most Interesting New Handguns at SHOT Show This Year

Jer
01-09-14, 07:36
And nope, it's not a single stack, pocket-size 9mm Glock to compete with the Shield, XDs, etc. like the buying public has been clamoring for for years. Believe it or not the two most innovative handguns are coming from Remington & Arsenal.

First up is the Remington R51 which is going to be a 9mm version of an old (early 1900's) but innovative even by today's standards action in a compact and well thought out package. Retail price will be below $400 and they claim it will be in dealers February 1st. You can bet your ass I'll have one of these sooner than later.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/R51-DetailGripSafety-541x660.jpg
http://monderno.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Remington-R51.jpg
http://www.gunsandammo.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/first-look-remington-r51/remington_r51_10.jpg

Up next is the Arsenal Strike One. This is a standard size frame handgun with lots of innovative designs and a few new patents. One design feature is the height of the slide over the frame is SUPER short. This coupled with an aggressive grip & standard size frame will make for a rapid shooter's wet dream due to the recoil mitigation it presents. It's been in production in various calibers for years now but never imported to the US. Arsenal claims we will see it in 9mm in this country this year. Price on this one is still not settled (sounds like sub $800) but assuming it's not too high I will own one of these also.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/strike_one_pistol-tfb.jpg
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/C-585x660.jpg
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/M12068-660x440.jpg
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ArsenalA.jpg

Neither of them is what I would consider very attractive or even aesthetically appealing until you dig into their design features. The beauty, much like my beloved Glock, is in the function.

Which brings me to my final point: As a self proclaimed Glock fanboi I'm saddened to report that with each passing year of Glock's inability to check the pulse of the consumer I'm an owner of more and more handguns by other manufacturers and becoming less and less of a Glock fanboi. Glock may have the lion's share of the market but their inability to adapt to the markets quickly (or at least at all) will be their eventual demise. Not a demise so much as eradicated from the face of the earth but they won't be the volume seller of handguns unless something changes at the corporate level. Market share is going to competition year after year of them not bothering to offer what it is the buying masses are flocking to in record numbers. It should be no surprise that the conceal carry crowd is growing at quickening rates and if Glock still thinks they're G17 (or even G19 these days) is the perfect carry weapon then they're more out of touch with reality than I thought. Their release of a single-stack .380 (Glock 42) to compete with the likes of the LCP and other 'pocket' 380's tells me they agree with this at least in part. Time to wake up Glock, your competitors are beating you at your own innovation game.

BBossman
01-09-14, 07:53
I thought the R51 was a Remington offering...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Jer
01-09-14, 08:08

It is. Edited my error.

signal4l
01-09-14, 08:09

You are correct. There is already a thread started

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-09-14, 09:14
Call me when they come out with a polymer HK P7....

NCPatrolAR
01-09-14, 16:37
I'm digging the Strike One. And check out the size of that slide stop......there's no way that is supposed to be used to release the slide ;)

Moose-Knuckle
01-09-14, 16:47
First up is the Remington R51 which is going to be a 9mm version of an old (early 1900's) but innovative even by today's standards action in a compact and well thought out package.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/R51-DetailGripSafety-541x660.jpg

That looks very similar to the HK P9S.

J-Dub
01-09-14, 17:10
I cant believe Im interested in a new Remington product, but that R51 might have some potential. But Im not ditching my Glocks any time soon..

Jer
01-09-14, 17:29
I cant believe Im interested in a new Remington product, but that R51 might have some potential. But Im not ditching my Glocks any time soon..

I don't plan on ditching the ones I already own as most fit a difference need but my XDs & Shield might get a lot more safe time and a lot less holster time moving forward with that in my possession.

GH41
01-09-14, 17:34
I could do without a slide release lever if yanking the slide released it. My grip (thumb) renders the slide stop useless. Too many years of 1911s with a shelf on the safety! GH

NCPatrolAR
01-09-14, 17:43
I could do without a slide release lever if yanking the slide released it. My grip (thumb) renders the slide stop useless. Too many years of 1911s with a shelf on the safety! GH

Simply train yourself to kick your thumb to the side in order to stop riding the slide stop. Pretty simple

Back to the guns....I like how someone got the "snag proof" sight idea right

Jer
01-09-14, 17:57
Simply train yourself to kick your thumb to the side in order to stop riding the slide stop. Pretty simple

Back to the guns....I like how someone got the "snag proof" sight idea right

Not just the sights on the R51 but the entire gun. This looks like about the most perfect conceal carry weapon for warmer days and lighter clothing in existence (IMHO) if it's as good in practice as it is on paper.

