PDA

View Full Version : Time for some upgrades..help!

RedXd
01-12-14, 14:10
Ok so after a few years and countless rounds my scuffed up AR has only seen a couple changes: a midlength MOE and a LMT SOPOMOD (Gen1). Now it's time for a upgrades. Currently I'm sporting a Aimpoint M4/QRP, Surefire 6P in a Vtac offset mount and a Vickers sling strapped. I do love the top heavy brick in my Aimpoint, and my Vickers sling only needs a QD swivels added. LMT give me the ideal cheek weld, so still loving that. This is a all purpose, do everything from the farm to fun and my go to when things go bump in the night. The only mission I'm adding to the list is helping the eradication of our local wild pigs. I'm considering ditching my FSB, and getting a low powered variable optic as well (even though I do like having the redundancy FSB). I'm also digging the idea of mounting a light that will throw a serous beam in the dark some distance and have the ability to take advance of a couple different filters. It's also time get a free float rail and I may as well go with a Keymod. And at this early stage I have no idea who has the best offerings for my needs. So with all of this said, what would be the changes/upgrades you would preform?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Sasahara
01-12-14, 17:08
It seems like you are generally happy with what you have going right now. It is pretty much down to what rail profile you like more. Looking at a specific rail length ?

PA PATRIOT
01-12-14, 17:59
I would have to suggest that you replace any critical parts that are not to actual Mil-Spec standards such as your bolt, extractor, buffer tube etc.

Many folks still run 8620 bolts and extractors with 6160 tubes and no name springs. I too was guilty of this and recently rectified the issue by replacing all my substandard parts with the current Mil-Spec standard.

Will it make a difference? Hopefully so.

discreet
01-12-14, 18:14
Ok so after a few years and countless rounds my scuffed up AR has only seen a couple changes: a midlength MOE and a LMT SOPOMOD (Gen1). Now it's time for a upgrades. Currently I'm sporting a Aimpoint M4/QRP, Surefire 6P in a Vtac offset mount and a Vickers sling strapped. I do love the top heavy brick in my Aimpoint, and my Vickers sling only needs a QD swivels added. LMT give me the ideal cheek weld, so still loving that. This is a all purpose, do everything from the farm to fun and my go to when things go bump in the night. The only mission I'm adding to the list is helping the eradication of our local wild pigs. I'm considering ditching my FSB, and getting a low powered variable optic as well (even though I do like having the redundancy FSB). I'm also digging the idea of mounting a light that will throw a serous beam in the dark some distance and have the ability to take advance of a couple different filters. It's also time get a free float rail and I may as well go with a Keymod. And at this early stage I have no idea who has the best offerings for my needs. So with all of this said, what would be the changes/upgrades you would preform?

Only you will know the upgrades you will need as everyones needs and tastes differ from the next.

You should have a fairly good idea about what you want to change with the time you've spent using the gun. Light wise, 500 lumens is pretty bright. Surefire also has the new 1k lumen fury light that is about the brightest you can go without adding crazy weight to the gun.

Now for a free floating rail, depends if you want to keep the factory barrel nut. If so, fortis is extremely light and uses the normal barrel nut on there now if you have normal handguards.

As for scopes, depends on how much weight you want to add. Can get 9 oz leupold 1-4 scopes and throw it in a 3 oz aero precision mount to keep weight down. Like said it's all preference and how much weight you want to add.

Also, having the fsb doesn't do anything when running a scope. You won't even notice it's there. Many even run 12 o'clock sure fire x300's with a scope without issue. I wouldn't ditch an fsb just because you want a scope, as your may not even like the scope on there, or will want to switch back and forth.

Hope that help.

Quick Draw
01-12-14, 18:51
I would consider a trigger upgrade as my first change. Geiselle is a good place to start. SSA or my favorite SSA-E are good choices.

A free float rail would complement the trigger and possibly lead to improved accuracy. There are numerous options in brand, style, features, price range, and ease/diffulty of installation.

Good luck. I believe you will enjoy your rifle even more after the modifications.

Keep us posted on your progress.

MistWolf
01-12-14, 19:00
...having the fsb doesn't do anything when running a scope. You won't even notice it's there...

