PDA

View Full Version : Serbu SU-15 Upper

scooter22
01-15-14, 18:57
The Serbu SU-15 upper receiver looks quite interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuUGtxf3C_k

(Hope posting the link is OK)

thei3ug
01-15-14, 19:17
Standard barrel, standard bolt. That's a plus.

JoshNC
01-15-14, 20:07
Looks great. I will own one if Mark gets these to run on auto.

ag08
01-15-14, 21:18
Does Serbu make good stuff? All I'm familiar with is their super short shotgun AOW.

Does gas length look like standard carbine length on a 10.5"? Wonder if the 16" version would have mid length gas and a longer hand guard.

Also, did anyone else notice that the gas block appears to be clamped on. Curious if that could lead to reliability issues.

Anyway, I'm sure all the kinks will be worked out if they ever are able to get it running and release it. Would be nice to be able to drop on an already registered SBR. Definitely looks good for those of us with various imagined issues with standard AR uppers and want to play around with a piston gun but don't want to drop the cash on a SCAR.

jandbj
01-16-14, 07:39
Looks a lot like the LMT CQB method of barrrel attachment in the vid. So long as it runs well, I'll at least get one for an SBR or pistol with side folding SB15. :dirol:

doodi1
01-16-14, 09:56
So what's the operating system? DI, Piston (Long or short), other other? I cannot see what this does that the FAXON ARAK uppers don't, + the ARAK uppers have easy quick change barrels (albeit proprietary ones)?

It looks neat and the price is very good. I guess variety is good for the marketplace.

JoshNC
01-16-14, 10:31
So what's the operating system? DI, Piston (Long or short), other other? I cannot see what this does that the FAXON ARAK uppers don't, + the ARAK uppers have easy quick change barrels (albeit proprietary ones)?

It looks neat and the prices is very good. I guess variety is good for the marketplace.

The ARAK upper suffers from a very high sight over bore axis and reports I've read re: function seem like it may have some teething issues with the firing pin retaining mechanism. I like it conceptually, but it seems to need some refining.

The SU15 at the very least has a lower profile top rail.

I am very curious to see the internals on the SU15.

Fox33
01-16-14, 10:32
looks very reminiscent of the SCAR upper and from what I can tell the mechanical operation as well. I wonder if it will lead to the same complaints about the charging handle

VIP3R 237
01-16-14, 11:14
Im interested, I think it could be a great design. I like the placement of the charging handle and the ability to swap sides, but i worry about ejection for lefties as i can not see a brass deflector.

justin_247
01-16-14, 12:13
The ARAK upper suffers from a very high sight over bore axis and reports I've read re: function seem like it may have some teething issues with the firing pin retaining mechanism. I like it conceptually, but it seems to need some refining.

Not only that, the ARAK is a tank. I think it's an extremely well-designed platform, but they need to cut the weight down.

I'm very curious about the SU15.

crazymoose
01-16-14, 19:27

It looks neat and the price is very good. I guess variety is good for the marketplace.

Looks a whole lot like the ARAK. My money says the BCG/piston setup is similar.

doodi1
01-17-14, 13:19

Not only that, the ARAK is a tank. I think it's an extremely well-designed platform, but they need to cut the weight down.

I'm very curious about the SU15.

Still prefer the the Faxon ARAK over the Serbu.

sinlessorrow
01-02-15, 20:01
If anyone is still wondering the Serbu is a true direct impingement. I'm not talking AR-15 DI, I'm talking Mas-49 DI.

JoshNC
01-02-15, 20:54
If anyone is still wondering the Serbu is a true direct impingement. I'm not talking AR-15 DI, I'm talking Mas-49 DI.

Interesting. Where did you hear this?

sinlessorrow
01-02-15, 20:59
Interesting. Where did you hear this?

Their facebook page.

Standard AR bolt, cam pin, barrel and barrel extension, but needs a unique gas block. Also said the op rod and carrier are a 2 piece assembly.

You can see the carrier here. The gas cup thingy is just before the hole for the charging handle and works identical to a true DI system. Shot gas tube meets up with the carrier(they call it an op rod) and pushes against it just like the Mas-49 cup thing.
https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/1909145_10151804731641116_1360437759_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

sinlessorrow
01-02-15, 21:06
Oh and they are citing a $800 price. Now if that is for the upper alone, or a complete rifle I do not know.

July Johnson
01-03-15, 23:31
might have to get me one of these just to play around with

sinlessorrow
01-03-15, 23:34
Sent them a message and they are expecting the price for the upper alone to be within $700-$800. Pretty decent price for an upper, so probably $1,200-$1,300 for a complete rifle.

I am interested to see a modern true DI weapon.

July Johnson
01-04-15, 02:03
anybody know who makes the barrel and if its chrome lined?

ag08
01-26-15, 21:10
I'd like to bring this back to the top and ask if anyone knows what kind of quality Serbu puts out.

I have a go-to AR but have a real hate relationship with mag changes and malfunction drills since I'm a lefty. I tried several ways to run these based on instructor suggestions but I always naturally gravitate back to releasing the bolt with the charging handle. Sure I could install any number of fancy bolt releases but I prefer to keep a firearm mostly stock to minimize issues if I have to pick up a bone stock gun.