Caeser25
01-09-14, 20:26
Not just the sights on the R51 but the entire gun. This looks like about the most perfect conceal carry weapon for warmer days and lighter clothing in existence (IMHO) if it's as good in practice as it is on paper.

Looks like it might replace my Bodyguard .380 for those warm summer days.

Moose-Knuckle
01-09-14, 20:32
Up next is the Arsenal Strike One.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/strike_one_pistol-tfb.jpg

The more I look at the Strike One I can't help but think that an FN Five Seven had a love child with a Springfield XD (M).

SteyrAUG
01-09-14, 20:43
I'm digging the Strike One. And check out the size of that slide stop......there's no way that is supposed to be used to release the slide ;)

Looks like a Glock slide stop. What am I missing?

NCPatrolAR
01-09-14, 20:56
Looks like a Glock slide stop. What am I missing?

The width, amount of serrations on top, etc. It may look like a Glock slide stop from the side, but look at it from the rear of the gun.

morbidbattlecry
01-09-14, 21:04
I believe The LAV said he would be spending half his days at the Strike One both while at Shot Show on his facebook. If that tells you anything.

SteyrAUG
01-09-14, 21:38
The width, amount of serrations on top, etc. It may look like a Glock slide stop from the side, but look at it from the rear of the gun.

Oh gotcha, you were being sarcastic. Now I'm there.

Damn I need money, both of those are interesting.

wild_wild_wes
01-09-14, 22:07
What is it about the R51 that has everyone so interested?

MountainRaven
01-09-14, 22:42
The more I look at the Strike One I can't help but think that an FN Five Seven had a love child with a Springfield XD (M).

Must have been a threesome, because I'm seeing some (a lot of) Steyr M-A1 there.

I truly do not know.

This is a company that has been cheapening their rifles for several years (poor quality barrels, not-straight actions, poor trigger/safety QC). Produces the pretty "meh" R1 1911. And whose sole products that make them a force to be reckoned with have been in production for over fifty years (in the case of the 700, sixty in the case of the 870). All while being owned by the company that bought EOTAC just to shut it down, Marlin to move in with Remington (with a subsequent loss in quality), Bushmaster to move in with DPMS and Remington - and somehow succeeding in making them even worse, and created Mountain Khakis (presumably from the ruins of EOTAC) as an "outdoor clothing manufacturer for the modern metrosexual" (they have since changed that particular marketing aspect). And all while completely f___ing up the Masada/ACR, screwing the pooch on the Honey Badger, firing the founder of AAC, and shit-canning AAC's R&D division.

The only thing that seems to have any staying power that they have come up with of late is the 300 Blackout.

SteyrAUG
01-09-14, 23:25

Interesting looking handgun in 9mm. Has a bit of Colt pocket pistol and a bit of Makarov but in a more potent caliber. Should also make a nice mid size carry gun. Assuming it has acceptable reliability and accuracy I could see getting one when I finally have the money to spend on guns again.

Jer
01-09-14, 23:51
Arsenal Strike One height over bore & cycle time comparison to popular handguns in segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOirbcsCQ1o

Gunfighter.45
01-09-14, 23:53
Call me when they come out with a polymer HK P7....

I've been thinking the same for many years now. If HK did that or even convert the current line to striker fire...Holy Chit!! I'd would have to use one of my all time favorite movie line. "Game over man! game over!" Hudson Aliens

Moose-Knuckle
01-10-14, 00:06
Arsenal Strike One height over bore & cycle time comparison to popular handguns in segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOirbcsCQ1o

The height over bore ratio reminds me of the Caracal.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-10-14, 00:14
Is Mr. Rogers firing the gun in the video? Tactical sweater over a long sleeve dress shirt?

Jer
01-10-14, 00:15
Is Mr. Rogers firing the gun in the video? Tactical sweater over a long sleeve dress shirt?

aHaha! I was waiting for someone else to notice that because I couldn't stop looking at those sleeves/cuffs and the same thought kept crossing my mind.

"Howdy neighbor"

Whiskey_Bravo
01-10-14, 00:19
aHaha! I was waiting for someone else to notice that because I couldn't stop looking at those sleeves/cuffs and the same thought kept crossing my mind.

