PDA

View Full Version : New member, Opinions welcome.

kkpudge7
05-15-08, 23:36
Let me first introduce myself as this is my first post. I have been lurking and reading a little, but finally joined.

Anyway, I am going to piece together an M4 here, probably starting to order parts in the next month.

Here is what I have decided on, but please inject opinions, because this is my first AR platform rifle.

LMT lower with SOPMOD stock and two stage trigger

LMT 16 inch upper with stock hand guards for now

BCM F/A BCG

My one question is this, is it worth it to get the SOPMOD and 2 stage? or would it be better for me to go basic? I tend to try and just save from the beginning and get what I want, but are these two things worth the extra 200ish?

Thanks in advance.

Gunfighter.45
05-16-08, 00:03
Let me first introduce myself as this is my first post. I have been lurking and reading a little, but finally joined.

Anyway, I am going to piece together an M4 here, probably starting to order parts in the next month.

Here is what I have decided on, but please inject opinions, because this is my first AR platform rifle.

LMT lower with SOPMOD stock and two stage trigger

LMT 16 inch upper with stock hand guards for now

BCM F/A BCG

My one question is this, is it worth it to get the SOPMOD and 2 stage? or would it be better for me to go basic? I tend to try and just save from the beginning and get what I want, but are these two things worth the extra 200ish?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds GTG...but why not stay with the LMT BCG if going with LMT complete rifle? As far the SOPMOD goes, stay with it you can't go wrong.
Good Luck with your build and Welcome to M4C.

KUmike
05-16-08, 07:29
I would get the SOPMOD but skip the 2-stage trigger. YMMV

kkpudge7
05-16-08, 11:02
Gunfighter.45:

The only reason I was considering the BCM carrier is because people on another forum recommended it. I guess there would be no reason to switch that right.

Another question, I read the "if I were buying a new AR" thread by Rob_s, There are some interesting points on there. I guess my thing would be, would the N4 be worth the extra 200-300 that I would spend on it, because that 200-300 could be put towards mags and ammo if I went LMT.

Just questions from a new comer, sorry I know you guys have heard this a million times probably.

Thanks in advance for any help.

razors
05-16-08, 11:17
I would put the $200-300 toward an optic & BUIS.

johnson601
05-16-08, 11:19
Welcome, you can't go wrong with LMT or Noveske. I like standard triggers but that is just my opinion. Good luck!

Stickman
05-16-08, 11:41
I guess my thing would be, would the N4 be worth the extra 200-300 that I would spend on it, because that 200-300 could be put towards mags and ammo if I went LMT.

If you went with the N4, in either the carbine or midlength, you would be coming out pretty good if you lay out everything you would be getting.

The Noveske carbines come with a Troy BUIS, which is considered one of the better ones available, so that saves you $110-140 that you would need to get for a BUIS (or carry handle). The Troy can be run as a standard iron sight without any problems.

The Noveske carbines come with a Vltor stock, which give storage for batteries, but more important to many is the outstanding cheekweld that it gives. While it might not be the first upgrade you would make, it doesn't change that the N4 series come with a stock which would be a $100 upgrade if purchased by itself.

Perhaps most importantly, the Noveske comes with an highly accurate barrel which will outlast anything else currently on the market. If you subscribe to the idea our gun rights are in jeopardy with the upcoming election, this could be enough to seal the deal itself as we have no way of knowing what the next AWB will look like.

In the end, the choice is yours, and the LMT is still a very good weapon, but its my belief that the Noveske has more going for it.

Below is a review of the Noveske N4, it may be of some help.

Noveske N4 carbine review (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=285#post285)

kkpudge7
05-16-08, 12:27
I'm leaning more and more toward the Noveske. It may take an extra little while to get the cash together, but it may be my only AR, and I may as well make it a good one.

I will continue to browse these forums, and ask questions as they arise, I still have a month or so before the final decision has to be made.

Failure2Stop
05-16-08, 12:30
As rob_s notes in another thread, if I had it all to do over again- I would buy a Noveske.

Veracity
05-16-08, 15:15
FYI, this forum is Mecca for all of the hard core guys...or so it seems to me.

I have learned more here on this forum in a month or so than I did nine months elsewhere.

You have chose wisely, Grasshopper

kkpudge7
05-16-08, 15:56
These forums are either a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it lol...

About a year and a half ago I joined Sig forum.com because I liked the way they felt and wanted to learn about them, what do you know, I wound up with a Sig haha.

Detective_D
05-17-08, 10:05
If you are still wanting the LMT with Sopmod and two stage trigger, Grant has them for $100 off for members of this forum.

You might want to give him a call and see if he has any left...
www.gandrtactical.com

I ordered mine earlier this week with some other goodies from him.

kkpudge7
05-18-08, 21:26
Oh man...That makes the decision that much more difficult.

Is this just a one time offer? or does he have this for whenever the item is in stock?

Detective_D
05-19-08, 08:26
I really dont know all the specifics of it. I believe it is a one time deal though.

