PDA

View Full Version : Colt lower

varoadking
05-16-08, 06:51
$578.00 plus shipping and transfer fees for a stripped lower - pony or not - seems pretty steep to me...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=96880180

Am I missing something?

Parabellum9x19mm
05-16-08, 06:58
pretty steep?

that's just insane.

did it even start life as a stripped lower? the seller states "This is a Colt #6920 Stripped lower receiver. The parts were removed right out of the box."

seems like he took the lower parts out and it doesn't even come with an LPK.

i'd rather have 5 double star lowers (and still have about $80 left over) than buy that.

hell, i wouldn't even have bought it at the starting price of $325. i'd never pay more than $160 for a forged lower. Noveske stripped lowers sell for $145.

they are all the same anyway, just different roll marks, and i really couldn't care less about roll marks. i dont care if my uppers or lowers are different brands or not.

Cold Zero
05-16-08, 07:05
That may be both steep and insane. It is not even a pre ban. But, the bidding started at $325 and it now says actualy sold for $578. Somebody was willing to put a LPK into it at that price.:eek:

tiger seven
05-16-08, 09:46
Supply and demand. Basic economics.

How many places are there where you can buy a Colt lower, complete or stripped, new or used? Since there are so far of them on the open market, they will undoubtedly carry a premium - and that's above and beyond the premium that just about everything that says "Colt" on it already carries.

Is it worth it? If you want one bad enough, it is. Ultimately, it's worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.

Derek

Parabellum9x19mm
05-16-08, 10:00
i often sell used stuff on Ebay for more than i originally paid. i'm not talking about anything rare either. stuff that is readily available off the shelf, that i sell for more than retail.

does that make it "worth" it? i'm not talking from an abstract economic perspective, i'm talking from a common sense perspective. i think it just makes some people on auction sites stupid.

its great how HK and Colt play this supply game intentionally to artificially raise their prices beyond levels that any rational person would deem reasonable.

what do i know? i'm sure this Colt lower is 4 times better than a Noveske lower :rolleyes: the Colt lower isn't even really brand new. someone took out all the parts.

i keep hearing all these wonderful things about Colt's QC. they sold me an XSE that totally shat the bed and had a catastrophic failure in under 100 rounds. i sent it back to them over a week ago and still no word. no refund on my $85 shipping tab either. i didn't even get so much as a RMA number when i called them.

my experiences so far? shitty QC and shitty CS. worst of both worlds.

R Moran
05-16-08, 15:41
Colt XSE 1911's are made by Colt Manufacturing, Colt 6920's are made by Colt Defense, they are seperate companies.

How is Colt charging the premium? I don't think its Colt auctioning it off.

How much of the limited availability of the Colt is due to the war? And, since when is being succesful in America a crime? If they found away to make more money, good on them, if you won't spend the money, or feel its not worth it, good on you, but don't begrudge a company its success.

If the buyer is happy with it and the price, all's well, if hes just to stupid to realize how much he over paid, well, he should've come here first.

Bob

varoadking
05-16-08, 17:32
Colt XSE 1911's are made by Colt Manufacturing, Colt 6920's are made by Colt Defense, they are seperate companies.

How is Colt charging the premium? I don't think its Colt auctioning it off.

How much of the limited availability of the Colt is due to the war? And, since when is being succesful in America a crime? If they found away to make more money, good on them, if you won't spend the money, or feel its not worth it, good on you, but don't begrudge a company its success.

If the buyer is happy with it and the price, all's well, if hes just to stupid to realize how much he over paid, well, he should've come here first.

Bob

So how much would you reckon he overpaid, Bob?

Robb Jensen
05-16-08, 18:15
I believe SAW used to sell them with a lower parts kit installed for $500 or something very close. The Colt Kool-Aid drinkers will pay it..........

I got my 6721 lower on a trade from someone who paid about $450-500 from SAW.

varoadking
05-16-08, 19:27
Thanks, Robb...

This just seemed well more than it was truly worth...and it is as far as I'm concerned...

Hope to see you next Tuesday...or Thursday...gotta pick up that 4056TSW I got from J&G Sales...

Sittin' down here in a hotel in Orlando waitin' for my kids to arrive. They just landed in Atlanta - switching planes as I type...

Busch Gardens in Tampa tomorrow and back here for the Duran Duran concert Sunday night...

Despite being such an old fossil, they tell me I'm still a pretty kewl dad...

N4LtRecce
05-16-08, 19:28
Insane. I could understand if it were the last stripped lower on the planet, but...

Hootiewho
05-16-08, 19:33
A man can buy a Colt rifle at a reasonable price, strip it out and sell the parts for more than what he paid for the rifle. Some people will pay anything for Pony parts.

R Moran
05-17-08, 16:30
So how much would you reckon he overpaid, Bob?

At least 20 bucks.

My brother in law:rolleyes: makes some good money selling items on e-bay. My sister makes very good money as a NY accountant, and she is always amazes at how much people will pay for something because its on eBay.
They had people paying 200 bucks for a North Face jacket, that costs 75 at REI.
That doesn't make North Face responsible, does it?
whether its the bidding war, the idea that it must be a good price if its on eBay, or what, some people are gonna pay, if their willing to pay, I'm willing to take it.

I'm not saying its worth it, and he didn't overpay, I just don't think Colt is the big evil empire some people believe it is, but then again, I don't have a problem with big oil or big tobacco companies either.

Bob

Parabellum9x19mm
05-17-08, 19:41

'
i know they're separate companies...

just not happy with the rampant pony right now i guess....

Razorhunter
05-18-08, 14:55
You guys think Colt is bad? KAC wants $16,000.00 for the M110 SASS, and about $8K-$10K IIRC for a Match SR25 now.
I couldn't BELIEVE this.
This is their FACTORY PRICE too. NOT what someone is charging on the secondary market.
Does anyone even know if there is an AFFORDABLE SR25 being produced now?
I was told that they ALL jumped in price, SKY HIGH jumped.

xcibes
05-18-08, 20:04
Too much...just saw 3 stripped colt upper AND lower combos for $475.00 today

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-18-08, 20:20
Maybe I am crazy, but I think I would just buy a whole Colt rifle.