PDA

View Full Version : Scope Mesh

Doc. Holiday
01-15-14, 20:52
A buddy of mine and I were talking about some war movies and some of the accessories that can be found on various rifles. He mentioned the "mesh cloth" that the sniper on Act of Valor put on his scope and suppressor. I tried to do a search but didn't come up with that kind of material. I told him you can buy the Honeycomb scope lids if he was interested in covering up his scope, but I told him I didn't find the name of the material or where he could find it. I've been thinking about it now for a few days and I'm stumped.

Any of you guys know if that mesh material has a special name? Didn't know where else to put this question up, but I figured some guys in the precision world would know off the top of their heads.

mark5pt56
01-16-14, 07:30
Go pick up a decoy bag for cheap and you have enough to play with. Even works great for a pattern if painting the rifle. If this is your thing whether it's a necessity or just to do it, use your imagination. The mesh is commonly used by numerous manufactures of field gear that requires it's features Such as drainage or a liner for air flow, weight savings, etc. Also utilized is shock cord for various applications. One idea for you is if you want a scope cover for use on various similar sized optics is cut mesh to fit, run shock cord along the opening, either sew closed, knot or use a push button retainer commonly used on jackets, etc. And you can take it off at will to move onto another optic, etc. For lack of a better example, think of a shower cap or rain cover for a pack.
If you simply want to lessen the black hole effect of the objective, take a small piece of pantyhose and slide the scope cover over it or use some duct tape.

I'm sure there's other choices, again a decoy bag will be cheaper.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/mesh.html

Doc. Holiday
01-16-14, 09:17
I told him about the pantyhose idea. Thanks for the ideas. So I take it the mesh has no special name, but mesh? haha

mark5pt56
01-16-14, 09:53
I told him about the pantyhose idea. Thanks for the ideas. So I take it the mesh has no special name, but mesh? haha

Tactical Mesh? :dirol:

Doc. Holiday
01-16-14, 10:05
OF COURSE! Tactical mesh..... I knew it had to be close to that.... :sarcastic:

sammage
01-16-14, 10:09
Tactical Mesh? :dirol:

New and improved Tactical Mesh™, with more of the mesh you love...accept no substitutes.

JustG45
01-16-14, 15:11
I think burlap is the word you are looking for. I've seen some at walmart that one and only time I was there.

VIP3R 237
01-16-14, 15:13
Cheese cloth works well. You can dye or spray it to alter the color.

Scimitar2
01-16-14, 20:33
I do not have any experience with it, but something like this maybe?

http://shop.mcreesprecision.net/McRees-Precision-RG-Rifle-Ghillie-RG.htm

Doc. Holiday
01-17-14, 09:05
Yea that's what he was looking at. I think Mark hit the nail on the head with just using a decoy mesh bag. Can't beat that for $10-$15 and you get all the mesh you could ever need.

STAMarine
01-17-14, 18:57
We used a spray painted laundry bag. Just cut a piece off and attach it with a rubber band or boot band.