PDA

View Full Version : Sig Mk. 25 guide rod length...more Sig QC issues?

TMS951
01-11-14, 10:27
Today I went to my LGS with an itch for another gun.

I don't own a Sig, I'm mostly a Glock guy and I am in the midst of trying to change to Walther PPQ. Unfortunately accessories for my PPQ are scarce, as are mags.

I understand the QC issues with Sig. I still kind of wanted one, you know just to have a Sig. The Mk.25 appealed to me, if I get a sig it will be 9mm. Low and behold they had one today.

I looked at it, it seemed neat. But then I noticed something, all the other Sigs in the case had guide rods that came all the way to the end of the slide. Not the MK.25 with the slide forward you could see the recoil spring. To me this just does not seem like a reliability enhancement, I looked at Sigs website and it showed the full length guide rod. I asked the employee at the LGS he shrugged his shoulders, took the gun from me and put it in the case.

So if anyone was wondering if the civilian MK.25 were built to better QC standards I am going to go with a solid no, I guess I won't be adding a sig to the collection after all.

Pic: you can look into it and see the recoil spring

signal4l
01-11-14, 10:39
That doesn't look right.

One of my PD's 220 pistols (2010 vintage) had the incorrect guide rod installed at the factory. The officer couldnt push the take down lever to disassemble the gun. I was able to get it apart. The guide rod was plastic. The recoil spring was yellow instead of green. The back of the guide rod deformed a bit and allowed the spring to jump over the rear.. I called the LE rep and was told that someone at the factory must have grabbed the wrong guide rod/spring when the gun was built. The plastic rods were supposed to only go in non-le guns. The yellow spring remains a mystery. I dont know what model uses those

My experience with the new Sig pistols has been less than positive. If I were Sig shopping I would pick up a low mileage 228/226 with a 2 piece slide.

Swag
01-11-14, 11:11
The LGS employee placed it back into the sales display case? Instead of removing it from the sales inventory to have the problem addressed. I guess it's "pass the buck". Unless I'm missing something here?

TMS951
01-11-14, 11:15
The LGS employee placed it back into the sales display case? Instead of removing it from the sales inventory to have the problem addressed. I guess it's "pass the buck". Unless I'm missing something here?

It certainly was, after that I got up and left the store. My comment to him was "None of the other sigs are like this, it looks like dirt could get in there and jam it up." His response was "I guess you don't want it then", and there its sits until an unsuspecting customer buys it.

Swag
01-11-14, 11:41
It's deuches like that who give honest LGSs a bad name.

johnson
01-11-14, 11:43
I have an MK25 and the guide rod looks like this.

http://www.tactical-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/_dsc9962.jpg

HKGuns
01-12-14, 11:20
Before everyone jumps off the bridge, did you actually take the slide down and verify it was assembled correctly?

Anything is possible and unless you took it apart and verified the part wasn't dimensionally sound it is a bit of a leap to jump to SIG quality concerns without more information.

Talon167
01-12-14, 12:00
Before everyone jumps off the bridge, did you actually take the slide down and verify it was assembled correctly?

Anything is possible and unless you took it apart and verified the part wasn't dimensionally sound it is a bit of a leap to jump to SIG quality concerns without more information.

I was going to suggest the same thing.

TMS951
01-12-14, 12:10

In the picture I posted you can see into the front of the gun, there you can see the recoil spring. Sigs website, and the picture a member posted both show a guide rod that rests int eh front of the slide with it forward. The 15 other sigs in the case had guide rods even with the end of the slide. With the slide back you could see there was I fact a guide rod installed, it is however a half to quarter inch to short. I would think it belongs in a compact model.

KCBRUIN
01-12-14, 13:23
What's up with the sig wrap on the grip? Looks old, and doesn't look like it fits properly. Is this a used gun?

gtmtnbiker98
01-12-14, 14:30
Wow, lets just trash the MK25 based on an example of '1' in a local LGS. Damn. So, before the word 'QC' is brought up, just how many rounds were fired? I thought so.

Swag
01-12-14, 14:36
Hmm, this is more about the LGS and the nonchalant attitude towards intentionally selling a firearm with a known issue.*

ETA: *I haven't witnessed any SIG bashing in this thread. No need to go full contact Fanboi...

bluejackets92fs
01-12-14, 14:50
My guess is one of the employees was dicking with the gun and just put it together wrong to where the recoil spring got caught on the guide rod.

What's up with the sig wrap on the grip? Looks old, and doesn't look like it fits properly. Is this a used gun?
The MK25 comes with a different colored band. It is normal.

KCBRUIN
01-12-14, 15:58
Copy that.