"Howdy neighbor"

I could barely pay attention to the damn guns firing, all I could see what Mr. Rogers walking in and changing sweaters and shoes.

SteyrAUG
01-10-14, 00:49
I've been thinking the same for many years now. If HK did that or even convert the current line to striker fire...Holy Chit!! I'd would have to use one of my all time favorite movie line. "Game over man! game over!" Hudson Aliens

I don't think you could do a polymer P7 given that it's basically a 9mm blowback being slowed down by hot gases vented against the frame. Now they could certainly do a striker fired handgun made out of polymer, they have in the past, it just can't be a P7 system.

Big A
01-10-14, 13:26
I am interested in both of these pistols too. Espcially the Strike One.

But why does the R51 have grip screws? I thought it has a ploymer frame?

Doc Safari
01-10-14, 13:31
LAV did a profile of the Strike One on TacTV. It sounds like a heckuva pistol.

The RS1 is sure sexy, but I'll wait until the Beta testing is done. :D

Jer
01-10-14, 13:45
I am interested in both of these pistols too. Espcially the Strike One.

But why does the R51 have grip screws? I thought it has a ploymer frame?
Aluminum frame.

J-Dub
01-10-14, 15:11

Pretty subjective video also, is it just me or does Mr. Rogers appear to be kinda limp wristing it on everything but the Strike One?

Magic_Salad0892
01-10-14, 17:07

It'd melt itself.

Mr blasty
01-10-14, 18:11
Pretty subjective video also, is it just me or does Mr. Rogers appear to be kinda limp wristing it on everything but the Strike One?

Agreed. Should be done in a rest.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

JPB
01-10-14, 19:42
I dunno, as a long time Glock 21 fan, I'm most excited about the Glock 41.

And that video is a crock.

VIP3R 237
01-10-14, 19:46
The Strike One was at last years Shot Show, why is it such a big deal this year?

platoonDaddy
01-10-14, 20:04
The Strike One was at last years Shot Show, why is it such a big deal this year?

I agree, don't recall it being a big item when released in 2012.

http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/strike-pistol-system

Big A
01-10-14, 20:16

I agree, don't recall it being a big item when released in 2012.

http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/strike-pistol-system

I don't think it has actually gone on sale here in the U.S. yet and is supposed to this year. I could be completely wrong but that is what I've gleaned from the internet when looking into it a few months ago. My LGS doesn't have any yet and they have everything and only one guy there knew what it was and didn't know when they'd get one in.

Saginaw79
01-10-14, 20:18

IDK, maybe the different look, or how it resembles that HK with the 'ghost or shadow' sights or whatever they were called, the VPZ70 I think, or its similarity to another HK the P9s. I really dig the look as well, but after being told how great the Remington 870 was compared to my 'cheap' Mossberg, then seeing how crappy the 870 is in comparison, I am leary

Big A
01-10-14, 20:18
Aluminum frame.

Ah, then it needs wood grips. Metal framed guns are supposed to have wood grips. It's the often forgotten eleventh commandment... :)

MountainRaven
01-10-14, 21:30
Ah, then it needs wood grips. Metal framed guns are supposed to have wood grips. It's the often forgotten eleventh commandment... :)

An understandable oversight in light of the fact that guns had yet to be invented when God wrote the first Ten.

;)

Big A
01-10-14, 21:49
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAtRCJIqnk

It was on the stone slab that Moses dropped....

An understandable oversight in light of the fact that guns had yet to be invented when God wrote the first Ten.

;)

wild_wild_wes
01-10-14, 22:43

Only if it's Steel framed is Wood mandated...God did not create Aluminum, it is a newfangled thing and not too different spiritually than Plastic (in that it is also has no Soul).

SteveS
01-10-14, 23:14
I'll let others buy the first ones to prove the pistols work well so I won't have to sent them back to the manufacture for warranty fixes. IMO I avoid first run anything.

Tzed250
01-11-14, 04:26

My Steyr M40-A1 has a super low bore axis also, same designer as the Caracal.

The video is full of bias. You can't see Mr. Rogers left thumb in most of the shots but it is clearly seen when firing the Strike One. He has a higher handhold on the SO.

R0CKETMAN
01-11-14, 04:49

agreed wtf....

near the top of my '14 list. Enjoyed the Tac Episode