I'm saving my pennies for a Scar 16 but this upper caught my interest again after last year's debut. Does Serbu offer top notch quality or will this be a hobby grade gun? Details are scarce other than this is a true DI gun, uses a 7075 extrusion, and you can use standard AR bolts and barrels. That last part means you can improve the gun in some fashion at least if the factory bolt or barrel specs are sub par.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2015 SHOT Video of SU15
https://youtube.com/watch?v=iB1iyvGvc-Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooter22
01-26-15, 21:21
I'd pick up one. Although, I wish the hand guard was longer.

ag08
01-27-15, 09:59
I'd pick up one. Although, I wish the hand guard was longer.

The 16" barrel looks to maybe have a midlength handguard and the SBR a carbine length. Defiantly could use more rail space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BSmith
02-17-15, 18:49
Anyone get in on his pre-order? I did. :D

motoduck
02-18-15, 08:10
I jumped on the preorder as well. Wanted to pull the trigger last year after the shot show now very excited to see this go into production.

renov8
04-17-15, 09:46
We did an additional Group buy on the Su-15 upper, per Mark's permission on another forum. We had a great response to the buy and are now waiting for delivery. The upper comes with two different length receivers. Most in our GB went for the longer receiver due to longer rails and hand guards. A few went with the shorter version strictly for a pistol/sbr build.....

Many on here have asked if Serbu makes a good product....personally, I feel they make exceptionally good products. Considering Mark is a mechanical engineer.......and he builds what he designs.........he puts a tremendous amount of thought into the final makeup of whatever he designs. Shoot his BFG-50A and you will be an instant believer in him and his products......

Unfortunately, we can't run a group buy on this forum, so anything we offer will have to be via word-of-mouth.....

eternal24k
06-26-17, 10:14
Any word on these? I really want the 9" 300blk, but thinking I need to start looking for something else

renov8
06-26-17, 12:37
Any word on these? I really want the 9" 300blk, but thinking I need to start looking for something else

Unfortunately, nothing has materialized from this buy or the one Serbu did prior to ours. Many of those who did submit a deposit have asked for a refund and received them. The delay in executing this GB and the lack of updates was just too much for most of those who were in our buy. Can't say I don't blame them. Serbu makes great products, but the rest is not so great. The SU-15 was the only aspect of our buy which did not come to fruition. The rest was completed and with complete satisfaction from those who participated.

SteyrAUG
06-26-17, 20:49
We did an additional Group buy on the Su-15 upper, per Mark's permission on another forum. We had a great response to the buy and are now waiting for delivery. The upper comes with two different length receivers. Most in our GB went for the longer receiver due to longer rails and hand guards. A few went with the shorter version strictly for a pistol/sbr build.....

Many on here have asked if Serbu makes a good product....personally, I feel they make exceptionally good products. Considering Mark is a mechanical engineer.......and he builds what he designs.........he puts a tremendous amount of thought into the final makeup of whatever he designs. Shoot his BFG-50A and you will be an instant believer in him and his products......

Unfortunately, we can't run a group buy on this forum, so anything we offer will have to be via word-of-mouth.....

I worked with Mark years ago, did a couple group buys. Not only does he make quality firearms, he's a great guy to work with. We got a lot of BFG-50s behind the iron curtain before CA passed their 50 ban.

renov8
06-26-17, 23:20
I worked with Mark years ago, did a couple group buys. Not only does he make quality firearms, he's a great guy to work with. We got a lot of BFG-50s behind the iron curtain before CA passed their 50 ban.

I have no problem with Serbu and the products they manufacture...I have a couple of his BFG-50A's. I am amazed at how well he designs his wares and woyuld be even more impressed if he could grow his business in a manner which would retain the quality but also allow for growth. I guess his son is helping out with the logistics of running the business and keeping customer service complaints to a minimum. Overall I have had a great experience with Mark. I just wish the SU-15 didn't become such a dog. I wanted a few of the units myself, but was unsure if they would ever see the light of day...and that was well over a year ago.

I wish Mark the best of luck and if the opportunity presented itself again to do a group buy, I would consider it.

Appreciate the feedback...thanks.

SteyrAUG
06-27-17, 00:35
I have no problem with Serbu and the products they manufacture...I have a couple of his BFG-50A's. I am amazed at how well he designs his wares and woyuld be even more impressed if he could grow his business in a manner which would retain the quality but also allow for growth. I guess his son is helping out with the logistics of running the business and keeping customer service complaints to a minimum. Overall I have had a great experience with Mark. I just wish the SU-15 didn't become such a dog. I wanted a few of the units myself, but was unsure if they would ever see the light of day...and that was well over a year ago.

I wish Mark the best of luck and if the opportunity presented itself again to do a group buy, I would consider it.

Appreciate the feedback...thanks.

Honestly, I have zero experience with the SU-15 and just noticed how old this thread actually is. It's a shame these never got to market or whatever the problem was.