PDA

View Full Version : Shoot Straight Stops Gun Rentals

sandman99and9
01-11-14, 15:40
I guess after the multiple suicides at their gun ranges they have finally decided to stop renting guns. If you are from the central Florida area then you are familiar with this chain of stores/ranges. I have used the ranges a number of times but always felt a little uneasy since they have no RSO anywhere, just a security camera. The store in Apopka is very nice and has a ton of firearms and gear but I just do my window shopping there to see what fits my hand or catches my eye.

I don't think it will hurt the $$ they take in since everything is way overpriced at Shoot Straight :(

Got to love the comments on the story, always good for a laugh.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/local-gun-shop-chain-makes-big-safety-change/-/1637132/23878486/-/150iykvz/-/index.html

S.M.

R0CKETMAN
01-11-14, 16:31
Too bad. I'm sure it will curtail but not eliminate the occasional dumbass.

T2C
01-11-14, 16:35
We have a LGS that rents handguns. This is something that has been discussed. I sent them the link to the story.

HES
01-12-14, 12:42
Guess all the suicide candidates will have to go to Shooters World in Tampa now.

TMS951
01-12-14, 13:02
This has happened at a range that rents local to me. This past summer a guy walked down the lane and shot himself with a rented gun.

To me it's not something you can stop, nor do I think it's a reason to stop renting guns. That kind of seems like deciding to ban assault rifles because of a crazy shooting up a school or movie theater.

The problem is not guns it's mental illness

Swag
01-12-14, 13:55
These types of suicides...it seems they desire the attention. Why else would they commit the act in such a public manner?

sandman99and9
01-12-14, 20:28
I think Shoot Straight has had 4 or 5 suicides in the last several years or so but I may be off a bit on the number. I think most if not all were with rented guns. I have actually rented guns that I was thinking of buying to see how they shoot and feel in my hand but never at Shoot Straight.

S.M.

Palmguy
01-12-14, 20:40
These types of suicides...it seems they desire the attention. Why else would they commit the act in such a public manner?

It's an easy way to get a gun when they don't already have one. These range suicides never happen (at least in CFL) with personally owned firearms.

SM, I think there have been more than that at SS in the past few years. 8 is in my head for some reason...

I think a policy of continuing to rent but only to those who bring in guns of their own or have a CWFL would make sense, but perhaps Khaled's insurance writer disagrees...

SteyrAUG
01-12-14, 23:08

No different than jumping off a bridge or a rooftop. Mostly it's assholes who don't care if their death traumatizes or even injures others.

I don't mind if a person wants to "check out", it's their life and if they find it intolerable nobody else should have any say. They should actually be able to go to a clinic and pay $25.00 for the suitable sedatives and injections.

But that's way too civilized for some to contemplate and makes one completely responsible for their fate which many others can't accept. I just wish they'd figure out a correct OD dosage and do it at home, making sure to leave a message with somebody so they don't spend a week in their home undiscovered.

I could understand and respect such a decision. But when people kill themselves in public by shooting themselves, stepping into traffic or jumping off tall buildings they put everyone around them at risk of injury or death. The only good thing that can be said is we are well rid of such people who have no consideration for others.

SteyrAUG
01-12-14, 23:09
Back OT, lack of another rental opportunity sucks.

There is no better way to figure out which gun is "best for you" than taking a few for a test drive. Round count and service history info (assuming the dealer provides it and it's accurate) from rental guns is also very useful information to potential buyers.

nimdabew
01-13-14, 10:46
Florida should ban suicide. Then suicide would never happen. Think of the children!

Iraqgunz
01-13-14, 10:54
Unless someone has something useful to add, keep the silly comments to yourself.