PDA

View Full Version : How does a K9/police dog know who to go after???

NYH1
01-13-14, 01:48
Watching cops or any other show where police dogs show up and go after bad guys, I've often wondered.....how does the dog know who to go after and bite and who not to bite? There will be half dozen officers on the ground trying to get cuffs on a guy and in most cases the dog will go right after the bad guy. How does he/she know the difference between a bad guys the a good guys/cops? Everyone smells different, sounds different, acts different. They often dress the same, but still.

I was watching cops the other day. About 8 officers and a K9 officer went into a back yard where a guy was trying to hide in a little tree. 4 or 5 of them tried pulling him out of it while the K9 officer and the dog stayed back. Then the officer let go of the dog and while all of the other officers were still pulling on the bad guy the dog went flying through the air and latched on to the bad guy right though all of the other officers, like the handler had a laser aimed at him. I thought for sure he was going to bite someone by mistake.....nope! How does the dog know?

Just wondering, NYH1.

streck
01-13-14, 07:27
Training....

C-grunt
01-13-14, 08:29
They tell us not to run after the suspects when the dog is there as it might attack you.

It's not uncommon for the dog to bite a cop.

Mauser KAR98K
01-13-14, 09:51
Answer: The bad guy, who knows they are a bad guy, who is running from the Pol-Ice.

Caduceus
01-13-14, 10:08
What I gleaned from watching COPS is that it's usually the bad-$$ that's shrieking like a little girl not to release the dog.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-13-14, 15:31
Wasn't there a story about complaints about 'racist' police dogs?

WickedWillis
01-13-14, 15:47

I was just thinking about that, I remember seeing that somewhere.

NYH1
01-13-14, 21:28
Thanks guys. . . . .'racist' police dogs :dance3:.

NYH1

TMS951
01-14-14, 14:24
My mom said she had a racist dog when she was in her early twenties. Turned out the black kids in the neighborhood threw rocks at it when she let it out....

Edit to add: racist police dog http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/racist-la-police-dogs-only-bite-latinos-and-africanamericans-8874913.html

austinN4
01-14-14, 17:25
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/racist-la-police-dogs-only-bite-latinos-and-africanamericans-8874913.html
"Meanwhile, police dog bites caused injuries at a much higher rate than alternative deterrents such as batons, tear gas and even guns. “Large swathes of LASD’s jurisdiction, encompassing generally affluent areas with smaller minority populations, had few [canine] deployments or bites,” the Parc report states.

Maybe, just maybe, that is because of who was committing the most crimes?

Moose-Knuckle
01-14-14, 17:28
"Meanwhile, police dog bites caused injuries at a much higher rate than alternative deterrents such as batons, tear gas and even guns. “Large swathes of LASD’s jurisdiction, encompassing generally affluent areas with smaller minority populations, had few [canine] deployments or bites,” the Parc report states.

Nah couldn't be . . . Holder has'nt allowed the FBI to publish their crime demographic stats since he was appointed.

TMS951
01-15-14, 12:27

Play stupid games win stupid prizes. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the populations of those affluent communities were not doing the stupid shit that gets a Police K9 unleashed on you, like say running from the police....

rljatl
01-15-14, 14:51
Dogs are much smarter than most people realize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOhxa69d90Q

VooDoo6Actual
01-15-14, 16:38
The K9 handler will signal & / or they sense / smell fear / adrenaline / sweat gland release / pheromones. Some disagree & say they sense body language. Depending on dogs situational awareness potential, I think both. One of my labs is amazing w/ his snifer the other one while a good hunter, is just not the same drive in that regard. I've seen Malinois' / Shepard's that are amazingly intuitively predatory in that regard to agitation / aggression.

SteyrAUG
01-15-14, 17:17
Sometimes they don't.

When I used to live in "fun central" I've seen a police K9 grab the wrong person. Of course they probably do it with less frequency than LEOs. I watched cops grab the wrong guy pretty regularly.

austinN4
01-15-14, 17:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOhxa69d90Q
That is one smart pup! And it even used a tool to accomplish its goal.

