PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have quality control concerns with rifles made in 2013?

Opie
01-10-14, 20:21
I was looking at picking up a new Colt 6920, 6933, or possibly a LMT factory carbine, but I am having reservations buying a recently manufactured gun. With all the pressure to build parts/rifles fast over the last 12 months do you think quality control has been overlooked this year? Is my glass half empty again?

unsainted
01-10-14, 20:22
I bought a 2013 Configuration 6920 and have had no issues. Gun has been flawless.

Obscenejesster
01-10-14, 20:23
I guess it depends on the manufacture.

SilverBullet432
01-10-14, 21:03
I bought my DD in may of '13, over 1000 rounds so far not a hiccup.

MSW
01-10-14, 21:09
My Daniel Defense is also 2013 vintage & in 2000 rounds hasn't malfunctioned or had any troubles.

discreet
01-10-14, 21:10
Why would you worry at all if your buying a well know a-ok'd brand. Colt, DD, BCM, Noveske, KAC, LMT etc etc are good to go. You should only worry about it with crap brands that stooped to record lows to push more of their already crap product out. No reason to worry if getting from a good source. Any of the above companies should get you squared away if for any reason there is mfg defects etc.

Vec
01-10-14, 21:17
Ive built 8 rifles in 6 months with careful purchases of parts from all over the web, i think if you purchase from reputable vendors you will be better off and have a rifle just like you want that you assembled yourself.

JAFO72
01-10-14, 21:25
I've only had one issue out of all the parts that I bought over the last 12 mo. Everything else has been quantity vs. quality. I think the quality companies that have been operating for a while, prided themselves on quality from the get go. They did not let the "Great Panic of 2013" sway them. On the other hand there were a few that saw the quick buck, and have since vanished or could not set up a decent production/quality line to stay in time with customer demand.

Flankenstein
01-10-14, 22:37
This seems like a silly question

JAFO72
01-10-14, 23:34

Ok, I'll play your game...Why?

3 AE
01-10-14, 23:42

You're right, it is a silly question. It appears the winter duldrums has brought forth a higher than normal deluge of OCDs, hand wringing, and downright witchcraft based insecurities. OP, just buy something and shoot it. It will put your mind at ease. Enjoy the show!

PaLEOjd
01-10-14, 23:52
Buy a proven quality brand and you won't have any problems at all.
Colt, BCM, and Daniel Defense are the AR platform rifles that I own. Doesn't matter what year they were made, they always work.
I did purchase a lower quality Windham Weaponry rifle this past summer for my nephew, got it really cheap. They do take some short cuts with materials and testing but it has been flawless so far.

OP, what exactly are you looking for with "quality control"?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MrB
01-11-14, 00:15
I just bought a stag-15 last week, and I see no issues with this rifle. It seems to be a good quality made AR 15. Just about any new rifle you decide to buy will give you years of trouble free use, but do some research before you buy, there are some brands out there to avoid.

din
01-11-14, 01:00
My 2013 Bushmaster has 5 flawless rounds through it, should totally be GTG when the SHTF.

Mr blasty
01-11-14, 02:38
I just bought a stag-15 last week, and I see no issues with this rifle. It seems to be a good quality made AR 15. Just about any new rifle you decide to buy will give you years of trouble free use, but do some research before you buy, there are some brands out there to avoid.

Like stag

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

levik97
01-11-14, 03:08
As stated before, I wouldn't worry about when it was made but rather who made it. This forum has a wealth of knowledge about what brands to buy and what brands to not. A Colt will do just fine.

Levi

Iraqgunz
01-11-14, 03:24
Here's my brief thoughts on the issue. Anything made by human hands is subject to screw ups, no company is exempt. When people are under pressure they sometimes crack. So yeah, it can happen. The difference is that some companies actually have good customer service and are established. If you are buying something from Last Week Arms, yeah there may be cause for concern. If you purchase something from companies that have been in business for several years then you have a much greater chance of getting something good. Food for thought;

Regardless of who makes said stuff, ultimately it's up to you to check the weapon BEFORE YOU PAY FOR IT. Look it over just like you would a car or anything else.

This is a buyers market. There are AR's everywhere. Colt, LMT, BCM, KAC, SIONICS, DD, etc... can be found everywhere at good prices. It's up to you to decide what you want and to make sure that it is good to go. If you have to disassemble it, then do it. If you don't know what you are looking for then get someone who KNOWS what they are looking for, buy them lunch and take them with you.

Averageman
01-11-14, 05:43
A reputable Company, a quick going over and Q/A check will will be very helpful.
There are many things you may not be able to see at your local gun store as they may be a bit hesitant to let you strip it down on the glass case as 10 other customers are waltzing through the store.
As said anything made by Man is suspect, but looking for things like proper staking, fit and finish are a good starting point.
I purchased a DD M4 V-7 in 2013 and couldn't be happier with it.