You will notice it if the FSB is taller than the center of the reticle even if you don't know why it's driving you crazy

discreet
01-12-14, 19:24
You will notice it if the FSB is taller than the center of the reticle even if you don't know why it's driving you crazy

I've never noticed a thing w a surefire x300 at the 12. But then again my scope isn't dragging it's nuts on my rail due to excessively low rings. Aero Precision LW mount brings it up perfectly to run fsb.

RedXd
01-12-14, 21:45
Your right I have spent page lot of time behind the gun and not as much on here as I once did. And while that hones one skill set it certainly has put me behind with the latest offerings that actually work as advertised. 500 lumens is only 4X's the light I have now haha. As long as the beam is tightly focused I should be good there. Seems the new kids on the block is from the Keymod genealogy so I'll adopt one. I'm checking out the rail you suggested now. I love Leupold and the weight will be a factor trying to keep it light as possible so the rings is a go too. Great suggestions. Trigger should have been mentioned and your right it's time to replace it with something a little more crisp but not too light. Solid input fellas....now what to do with the damn FSP.

discreet
01-12-14, 23:14
Your right I have spent page lot of time behind the gun and not as much on here as I once did. And while that hones one skill set it certainly has put me behind with the latest offerings that actually work as advertised. 500 lumens is only 4X's the light I have now haha. As long as the beam is tightly focused I should be good there. Seems the new kids on the block is from the Keymod genealogy so I'll adopt one. I'm checking out the rail you suggested now. I love Leupold and the weight will be a factor trying to keep it light as possible so the rings is a go too. Great suggestions. Trigger should have been mentioned and your right it's time to replace it with something a little more crisp but not too light. Solid input fellas....now what to do with the damn FSP.

Yup keymod seems to be the rave now. Fortis is nice IMO because it uses stock barrel nut, and has the 6 o'clock rail which IMO is a plus if you decide you want a bipod, vfg/afg etc. Many other options but imo for 11ish oz for a 14in rail, its pretty darn light. That mixed with 2 smaller 3/9 o'clock rails to mount a light on.

Just an idea, but there is an order of things that may help with your fsb decision, but to try running a scope before messing with the rail, and see if it works out for you with it on and go from there. The aero mount like said sits a tad higher than other mounts and imo shouldn't be an issue with a fsb but always worth seeing if it works for you or not.

Definitely check out surefire lights on BCM's website. They have the EAG version of both the 500 and 1k lumen fury lights.

I'm sure many others will chime in. Really just mentioning what has worked for me, but like noted, what may work for me may not for others etc. Really why I haven't mentioned fcg's too much as that is way more finicky with personal pref (I like CMC fcg's and ALG ACT's), but others sweat by the infamous G brand, KAC, American Gold etc etc. Almost like finding a chick as there are so many different types and flavors now that it's not even funny.

MistWolf
01-12-14, 23:19
I've never noticed a thing w a surefire x300 at the 12. But then again my scope isn't dragging it's nuts on my rail due to excessively low rings. Aero Precision LW mount brings it up perfectly to run fsb.

If the light is mounted directly on the rail, it should be low enough that it won't block the center of the reticle, so there is no problem there. But I'm talking about the front sight itself. If the scope is mounted low enough it blocks the center of the reticle, it will block line of sight even if the front sight is greyed out to the point it's a bare shadow. It's my preference not to have an FSB when using a scope. More eye strain than I want to put up with

levik97
01-12-14, 23:47
Obviously this depends on your budget and what changes are going to be the best for YOU, but there are several things you can do if your just wanting to spend some money. First, I would make sure you have plenty of ammo and mags. Any new gun legislation gets introduced and these things are GONE. Next, I would invest in a training class. It's also a good idea to have a spare BCG. Now getting into the rifle itself, Geissele Automatics makes great two stage triggers (the SSA being the most popular and the one I would choose). For a light, you could go with Surefire or Elzetta. I would probably go with the two cell 630 lumen Elzetta but they make a three cell 900 lumen model also. If I was going the Surefire route I would probably get the M600 Scout which throws 500 lumens. You might consider trading your Aimpoint Comp M4 for a Micro T-1 and if you wanted more magnification you could get a magnifier. Nothing wrong with the M4 I just prefer the Micros. For a Keymod I personally would probably wait for BCM to release theirs. That's going to be a few months though. Good luck!

Levi

P.S. The above is only my opinions and they are not necessarily the best options for YOU!