PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a decent OTF knife for me?

GLP Standard
01-16-14, 16:06
I really wanted the Benchmade Infidel despite it's somewhat mixed reviews, but I can't justify spending $400+ on a knife. That's just ridiculous to me. Can anyone recommend a mid grade to low-upper grade OTF auto knife for me? Perhaps something on par with Benchmade, but maybe a little less well known (or something that doesn't mark the price up 40% just because of the name)?

I will also consider a nice Benchmade auto (or a high end auto other than Benchmade) that opens via the side. Has to have the lock be integrated in the button that deploys it. No liner lock crap (not sure if they make an auto liner lock knife, but I don't want it if they do).

Budget is $100-$200, but Id like to stay closer to $100, and Id really prefer an OTF knife.

EDIT: I was considering the two in the links below, but know nothing about them. Im wary of the more expensive one, because Id hate to spend $150 on an OTF knife and find out it's garbage when I could've spent the money on a nice Benchmade auto folder, and the cheaper one because well, it's cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Nemesis-Front-Knife-Black/dp/B00GJUO786/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1389910026&sr=8-14&keywords=otf+knife

http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-Generation-Assisted-Stainless-Partially/dp/B007HA72PC/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389910121&sr=8-1&keywords=otf+knife

yellow50
01-16-14, 16:18
Have you checked out Microtech? Still a bit pricey but I heard good things about them.

Kain
01-16-14, 16:24
Have you thought about the used market? Might be able to find an Infidel for sub $300. Nice knives, but I still think that a standard folder has more utility. But then again it all depends on the person.

As to Microtech, I own an older one and they do make a pretty damn nice knife.

filthy phil
01-16-14, 17:02
$42 @ blade play
http://i.imgur.com/oqT2sa8.jpg

Trajan
01-16-14, 20:11
Microtech is pretty much the only name in OTF knives. If you look around you can find a UTX-70 for under $200.

That being said, OTF knives are just novelties. You will spend more simply due to the engineering.

I see you also mentioned an auto folder (tells me you just want it for the cool factor). Why specifically do you want an auto? As someone who has an auto in his pocket right now, I can tell you that it doesn't really matter. Just spend the money on a nice manual folder. Axis manuals are as fast as an auto, and you can close them one handed too.

Auto knives are like F/A weapons. People that don't have them or haven't used them think that they're cool. Those that have don't see the big deal.

Kenneth
01-16-14, 20:13
I agree microtech is the way to go for an OTF but I would rather get an axis benchmade.

GLP Standard
01-16-14, 21:08
Microtech is pretty much the only name in OTF knives. If you look around you can find a UTX-70 for under $200.

That being said, OTF knives are just novelties. You will spend more simply due to the engineering.

I see you also mentioned an auto folder (tells me you just want it for the cool factor). Why specifically do you want an auto? As someone who has an auto in his pocket right now, I can tell you that it doesn't really matter. Just spend the money on a nice manual folder. Axis manuals are as fast as an auto, and you can close them one handed too.

Auto knives are like F/A weapons. People that don't have them or haven't used them think that they're cool. Those that have don't see the big deal.

Id say you are correct. Ill admit it. 75% of the reason I want an auto knife is for the coolness factor. 100% of the reason I want an OTF knife is the coolness factor. 25% of the reason I want an auto knife is it really does make opening (and closing in the case of an OTF knife) much easier. I work in a medical warehouse where opening boxes and packages is a high probability (among other uses) in the day to day activities of my job. This is where pulling out and deploying the blade one handed might come in handy, hence the auto function being a nice feature to have. If I settled on a non-auto knife, I would want it to be opening assisted at the very least.

Bottom line is, Ive been carrying the same $25 Kershaw since 2004. I want a nice knife to carry at work, and I thought something "tacticool" would be neat to have, and figured if Im going to spend the money on a new knife which I would potentially carry for 10+ years I would buy something decent. Do I need an OTF knife? Of course not, but I've always thought they were cool and would love to have one. Do I even need an auto knife? No, but again, I thought they were cool, and I think it could be beneficial in my job.