Roklok
01-11-14, 06:02
Nope, all my stuff is BCM.

rapomstage3
01-11-14, 06:29
I bought in February 2013 and had some considerable issues. Luckily I bought from a reputable company and everything was taken care of quickly as was expected.

GUNFUN
01-11-14, 07:37
My LMT CQB has been flawless like I thought it would be.

cjb
01-11-14, 12:08
Things I've gotten recently:

Two Ruger Bearcats - one was horribly out of time and transfer bar would stick in the frame. Ruger made it right very quickly.

Colt 6920, a few small cosmetic only type of issues, where they put the roll pins in the lower. Other than that, perfecto.

FNX-45, perfection

Noveske upper, 10.5" basic - had a finish flaw or bubble in the finish that I thought was a mis-machined area at the base of the rail section where it meets the tubular section. I knew it was cosmetic, but thought it was machining. Then it fell off! Now there's a very tiny crescent of bare alumium there. Very strange, all cosmetic, but I have no idea how that could happen during anodizing. The bubble was not aluminum swarf. Weird.

Del-Ton stripped lower - perfect in every way, much to the amazement of a lot of folks here I'm sure

Taurus Judge - one cylinder needed to have the star fitted to it a little better. About 30 seconds with a sanding drum on a Dremel, followed by a rubber wheel. No biggie.

BCM H2 buffer, arrived with the roll pin holding the polymer end half way out. I mean it was out by 1/4 inch or slightly more. I can't figure this one out at all. I can see it happening, but I can't see it being getting into a box to me that way, it was that obvious. The pin drove home tight, so....it didn't fall out in shipping. Just got that yesterday.

MagPul PMag - the one that came with the Colt launched its left side rail before it ever got put into the rifle. About 20 cartridges into loading it, I gave it a slap to seat the rounds a little, and instead of seating, they spewed out. Rail gone, in the grass someplace. Thats my first PMag, my last. I saved the spring, threw the rest away.

MagPul MBUS - like another guy here, my MBUS would not release using the left side release lever. Without taking it apart, it was clear that the left side was a little twisted at the pivot area, and I was able to slightly fit the notched part with an emery board. Works great now. BTW, pulling up on the left release while folding the sight down, made the parts interact and smoothed out its operation past what the emery board was able to do (because the sight was not disassembled). No complaints now.

MagPul MBUS #2 - on my Del-Ton/Noveske ... perfect.

PSA lower parts - perfect, zero issues

Geissele SSA-E - perfect, zero issues

Thats my story, and I'm stickin' to it! Here's the thing - human error happens. I can live with human error in assembly. From my viewpoint, there's not a product issue in design, or materials, or overall finish. Its just that some doofus needing some coffee got distracted, or rushed due to demand, or both. I go through this daily in the stuff I deal with for my own customers (unrelated field). Its how you handle things that counts. Ruger was tops. The rest of any issue was a little anal cosmetic thing, or not worth dealing with, in the case of the PMag, or so easily corrected, not worth bitching about, at least until this thread came along.

Iraqgunz
01-11-14, 17:48
Right now everyone wants to sell product. If I can't do a BASIC disassembly then I will move on to another store. Of course, I don't buy factory AR's so it's a non-issue for me.

A reputable Company, a quick going over and Q/A check will will be very helpful.
There are many things you may not be able to see at your local gun store as they may be a bit hesitant to let you strip it down on the glass case as 10 other customers are waltzing through the store.
As said anything made by Man is suspect, but looking for things like proper staking, fit and finish are a good starting point.
I purchased a DD M4 V-7 in 2013 and couldn't be happier with it.

T2C
01-11-14, 17:56
If you understand the inner workings of the firearm you want to buy, examine it closely before buying. This applies to any firearm, including new manufactured. If you are not mechanically inclined, take a friend who knows how to inspect a firearm for obvious issues when going shopping for a firearm.

I have not been impressed with several brand new firearms I inspected at the dealer, including those made by firearm manufacturers who are said to be the bee knees of the firearms world.

Check it out before you buy it!

T.B.
01-11-14, 18:46
I purchased a 2013 config Colt LE6920. I Stripped it completely down and have put a 1000 rounds thru it. The gun is flawless. I didn't even have a scuff or scratch on it that most people comment about. Buy with confidence.

But, If I was looking to buy a gun right now...... I would wait a little longer and buy a BCM complete rifle with the lightweight setup and KMR rail system.

CHIMO
01-12-14, 07:38
If your working with a reputable well known company it shouldn't be an issue. Some Bubbas Guns company I would stay away.

