PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Grip Replacements????

coontz74
01-17-14, 20:50
For you all that have replaced your pistol grips with any other manufacturer (BCM, Magpul, Ergo, etc.), how was the fit?

I see a lot of posts that say they don't fit at all on the newer built rifles (in the last couple yrs). I am wanting to change out my pistol grip for a MIAD preferably but would consider others if they fit the best?

Any info from current DD owners that could lead me in the right direction is appreciated...

Thanks

Ops
01-17-14, 21:57
depends on the lower and grip. if its a billet than your options are cut as they usually have a built in trigger guard.

I grip I love is the Stark SE-1 the texture is awesome. I even cut one up to use on a billet. it has a built in wide trigger guard

http://starkequipment.com/Pages/se1-ar/se1-ar.html

but any regular trigger based off the a2 grip should be a drop in replacement

Kain
01-17-14, 22:07
If you like the MIAD grab one and try it. I think the percentage of those who have issues are outweighed heavily by those who don't. I've run MIADs,(currently one two rifles) BCM Mod 1, Hogue, ERGO , A2 and a couple others over the past several years in several lowers of various makes and models and installed numerous grips for friends with few issues. And the issues usually are that the grip is tight getting on the rifle, not that it is a bad fit once it is on there.

coontz74
01-18-14, 18:14
Ops - This is just a standard off the shelf DDM4 V5 so I wouldn't think it would be billet??? But I don't pick the gun up till this coming Friday so I can't answer you accurately???

Kain - Thanks for your comments as well. I believe you're right, I should just buy the grip I like and give it a try. I love reading everyone's opinions and experiences but I guess I won't know what I need unless I give it a shot... Thanks again.

If anyone else has some experiences to share please do......

Clint
01-18-14, 20:05
Most any pistol grip will fit without issue.

The MOE+ is an excellent choice.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MOE-AR15-M16-Grip-BLACK-p/mag416%20-%20black.htm

coontz74
01-18-14, 20:52

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MOE-AR15-M16-Grip-BLACK-p/mag416%20-%20black.htm

On the surface, I would definitely agree with you as any milspec lower should be an easy drop in replacement but, this is just one of the several articles I have ran across that states otherwise????

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_382/244420_Grip_Screw_Hole_Misalignment_on_New_DDm4_v5.html

I think I may just buy one to my liking and give it a shot? I don't know what else to do as opinions vary so much??

Thanks for your comments....

Psybain
01-19-14, 01:04

I agree, I used the same grip on my ddm4v1 and love it. The only problem I had was that it was a pain in the ass to screw it in, but it fits great.

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk. There will be typos.

MSpera
01-24-14, 10:20
I just put an MOE on my DD and it was a really tight fit getting it around the section that it screws to, shaved a little bit of plastic off the grip. There's also a slight gap between the grip and trigger guard, but I don't feel it when I'm shooting.

I am changing out the MOE for a BCM mod3 real soon, so I can report back with fitment findings on that as well

Psybain
01-24-14, 10:22
I'd like to see how the new dd grips are, they look nice

B Cart
01-24-14, 11:41
Another vote for the Magpul MOE +, or the BCM grip if you want more of a straight up and down grip. I've also heard the new DD grips are pretty nice from those who handled them at SHOT

coontz74
01-25-14, 20:24
I just put an MOE on my DD and it was a really tight fit getting it around the section that it screws to, shaved a little bit of plastic off the grip. There's also a slight gap between the grip and trigger guard, but I don't feel it when I'm shooting.

I am changing out the MOE for a BCM mod3 real soon, so I can report back with fitment findings on that as well

Yes, please let me know how the BCM fits too.. Thanks for your reply..

I'd like to see how the new dd grips are, they look nice

Me too, I actually like the look of the grip too. I think it may be a while before they (DD) sell them as a separate item???? Wish I could get my hands on one though...

Another vote for the Magpul MOE +, or the BCM grip if you want more of a straight up and down grip. I've also heard the new DD grips are pretty nice from those who handled them at SHOT

I'm going to feel a few different models when I pick my rifle up Monday. Maybe I will have a better feel for which one I want to try and make fit??

coontz74
02-08-14, 08:35
Decided on the BCM Mod 3. Picked it up for a good price and thought I would give it a try? Feels good in the hand so far but haven't installed it on the rifle yet. Thanks to all those that replied...

MSpera
02-12-14, 20:14
Finally got the gunfighter and took some pics in case some people were wondering.