Caduceus
01-15-14, 18:44

Isn't that kind of the point? Bites are a hell of a lot easier to treat than gunshot wounds, and a lot more deterrent potential too.

As for racist dogs ... one year up in Detroit my dog growled at every black kid that came trick or treating. Don't know if it was harder to see them (sun had set) and they surprised her, or what. We moved to VA, and she was great with all the neighborhood kids (probably about 60/40 black and non-black). Who knows what her problem was that day.

rljatl
01-15-14, 19:27
That is one smart pup! And it even used a tool to accomplish its goal.

What really surprised me, besides moving the chair in the first place, was that the dog moved the chair close to the counter, looked to see how close it was, and then moved it closer after he realized that it wasn't close enough! Amazing.

Dave_M
01-16-14, 00:48
Isn't that kind of the point? Bites are a hell of a lot easier to treat than gunshot wounds, and a lot more deterrent potential too.

As for racist dogs ... one year up in Detroit my dog growled at every black kid that came trick or treating. Don't know if it was harder to see them (sun had set) and they surprised her, or what. We moved to VA, and she was great with all the neighborhood kids (probably about 60/40 black and non-black). Who knows what her problem was that day.

From what I understand, dogs don't see contrast as well as people. Ergo, darker faces = harder to read facial expressions. In some dogs, this lack of ability to read faces leads them to be more aggressive.

Texas42
01-16-14, 03:58

I've seen open fractures from a dog bite. . . . . required I&D in the OR and severad days of IV antibiotics.

Dog's mouths are almost as dirty as people's mouths.

J-Dub
01-16-14, 07:38
Sometimes they don't.

When I used to live in "fun central" I've seen a police K9 grab the wrong person. Of course they probably do it with less frequency than LEOs. I watched cops grab the wrong guy pretty regularly.

Interesting attempt to pull the thread off target.

Here's how I approach the actual subject of the thread. When the K9 is on the ground, the K9 handler is in charge...what he/she says goes. If the dog is tracking, you stay behind the handler. If the dog is searching a house, you stay behind the handler. If the dog has someone down and is on a bite, you wait until you get the go ahead to get in there and go hands on. I don't want to get chomped. I've seen the crazy look in those dogs eye's when its game time lol.

austinN4
01-16-14, 07:51
I've seen the crazy look in those dogs eye's when its game time lol.
They just be have'in fun!

Spiffums
01-16-14, 19:17

Brian on Family Guy's Grandfather was a police dog in Birmingham.

mike240
01-16-14, 19:36
The K9 handler will signal & / or they sense / smell fear / adrenaline / sweat gland release / pheromones. Some disagree & say they sense body language. Depending on dogs situational awareness potential, I think both. One of my labs is amazing w/ his snifer the other one while a good hunter, is just not the same drive in that regard. I've seen Malinois' / Shepard's that are amazingly intuitively predatory in that regard to agitation / aggression.

Fear scent is a reality that you can feel on the end of the lead. The dog does his job in training even though the decoys are usually not afraid of the dogs and don't cast this scent. But the behavior and intensity of the dog is different in the real world. My first dog would run through and around pursuing cops to get the suspect. Some dogs do not. We train it with muzzled dogs.

I am on my second Mal. The only cop my dogs have bitten is me!

SteyrAUG
01-16-14, 23:03
Interesting attempt to pull the thread off target.

Hardly. It was an answer to the question based upon personal experience. I have seen first hand a police dog released to chase somebody end up grabbing the wrong guy. And when you let a police dog go in a 7-11 parking lot full of crack dealers, it's kind of hard for any bystanders to "stay behind the dog handler."

RWH24
01-16-14, 23:28
Years ago the local PD K9's must have been idiots and color blind. They would tear into a blue butt in a hurry, not carrying if it was denim or polyester even with the smell of PIG!
We would be down rolling around in the attempt to subdue and one particular handler would release his dog. You always hoped you were on the bottom of the pile and your jewels were protected.:fie:
That handler was stripped of his dog and later moved on to other non LEO work.

mike240
01-17-14, 18:47
In polyester piles you grab the dog by the collar and place him on the bite. Fights usually end at that point. Unfortunately poor handlers are usually the result of very poor training programs.