PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Maryland

natsb
01-17-14, 11:33
I am brand new to the world of AR. New, as in I lost my AR virginity at the range only two weeks ago. I never even shot one until then. I am not even sure how I ended up owning one other than my wife couldn't think of anything else to get me for Christmas. I have shotguns, lever rifles, and bolt rifles. So while at a gun show, my wife pointed to a table full of ARs and said "You don't have anything like those. Don't you want one?" I said "Maybe some day."

Fast forward to Christmas morning and I am opening a long thin box that is labelled "From Santa". And there it is, my first AR. As Santa was also kind enough to provide a couple of hundred rounds, I was off to the range the first week of January.

Wow! Just Wow!... How come I didn't know these things were so much fun? How come I didn't know how accurate they are? I am now an official former member of the Only-bolt-rifles-are-accurate club. For full disclosure, I used to be one of those guys who never considered an AR because they were Tinker Toys, not real rifles. I have seen the light and beg forgiveness.

Apparently, AR's are also some sort of addictive drug. I just can't stop looking for accessories even though I haven't figured out what to do with the ones that came with the rifle yet. The scope was easy, I know where that goes. I haven't come up with a comfortable location for the laser or the light. I am still scanning the forums looking for other people's opinions. As further testimony to the addictiveness of this drug... er... gun, I have already found myself shopping the net for something in a 7.62 calibre. If 5.56 is this much fun, bigger must be better. At least that is what I have talked myself into believing.

So I look forward to getting a newbie education and soaking in all the different opinions.

Cmm46
01-17-14, 12:12
Welcome! As far as mounting options I would recommend putting the light where you can access it with either hand. For me it's mounted to the left of the front sight post and I have a pressure switch on the top rail. I'm a lefty and I can still work the light if I'm shooting with my support side. You can google something like "ar15 lights picture thread". You'll find pics of different mounting locations and mounts to give you some ideas. And one other piece of advice when it comes to buying gear and accessories. "If you buy cheap you buy twice". So do your research and buy good quality stuff. Enjoy!

BOOSTjunkie
01-17-14, 15:00
if you love ARs enough you will leave MD... i was back there for the holidays and i cant imagine living there with all the guns i have most of which are prohibited now.

Gundahar
01-24-14, 12:04
He can always pick up a totally legal HBAR from Engage Armament.

Gundahar

Failure2Stop
01-24-14, 12:50
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/197/083/Hidden%20Troll.jpg

slybarman
01-24-14, 13:54
Hmmm . . . if it was a surprise it must be an HBAR . . . or it is your wife's AR. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using TapaTalk

Gundahar
01-24-14, 13:59
She also could have bought a non-HBAR right up until Oct. 1. The new law is just that....new. Currently AR10's and HBAR's are wholly legit. Just have to buy mags out of state (but that was always true over 20 rounds, even before).

Gundahar

slybarman
01-24-14, 14:08
Sure, but it was still regulated prior to 10/1 which is why it was either hbar or in her name.

natsb
01-24-14, 16:12
Hmmm . . . if it was a surprise it must be an HBAR . . . or it is your wife's AR. :)

Yes, it is a HBAR. Non-HBAR ARs are illegal to purchase in Maryland after October 1st.

natsb
01-24-14, 16:16
She also could have bought a non-HBAR right up until Oct. 1. The new law is just that....new. Currently AR10's and HBAR's are wholly legit. Just have to buy mags out of state (but that was always true over 20 rounds, even before).

Gundahar

Yes, it is a "legit" HBAR rifle; it was purchased in December. The barrel (seen in the OP) has H-BAR stamped on it. It came with two sad 10 round mags. I would have preferred a single 20, but those are illegal since Oct 1st.

slybarman
01-24-14, 18:21
You can buy larger mags out of state (va or pa) and bring them back to Maryland. They are not illegal to possess or use.

natsb
01-24-14, 20:09
You can buy larger mags out of state (va or pa) and bring them back to Maryland. They are not illegal to possess or use.

I have heard this, but I am not inclined to be a law tester. Yes, I have an official ninny badge. My concern is based on a recent transaction with Ruger. When I sent my SR40c in for repair, I was instructed not to send in the large mag because they would not be able to return it.

They were not selling me a mag, just returning one I already owned. So do they know something, or just being hyper sensitive?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

slybarman
01-24-14, 20:35
Ruger is being cautious i would say and maybe correct. it is unlawful to buy sell or transfer a magazine over 10 rounds IN MARYLAND. The statute does not say it is unlawful to possess. Maryland, of course had no jurisdiction outside of Maryland which is why you leave the state to purchase or transfer a magazine over 10 rounds. That said, do what you are comfortable with.