PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Swiss 55x rifle

SmokinGunMP5
01-11-14, 23:07
Since I know there are a few 55x owners on this forum I thought I'd ask here. I wish I could post images but I do not own a camera.

I've field stripped my Swiss 551 carbine and cleaned it on multiple occasions. I've yet to fire the weapon.(read no real experience)

I keep wondering what the copper/orange color is along the inner 'seams' of both the upper and lower receiver.
I fear it's rust but its uniformity and neatness seems peculiar. No pitting that I could find.

I've wiped the areas down with Rem Oil wipes and all that comes back is black/dirt.

Wondering if anyone knows.

JoshNC
01-12-14, 06:59
You are seeing the furnace brazing. Swiss receiver components are furnace brazed and welded to the outer sheet metal. The bronze color is spillover of the brazing and is completely normal.

SmokinGunMP5
01-12-14, 08:18
Thanks Josh!
Learned something new.

TMS951
01-12-14, 12:26
How come you have cleaned it multiple times but not shot it, how is it getting dirty? What are you actually cleaning off of it?

SmokinGunMP5
01-12-14, 19:13
I've just been too lazy/busy with other stuff.

It's the previous owners left overs, though it's hardly much if anything.
I'm cleaning the joints/corners most people I imagine would gloss over.

TurretGunner
01-16-14, 09:00
I've just been too lazy/busy with other stuff.

It's the previous owners left overs, though it's hardly much if anything.
I'm cleaning the joints/corners most people I imagine would gloss over.

Why? You do more damage to a gun overcleaning it then actualy shooting it.

There is no reason whatsoever to keep messing with it.

SmokinGunMP5
01-16-14, 12:58
I hear yah.
I only ever clean unfired guns once every 1-2 months.
Bought a ZCORR bag/case for the rifle since I absolutely hate rust.

TurretGunner
01-16-14, 15:05
I hear yah.
I only ever clean unfired guns once every 1-2 months.
Bought a ZCORR bag/case for the rifle since I absolutely hate rust.

Why are your guns rusting? Unless they are every day carry guns, propperly stored they should never rust. Even inpropperly stored, the chance of rust is pretty rare.

Bags and cases TRAP moisture in.... Safes should have some sort of dehumidifier to keep it dry. Even in a humid climate, it's easy to store propperly.