Vendetta
01-12-14, 16:35
I don't think he was meaning to go full retard on it, more so that the title of the thread and the original post makes it seem like this is a Sig issue rather than the weapon was reassembled improperly. Who knows if it came like that from the factory or if someone took it apart and had no idea what they were doing. Without taking it apart, there isn't really a way to tell.

His point was, just because he looked at a gun and saw something that didn't look right, doesn't mean it's a Sig quality control issue. Other than the original post hinting towards Sig's quality control as lacking, I don't see the point of this thread. He looked at a gun at a gun store, didn't buy it, cool story. That's far from any kind of evaluation to say that guns lack quality control. I've owned 2 Sigs during their quality control issue. I put thousands of rounds through them without an issue.

Talon167
01-12-14, 19:59
Go somewhere else and buy one there. Done.

G19A3
01-12-14, 20:45
With your description of the LGS employee's attitude, I'm surprised he allowed you to take a pic of the gun, through the glass case or not. Nevermind field stripping the Sig down to see what was up with the RSA. Definitely dooshville.

I got to say, that pic is really odd and there is definitely something wrong with that particular specimen.

You read on all the gun forums, a lot of gun purchasers who discovered something obviously wrong with their new guns AFTER getting them home. Not anal retentive imperfections, but sometimes outright major QC issues, from all manufacturers.

Whether buying a gun (new or old), a car, a chia-pet, heck any product....always inspect before laying the money on the counter.

I remember when I purchased my first, new Colt AR preban during the '94 insanity and their accompanying prices. The Colt had a deep, half-inch long gouge to the white on the FSB. I kindly asked the LGS employee for another sample "from the back." He stated, "If you don't like the next one, I'm not going to get all my inventory out for you." WTF?? I'm spending good money at the then inflated market value for a new gun. I don't care if it came from the factory that way, UPS gorilla-delivered that way, or LGS employee mishandling that caused the gouge. Caveat emptor.

HKGuns
01-12-14, 22:35
In the picture I posted you can see into the front of the gun, there you can see the recoil spring. Sigs website, and the picture a member posted both show a guide rod that rests int eh front of the slide with it forward. The 15 other sigs in the case had guide rods even with the end of the slide. With the slide back you could see there was I fact a guide rod installed, it is however a half to quarter inch to short. I would think it belongs in a compact model.

Yes I can see that.....regardless, my comment still stands as valid, you obviously verified nothing about the pistol only the people, which supports my theory even more.

johnson
01-12-14, 22:57
TMS951, if you really wanted an MK25 there is a seller on GB who has it for $799 shipped which is where I got mine. I don't think you can beat that price in any LGS with tax.

ST911
01-12-14, 23:00
Sig has had some issues, which have been discussed at length in other threads. With that said, several friends have Mk25s, none look like that, and all run well. They (and the new M11) seem to be more consistent compared to current commercial production at large.

It's possible that LGS employees were dinking with the gun. It's possible that the gun was assembled improperly at Sig. At this point, the proper thing to do/have done is alerting the LGS management that there's a problem with the gun and not buy it.

On several occasions at various retailers, I've identified guns in altered, unsafe, or misrepresented condition. How the store responded to the information helped me make decisions about where to conduct business.

JRNLS
01-19-14, 12:35

No problem with mine !

MAUSER202
01-21-14, 18:25
Mine looks normal and is flawless in function.

HCM
01-23-14, 09:04
Y
Sig has had some issues, which have been discussed at length in other threads. With that said, several friends have Mk25s, none look like that, and all run well. They (and the new M11) seem to be more consistent compared to current commercial production at large.

It's possible that LGS employees were dinking with the gun. It's possible that the gun was assembled improperly at Sig. At this point, the proper thing to do/have done is alerting the LGS management that there's a problem with the gun and not buy it.

On several occasions at various retailers, I've identified guns in altered, unsafe, or misrepresented condition. How the store responded to the information helped me make decisions about where to conduct business.

This ^^^^

At my old LGS in GA, I was looking at a S&W M&P 40 cal and noticed it had a 9mm barrel ! They pulled the gun , verified it was supposed to be a 40 and sent it back to S&W.

Fast forward to 2012. Im at a LGS here in TX looking at a Used AR - BCM mid length LW upper on an RRA lower. I ask to see the gun and notice something amiss as I clear it. Long story short, it had an M2 training bolt, which is a one piece bolt/carrier designed to fire plastic training ammo. I'm not sure what would happen if you fired a live round with an M2 bolt but I don't think it would be good. I let them know about the issue - they just smiled thanked me and promptly sold it.