PDA

View Full Version : Cheek riser height for Vepr12

LHS
01-15-14, 00:21
Hey all,

I'm looking into replacing the fixed stock on my Vepr12 with a Bonesteel buffer tube folder, and adding on a spare MOE stock I had laying around. I'd like to make use of the optic rail on the gun, but I learned already that the stock needs a riser, and switching to an AR-style stock will probably exacerbate that. Does anyone run such a setup, and if so, what height riser do you use? I was thinking the 1/2" one would probably work, but I'd rather know before I plunk down the coin.

Thanks!

Aries144
01-15-14, 16:26
ghjkl

LHS
01-15-14, 16:31
Aimpoint Micro in the factory low mount. I tried it with the factory fixed stock, and it definitely needed a riser. I had zero cheek weld using the optic. I suppose a comparison of the relative heights of the factory stock and the Bonesteel tube w/ MOE stock would give me what I need to know.

Aries144
01-17-14, 02:32
ghjkl

LHS
01-17-14, 10:27
Interesting. I'm guessing the Aimpoint Micro didn't cowitness then?

Correct. Even with the lowest factory mount, the dust cover rail on the VEPR doesn't allow for cowitness. But you know, given the aimpoint's durability/reliability, and the fact that it's a shotgun, I can live with that. I wouldn't do so on a rifle.

fhk96
01-17-14, 12:55
Hey all,

I'm looking into replacing the fixed stock on my Vepr12 with a Bonesteel buffer tube folder, and adding on a spare MOE stock I had laying around. I'd like to make use of the optic rail on the gun, but I learned already that the stock needs a riser, and switching to an AR-style stock will probably exacerbate that. Does anyone run such a setup, and if so, what height riser do you use? I was thinking the 1/2" one would probably work, but I'd rather know before I plunk down the coin.

Thanks!

I suggest taking a look at Rifle Dynamic's AR stock adapter. It positions the tube in-line with the barrel and is very well made.

I don't use a riser with my CTR and height is perfect with an RMR (low pic' mount). Also, if you aren't aware, keep the optic mounted behind the ejection port or you will occasionally have hulls being hung up there.

LHS
01-17-14, 15:31
I suggest taking a look at Rifle Dynamic's AR stock adapter. It positions the tube in-line with the barrel and is very well made.

I don't use a riser with my CTR and height is perfect with an RMR (low pic' mount). Also, if you aren't aware, keep the optic mounted behind the ejection port or you will occasionally have hulls being hung up there.

I thought about using the RD mount, but it's not a folder, and they don't appear to make a VEPR-compatible version. And you are correct, I discovered the issue with having to mount the optic well the the rear to avoid interfering with ejection.

fhk96
01-17-14, 17:17
Yes the RD mounts to my Vepr 12 just fine. (AKM type trunnion version). I will post a pic in a day or so.

LHS
01-17-14, 17:28
Yes the RD mounts to my Vepr 12 just fine. (AKM type trunnion version). I will post a pic in a day or so.

Interesting. My Vepr12 has an RPK rear trunion, and I had to file the hell out of a KVAR US-made polymer AK stock to get it in there.

fhk96
01-17-14, 17:39
Yes, you are correct it has the 1.5mm rpk trunnion. However, the RD mount only interfaces directly with the mount of the trunnion and not the receiver. It has proven to be a worth while upgrade (perfect when running with a PC).

fhk96
01-19-14, 17:51

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/K96/4sale/v12_00_zps58447334.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/K96/media/4sale/v12_00_zps58447334.jpg.html)

LHS
01-19-14, 21:56
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/K96/4sale/v12_00_zps58447334.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/K96/media/4sale/v12_00_zps58447334.jpg.html)

Cool, thanks. If nothing else, I think it illustrates just how much I'll need to elevate the stock on a Bonesteel mount to see the optic. I'm thinking a .5" will work just fine.

I don't know why I'm fixated on having a side-folder, but I am. I guess I just want to piss off Feinswein or something. And eventually, I do want to SBS this thing.