Does anyone have any input on the OTF I posted in my first post (the more expensive one)?

I will check out Microtech too, but I know they are extremely pricey so it's just a matter of finding a used one.

Kain
01-17-14, 00:08

Slightly off topic, but I would make the argument that depending on the knife a manual model could be faster than an auto. At least in the case of my Emersons i can deploy them a hell of a lot faster than either of my friends who ran Benchmade autos for a while including on who had an Infidel. Again, slightly off topic, but I am just basically wanting to point out that opposed to some other there who think that auto knives are the fastest thing since a bullet that it is not always true.

Back on topic.

for OTF knives, I would also like to point out that their blades, at least in the ones I have handled, are not always the thickest. Not sure how one would hold up under hard use compared to a folder with a beefier blade. Just a thought.

Trajan
01-17-14, 07:51
Id say you are correct. Ill admit it. 75% of the reason I want an auto knife is for the coolness factor. 100% of the reason I want an OTF knife is the coolness factor. 25% of the reason I want an auto knife is it really does make opening (and closing in the case of an OTF knife) much easier. I work in a medical warehouse where opening boxes and packages is a high probability (among other uses) in the day to day activities of my job. This is where pulling out and deploying the blade one handed might come in handy, hence the auto function being a nice feature to have. If I settled on a non-auto knife, I would want it to be opening assisted at the very least.

Bottom line is, Ive been carrying the same $25 Kershaw since 2004. I want a nice knife to carry at work, and I thought something "tacticool" would be neat to have, and figured if Im going to spend the money on a new knife which I would potentially carry for 10+ years I would buy something decent. Do I need an OTF knife? Of course not, but I've always thought they were cool and would love to have one. Do I even need an auto knife? No, but again, I thought they were cool, and I think it could be beneficial in my job.

Does anyone have any input on the OTF I posted in my first post (the more expensive one)?

I will check out Microtech too, but I know they are extremely pricey so it's just a matter of finding a used one.

Another thing you have to keep in mind is spring durability. Eventually that spring will break. Will the knife still function without it? On a D/A OTF, no as it uses counter-balanced springs to operate. On an S/A OTF (like a HALO) it could, but I've never seen one with a broken spring (most owners/users don't really use them). If you get a regular push button auto, like a Benchmade AFO, Protech, or Microtech LUDT, when the spring breaks, you can still push the button and flick it open, just like you open a manual Axis. No experience with auto-Axis knives.

My personal experience with one assisted knife is not positive. When that spring broke (twice) the entire knife locked up. Couldn't open or close the blade, it was stuck halfway open. That was an assisted axis, so I'm not sure if that was a problem with that particular design or assisted knives in general. Even when it is working, I just don't see why I would take it over a plain old griptilian.

From a tool perspective, if you're going to be opening and closing it quite often, I would just get a manual axis knife. You can close that too with just one hand.

Kain is correct on the wave feature. Once you get the technique down, it (Emerson wave feature) really is the fastest method of deployment from the pocket of a folder.

If you must, buy a cheap OTF knife to get the bug out of your system. The auto opening and closing will get out of your system rather quickly. I'd spend the rest of the money on a decent BM Axis knife for work. Griptilians are great general use knives. 940 Osbornes are great if you want something fancier.

skatz11
01-17-14, 08:14
If toy really want an OTF auto, Microtech is the way to go. Their Ultratech model is what I decided to go with. It's way cool for sure, and scary sharp out of the box. However I rarely carry it. My Spyderco PM2 always seems to find its way into my pocket.

I suggest you go with a high quality mid to high end production folder. Benchmade, Spyderco, or ZT. You will appreciate a quality blade, and eventually end up getting an OTF for fun!

bulbvivid
01-17-14, 09:00
Not auto or OTF, but given the advice to trend away from those, you might want to look at the ZT 0566 (http://www.amazon.com/3-25-Inch-Folder-Handle-Stainless-Washed/dp/B00CJJ9B6Y). Like you, I carried inexpensive Kershaws for a long time and then decided I wanted something better. The 0566 has been my favorite so far. It deploys quickly with the flipper, is easily closed one handed, and the assisted opening can be removed if you desire. The Hinderer design is fantastic for EDC, and it fits easily in your budget.