Just call him and talk to him about it.

rob_s
05-19-08, 08:34
You can always pair the LMT lower (frankly I'd bag the 2-stage but that's your call) with a Noveske upper and get everything you want.
N4 Light Carbine Basic Upper $895 (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=n4lcbu&cat=48&page=1&search=&since=&status=)
N4 Light Recce Basic 16" Upper $915 (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=un4lrb&cat=48&page=1&search=&since=&status=)

As compared to:
$485 LMT : 16" Upper Receiver Assembly with flash suppressor (http://lewismachine.net/product.php?p=63&cid=6&session=9cf4578f607f3f462155bcbd7f40a8b7)
$130 LMT : 5.56, Standard F/A Bolt Carrier Group (http://lewismachine.net/product.php?p=24&cid=7&session=9cf4578f607f3f462155bcbd7f40a8b7)
$40 LMT : Handguards (http://lewismachine.net/product.php?p=103&cid=12&session=9cf4578f607f3f462155bcbd7f40a8b7)
$20 LMT : Charging Handle Assembly (http://lewismachine.net/product.php?p=77&cid=12&session=9cf4578f607f3f462155bcbd7f40a8b7)
$140 Troy : Rear Folding Battle Sight (http://store.troyind.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=24)
$815 TOTAL

Now it's only $100 difference, and if they $100 savings from Grant is true, you're right back to a net zero difference.

JimmyB62
05-19-08, 09:07
I've got the exact setup you described above. I like the SOPMOD stock quite a bit. I got the two stage trigger to see what LMT's set up was like. I've since put standard parts in. The two stage wasn't much different than a standard, other than the take up. I thought it might be a little crisper and lighter but it was about the same as a well broken in standard trigger. I would go so far to say it was even a little spongy. I'd press and the trigger would continue to move and then while still moving, at some point it would break. It was hard to find the point at which it was going to break clean, for a precision shot. At least with the GI trigger I could take up all the creep to the point where I knew any more movement would release the hammer (IE a crisp break). I'd stay away from the 2 stage.

bigdaddya3
05-19-08, 21:12
when i wanted to build my first ar i was going to go the route you want to go instead of saving to buy the components you mentioned i decided to really build an ar which consisted of a good lower, fcg,bcg,upper one of denny's barrels see where i'm going instead of a sopmod stock which by the way is excellent i bought the tools to assemble my rifle. there's nothing like range day with your first real build when you pull the trigger and the bullet leaves the barrel the brass is extracted and a new round enters the chamber. i now own 15 ar's i've built and can fix any malfunction encountered which i'm glad to say are very few. shop around this forum is packed with good info, and if you go this route i know you will have enough to buy some nice glass. just a thought good luck.

kkpudge7
05-19-08, 21:25
I'm continuing to learn, and study for my nearing purchase. I've read alot of threads here about the 2-stage LMT trigger, so based on that info I'm gong to scrap that option. Many have described it as being not much different than its 1-stage counterpart, and some have said it is too soft/spongey.

One thing that is leaning my decision towards the Noveske, is the mid length gas system. I've read several reviews on this, and many have said that it runs very smooth. I really want to try this system out.

Its all about weighing my options, and just getting what I want I suppose. Both are quality pieces of equipment, and I'm sure I would be happy with both. But I might just go with the mid length system, it is drawing me in. lol

The research drags on. I apologize to all the experienced ar goers on this site, I'm sure you have heard these things a billion times. I just want to make an educated purchase.

Thermodyn
05-21-08, 11:37
I have the same exact LMT set up as well. My brother harvested the SOPMOD stock and it now resides on his LE-6920, and I opted for an old school CAR stock until MAGPUL releases their new ACS stocks. I am awaiting a parts order from Grant at this very moment, which includes an LMT LPK w/standard trigger to replace the two-stage. The two-stage is not bad, but I don't really care too much for it's feel. It also is set further forward in the lower, which increases trigger reach. That may or may not be a good thing for you, depending on the size of your hands.

Overall, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably go with the Noveske, even though the Troy BUIS, and the VLTOR stock are not what I would choose either. I think the Noveske has the quality edge.

Rob_s's advice seems like a good compromise for you as well.

Stickman
05-21-08, 12:47
I've read alot of threads here about the 2-stage LMT trigger, so based on that info I'm gong to scrap that option. Many have described it as being not much different than its 1-stage counterpart, and some have said it is too soft/spongey.

Where did you ever read that the LMT 2 stage doesn't feel much different than the single stage? Most of us could have a digit chopped off and still feel the difference.

I don't feel a desire for a 2 stage based off long term reliability issues that many have, the exception would be the new Geissele non-adjustable 2 stage. I'll point out that I don't use my lower very often that has my LMT 2 stage in it, but I'm probably around 3-4k rounds through it without problems.

kkpudge7
05-21-08, 20:43
Stickman, I trust your opinion as you have much more experience with these rifles than I do. Someone on another forum said that the triggers didn't seem that much different to them.

Right now I am leaning towards the Noveske, a pretty hard lean I might add. Another question that I do have though, would I be able to request a different color of stock? Their website lists all three (Earth, Black, and Green) at the same price. Would he slap a different one on there, or do you have to go black with the complete rifle?

Thermodyn
05-22-08, 11:11
Another question that I do have though, would I be able to request a different color of stock? Their website lists all three (Earth, Black, and Green) at the same price. Would he slap a different one on there, or do you have to go black with the complete rifle?

Just give john a call, he's a great guy. I'm sure he can work something out with you if you ask. His website says:

"Call (541) 479-6117 or email with any questions or inquiries you may have."

kkpudge7
05-22-08, 15:20
Yeah, I have heard many good things about John and his CS. I will definitely give them a call and see what we can work out.