_Stormin_
01-12-14, 09:30
Reputable company, I would have zero qualms in buying sight unseen. These are the Bravo Co, Colt, KAC, Noveske, Sionics, DD, etc... Just a few of the many companies that I would not lose sleep over. Should something go wrong, I know that these companies are going to stand behind their product without hesitation.

TacticalMark
01-12-14, 11:31
Reputable company, I would have zero qualms in buying sight unseen. These are the Bravo Co, Colt, KAC, Noveske, Sionics, DD, etc... Just a few of the many companies that I would not lose sleep over. Should something go wrong, I know that these companies are going to stand behind their product without hesitation.
I agree, buying from a reputable company is key.

The_War_Wagon
01-12-14, 12:51
I was thinking the same thing about firearms made in 2008. And 1992, before that.

Yeah, you can find a dud made ANY year; you still gotta watch out for the Monday morning/Friday afternoon specials, too. But with CNC machining these days, the chances of a real screwup, would be more likely related to poor metallurgy and use of poor quality parts, that you would find in a lower tier rifle.

Buy QUALITY, and worry less. Because higher quality will also ensure a mfg. who stands behind their product with a good warranty.

C4IGrant
01-12-14, 13:05
I was looking at picking up a new Colt 6920, 6933, or possibly a LMT factory carbine, but I am having reservations buying a recently manufactured gun. With all the pressure to build parts/rifles fast over the last 12 months do you think quality control has been overlooked this year? Is my glass half empty again?

I wouldn't have any concerns with those two brands.

C4

3ACR_Scout
01-12-14, 15:51
Anything made by human hands is subject to screw ups, no company is exempt. When people are under pressure they sometimes crack. So yeah, it can happen. The difference is that some companies actually have good customer service and are established.
Agreed. I bought a BCM carbine last spring, and after bringing it home, I discovered that the receiver extension was canted (rotated) slightly to one side, by only about 4 or 5 degrees, but it was noticeable to me. I contacted, and they asked me to send photos, and then had me ship the lower back to them. They adjusted it and shipped it right back the same day. I think it was probably a result of the rush to catch up with the demand in early 2013. It in no way affected my opinion of their high standard of quality, and I appreciated their quick response. Like IG said, manufacturers are human - it's how they address issues that often sets them apart.

Dave

KCBRUIN
01-12-14, 16:08
Companies that value the quality of their products will still build quality products. Those that are out to make a quick buck, will continue to build crap.

Bear1
01-13-14, 05:37
FWIW I purchased a 6920mpb in Dec 13 ... Zero issues after 1500 rds

eperk
01-13-14, 05:57

You did what???

ennbeegunny15
01-13-14, 08:20
You did what???

noobs, they didn't read the stickies or do much research as far as i can tell. i sense these trends from the different forums. they'll hang a bunch of crud off of their rifles. they'll shoot a little bit and say it's flawless. i had a guy at the range bad mouth my bcm, saying it was too expensive, and that his del-ton was cheaper and better than my bcm. as i kept shooting my "crap" bcm, he kept having ftf, fte issues....maybe they'll come around, maybe they won't.

223Rem
01-14-14, 03:51
Would not any rifle sight unseen, but then again I had no money to buy a new rifle in 2013 anyway.

Doc Safari
01-14-14, 10:10
Anything made by human hands is subject to screw ups, no company is exempt. When people are under pressure they sometimes crack.

Agreed. During the panic surrounding the 1994 ban even Colt was producing some rough rifles. I got more than one with a rusted part on it somewhere. We're not talking junk car rust, but definite surface corrosion. I'm guessing they were assembling rifles so fast they were having to use every part available and not just perfect ones. Who knows?

My first BCM rifle I got in 2010 had a couple of obvious casting flaws or scratches inside the upper. The gun runs fine so I don't worry about it.

hatidua
01-14-14, 10:19
I was looking at picking up a new

The entire issue is a moot point: no matter what brand AR you pick, it's going to be 'recently manufactured' as the Dec'12-Mar'13 frenzy cleared the shelves of anything made prior.

Beat Trash
01-14-14, 10:51
I have bought a pair of Colt 6920's and a couple of DD rifles. All made in early 2013. All have been made to the same level of quality as similar guns made prior to the rush in 2013. I think if you stick with reputable companies, you'll be fine.

I have seen some companies that have had slips in their QC as they ramp up production. But these are also the same companies that I wouldn't bother buying from anyway.

Hank6046
01-14-14, 14:33
I bought my DD in may of '13, over 1000 rounds so far not a hiccup.

Same here, V5 purchased in May just under over 1,000rds through it and not a problem except from a basic charging handle which was rubbing against upper receiver, changed right away to a BCM Mod4 and problem went away. Biggest problem with major manufactures is when they let the accountants do the innovating, aka the Freedom Group.

DarkTemplars
01-14-14, 17:49
No, but mine is a Wilson......