I also have a CR Umnumzaan, but I'd rather carry the 0566.

Sorry to drift from your original question, just thought I'd throw that one out there for your consideration.

luvmy40
01-17-14, 10:21
If you just have to have an OTF for the cool factor and don't care if it is a durable tool then buy a cheap chicom knock off.

If you want a usable, durable tool that happens to be OTF then look at the Piranha Excalibur (http://www.bladeops.com/Piranha-Excalibur-Double-Action-OTF-Knife-Mirror-p/pir8blk.htm). It's way out of your preferred price range but then so are Microtech and Benchmade's OTFs and the Piranhas are much beefier and durable.

okie john
01-17-14, 12:49

This may be the most honest "why I want it" statement that I've ever read.

Okie John

harm
01-17-14, 13:17
This may be the most honest "why I want it" statement that I've ever read.

Okie John

Agreed. Its OK to get something just because its cool. Let's not kid ourselves.

FWIW a good assisted opener will do just as well long term as an Auto Knife w likely more durability. I love my ZT 0300. Its my edc.

ZT makes great knives. But if you open up the search from auto to assisted open you'll find a lot more option w different prices for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

GLP Standard
01-17-14, 14:21
Agreed. Its OK to get something just because its cool. Let's not kid ourselves.

FWIW a good assisted opener will do just as well long term as an Auto Knife w likely more durability. I love my ZT 0300. Its my edc.

ZT makes great knives. But if you open up the search from auto to assisted open you'll find a lot more option w different prices for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice. Don't think Im completely disregarding all the advice you guys are giving. Im taking into consideration the benefits of a good old fashioned manual side opening knife. I still think I want an OTF knife though, and if I'm really that unhappy with it and find I need something more durable, it's no big deal to pick up a manual Benchmade for my EDC knife.

Honestly, the most I will ever be doing with this knife is opening boxes and possibly using it in self defense one day when the SHTF and I just happen to have it in my pocket. Im not going camping with it, I dont believe in the zombie apocalypse, and I don't plan on building a house with it when I get stranded on the "Lost" island. As long as it can handle light-somewhat moderate every day use (and the blade feels solid when deployed) and it doesn't break on me just deploying it a few thousand times, Im happy with it.

That said, I'm considering pulling the trigger on a RavenCrest Tactical, more than likely the Black Widow model:

http://www.ravencresttactical.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=24&cat=Black+Widow+OTF+Models

Does anyone know anything about them? They supposedly have a lifetime no questions asked warranty, and are MIA out of Gilbert, AZ. It's a new company (started in 2012) so theres very little about them on the net as far as reviews, but what little Ive read gives them high praises. They could go two ways:

1. New company making high quality knives selling them at a low price:quality ratio trying to get their name out there or;

2. Total overpriced garbage that no one has bought yet hence no reviews to date

Shao
01-17-14, 14:42
Dude, I don't care what anyone says - I used to sell knives for a living and Microtechs are overpriced PIECES OF JUNK. I had so many customer issues and getting them to return a knife that had been sent in for warranty work was like twisting someone's arm. I would get so frustrated dealing with their CS. They are an unreal company. I lost two $400+ knives to them and they never answered their e-mails. I've dealt with every major brand's CS and theirs is by far the worse. Save your money and buy a Taiwanese clone. On a whim I bought a $34 Scarab clone and not only does it hit harder than the real thing, but there's less blade play. They look identical. Sorry Microtech guys - you payed too much for your knife. I took a few of these apart - there's a reason why you need special tools to disassemble them - because they don't want you looking inside to see how frail of a "tool" it really is. I would skip D/A and get a strong S/A OTF like a Dalton, Protech, etc... Double actions are fun and I support American business, but I don't support gouging - just buy a clone - I've opened and closed mine at least 1000 times and it still functions as new. It's sharp. It's less than $40. It may be counterfeit..yadda...yadda.. morals... but I'm not giving Marfione another red cent of my money!!!

texasgunhand
01-17-14, 17:33
Check out blade ops.com,free shipping and low prices,they have nice autos and otf knives just be carefull, most double edge knives are against the law, here in TX they made switchblades legal but not double edge..I have ordered alot from blade ops and have been happy with every order..