MOE
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t156/cameronsdad04/Guns/IMG_20140212_194404_216.jpg (http://s159.photobucket.com/user/cameronsdad04/media/Guns/IMG_20140212_194404_216.jpg.html)

BCM mod 3
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t156/cameronsdad04/Guns/IMG_20140212_195902_530.jpg (http://s159.photobucket.com/user/cameronsdad04/media/Guns/IMG_20140212_195902_530.jpg.html)

coontz74
02-13-14, 19:26
Thanks for the pics. I haven't had a chance to install mine yet but I hope it pulls up a little tighter than the one you have installed?? Any tips for install?? Thanks again!!

MSpera
02-14-14, 12:47
It's easy. I might try to heat up the tab that goes under the trigger guard to see if it'll flex a little and suck that grip up tighter

coontz74
02-14-14, 19:51
It's easy. I might try to heat up the tab that goes under the trigger guard to see if it'll flex a little and suck that grip up tighter

That sounds like it might work? I have read some people trim them off as well? Please let me know which route you go and if not too much trouble include another pic as well?

Thanks for your input!!!

txfactor
02-18-14, 23:10
That sounds like it might work? I have read some people trim them off as well? Please let me know which route you go and if not too much trouble include another pic as well?

Thanks for your input!!!

Why do you end every sentence with a question mark? Do you need a confidence boost? Does it feel like your whole life you've been searching for something?

coontz74
02-19-14, 10:08
Why do you end every sentence with a question mark? Do you need a confidence boost? Does it feel like your whole life you've been searching for something?

Thank you for your contribution to this thread.

coontz74
02-20-14, 21:04
Got a chance to install my BCM Mod 3 this evening. Pretty pleased how it turned out. I have a VERY SMALL gap right behind the trigger and I had to open up the grip hole about 1/32" but it went right on and pulled up nice.

I think the only thing keeping it from PERFECT may be the little ear/shelf in the front of the grip. I may take it back off and trim that ear back but I'm pretty pleased with it as is.

Let me know what you guys think? Thanks for all the replies, suggestions and experiences from all of you!!!

MSpera
02-21-14, 12:15
You opened up the screw hole a little bit and it fit better? I'll have to try that since my heating idea didn't work

coontz74
02-21-14, 22:09
You opened up the screw hole a little bit and it fit better? I'll have to try that since my heating idea didn't work

Sorry to hear the heating idea didn't pan out for you. But to answer your question, yes I just took a small file and opened up the grip hole about a 1/32"-1/16" and tightened it down pretty good and the pics show the rest.
Hope it helps you with yours...

sasage
02-27-14, 07:49
I installed a MOE grip on my DDM4V7 that required me to file the hole a bit forward to make a flush fit with the lower receiver.

coontz74
02-27-14, 08:11
I installed a MOE grip on my DDM4V7 that required me to file the hole a bit forward to make a flush fit with the lower receiver.

Yea, that seems to be a common "fix" with what I've seen and heard so far. I'm fairly pleased with how mine turned out but I may pick up one of DD's new grips when they are available.
I would think they should fit like a glove....

The_One
02-27-14, 08:48
Recently installed a Magpul MOE + grip on my 6920 and it fit perfectly. I really like the rubberized feel. Just the right amount and not too tacky.

Airhasz
02-27-14, 12:05
Got a chance to install my BCM Mod 3 this evening. Pretty pleased how it turned out. I have a VERY SMALL gap right behind the trigger and I had to open up the grip hole about 1/32" but it went right on and pulled up nice.

I think the only thing keeping it from PERFECT may be the little ear/shelf in the front of the grip. I may take it back off and trim that ear back but I'm pretty pleased with it as is.

Let me know what you guys think? Thanks for all the replies, suggestions and experiences from all of you!!!

That grip fit is good. Go put some ammo through it and review the grip.

Wolfpack45
02-27-14, 15:23
It looks like the issue with the gap is the tang on the grip impacting the magpul trigger guard. Seems to me that the only thing needed would be to file/sand a little on the tang to allow the grip to snug itself up and in.

ccoker
02-27-14, 15:57
That is what I did
Removed a little material as needed

coontz74
02-27-14, 18:19
That grip fit is good. Go put some ammo through it and review the grip.

I agree. I'm pretty pleased with it. Can't seem to get a day off work to go try it out but when I do I'll be sure and make a little review from what I experience.

coontz74
02-27-14, 18:23
It looks like the issue with the gap is the tang on the grip impacting the magpul trigger guard. Seems to me that the only thing needed would be to file/sand a little on the tang to allow the grip to snug itself up and in.

I believe you are correct as well. When I look real close at the fitment on my rifle, that little tang appears to be what is holding it out that last couple of millimeters.
I will probably leave mine as is until the new DD grips are available for purchase, pick one of those up and then probably experiment more with the BCM.
For now though, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

coontz74
02-27-14, 18:26
That is what I did
Removed a little material as needed

Would you have any pics of how yours looks now? Maybe what process you used to remove some of the material off the tang? Dremel, sand paper, etc?

Thanks for your reply.