Just got in an esse 4 ,,what a bad ass fixed blade knife for 100 bucks!

They have a bunch of the otf knives there.For the cheaper end,, for cool only factor,, they sell a nice cheap otf that people seem to rave about.Just do a little research on there otf under 25 bucks section..and the shippings always free..

SilverBullet432
04-16-18, 22:09
Going to resurrect this one. After searching around for awhile; I found CobraTec. They are just an importer but are based here in Texas. I picked up a black with tanto blade model. It seems well made for being Chinese. There is little play in the blade and the mechanism is very smooth. I will put it through some use and will report back with findings.

https://www.cobratecknives.com

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-15-20, 08:04
Going to resurrect this one. After searching around for awhile; I found CobraTec. They are just an importer but are based here in Texas. I picked up a black with tanto blade model. It seems well made for being Chinese. There is little play in the blade and the mechanism is very smooth. I will put it through some use and will report back with findings.

https://www.cobratecknives.com

And back from the dead. How did the cobratech knife work out in the long run?

Those Microtech's look nice.

Any other new entrants into the OTF knives in the past 2 years?

Adrenaline_6
01-15-20, 11:55
Really, if you need a good, but respectable auto, without Microtech pricing, why OTF? The Kershaw Launch series are Auto's, so one handed operation is still there, but without the complexities of an OTF. They use CPM-154 for the steel also.

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives?search=launch

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-15-20, 14:38
I've got plenty of Axis Benchmades that open pretty easily. Was looking for something a little different

chef8489
01-15-20, 16:22
Dude, I don't care what anyone says - I used to sell knives for a living and Microtechs are overpriced PIECES OF JUNK. I had so many customer issues and getting them to return a knife that had been sent in for warranty work was like twisting someone's arm. I would get so frustrated dealing with their CS. They are an unreal company. I lost two $400+ knives to them and they never answered their e-mails. I've dealt with every major brand's CS and theirs is by far the worse. Save your money and buy a Taiwanese clone. On a whim I bought a $34 Scarab clone and not only does it hit harder than the real thing, but there's less blade play. They look identical. Sorry Microtech guys - you payed too much for your knife. I took a few of these apart - there's a reason why you need special tools to disassemble them - because they don't want you looking inside to see how frail of a "tool" it really is. I would skip D/A and get a strong S/A OTF like a Dalton, Protech, etc... Double actions are fun and I support American business, but I don't support gouging - just buy a clone - I've opened and closed mine at least 1000 times and it still functions as new. It's sharp. It's less than $40. It may be counterfeit..yadda...yadda.. morals... but I'm not giving Marfione another red cent of my money!!!

I am going to call bs on this. I have been carrying microtech since the mid 90s. I have never had issues with customer service note has anyone that has been sent to them. Only time I know of is when people send them fake knives they thought were real and microtech destroyed the knives. There was a time when they moved from Florida that things were a bit slow, but now they are in Nc and not heard of any issues. They have lifetime warranties and lifetime free sharpening. They also give mil and leo discounts. And you calling them frail is complete bs. We use and abuse the crap out of these knives. Hell you can look up torture tests and see what all microtechs can put up with. They use special tools because they dont want people that have no idea what they are doing to loose parts or reassemble them incorrectly. Hell I know people that screwed up reassemble and sent microtech all the parts and was fixed no problem.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-17-20, 10:08
I'm partial to Benchmade's due to a decade with 940s, so I went with a Mini-Infidel to start with. I like the side trigger. If I like the autos I might try a REcon 035, or a Microyech,

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-20-20, 19:50
Got my infidel. It’s pretty sweet. It’s a little more effort than I thought it would take to deploy the blade. My 12-year-old daughter actually doesn’t have the thumb strength to make the mechanism work. For a spear tip I like the wide side mounted actuator. If I got one with a top side one, I think I’ll go with a tanto blade or something.