PDA

View Full Version : Who offers the best stippling service for a MP9 for a good price?

Kenneth
01-17-14, 21:27
I am going to pick up a LE M&P9 FS from Grant and want to get it stippled. I'm looking for someone who can get it stippled and back in a quick time. I am so not wanting to break the bank. If anyone knows of a place that can do it in DFW are that would be great so I don't have to pay so much for shipping.

SkyLine1
01-18-14, 11:04
Doesn't Grant do stippling also? At least he used to....IIRC.

Kenneth
01-18-14, 11:07
I think right now is a bad time for him with SHOT and other stuff going on. He said he didn't have time to really work on it. I wanted to get it done by him but he's a busy man.

Inkslinger
01-18-14, 11:19
In all honesty, it's not difficult. Unless you're looking for the more elaborate patterns that some people do. Pick up a cheap soldering or wood burning iron and you could probably have it done in less than an hour. Look at the stippling thread to get some ideas. I do a pattern that comes out almost like grip tape. I use light erratic touches and drags to get the effect. You can do it!

punkey71
01-18-14, 11:37
Check out Lane Owens at Cold Bore Customs.

He has pics of his work on his website for reference and I am very pleased with the reduction/stippling on my G19. I'm sending him a G17 as well.

I'm sure there are others but my experience with Lane was excellent.

Be ready to wait though. Custom work from him is about a 3 month wait last I checked.

It was worth it to me.

Harold

I am going to pick up a LE M&P9 FS from Grant and want to get it stippled. I'm looking for someone who can get it stippled and back in a quick time. I am so not wanting to break the bank. If anyone knows of a place that can do it in DFW are that would be great so I don't have to pay so much for shipping.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Kenneth
01-18-14, 12:01
Can't wait three months is the problem. I need it for a duty weapon as I am in a police academy now.

KCBRUIN
01-18-14, 12:05
Have you checked with the agency you're going to work for to see if their policy allows for modifications like that to be made to your duty weapon? Our policy strictly prohibits modifications to the weapon itself.

Kenneth
01-18-14, 12:09
Yes they allow it. As long as the armorer clears it and his gun is stippled. I wasn't going to get it done but he let me handle his (G21) and I liked the stippling effect.

Inkslinger
01-18-14, 12:10
Yes they allow it. As long as the armorer clears it and his gun is stippled. I wasn't going to get it done but he let me handle his (G21) and I liked the stippling effect.

Maybe he'll do it for you.

Kenneth
01-18-14, 12:18
Lol lets say they aren't treating us very well at this point and favors are out of the question. Were in the stage of get hazed constantly and appreciate it haha. I would rather just get everything done myself.

SPDGG
01-18-14, 12:45
imho: I'd wait. Get another Glock/M&P/etc. later on & get it done right.

Pinnacle
01-18-14, 15:29

I only have a single experience with them, but I vote for KASE firearms. They did an amazing job on my Glock 19 in very short order. I'm going to send them a few more pistols soon. Email me for pics and better info.

NCPatrolAR
01-18-14, 15:58
Get some spare grip inserts, a wood pencil, and play around with doing your own insert. Stippling the insert will give you increased traction and give you time for some other opportunities to present themselves

TXBK
01-18-14, 16:06
If you want someone that does a quality stippling job, you are going to have to wait for it.

I contacted Lane @ Cold Bore the first week of December, and he wasn't taking new orders. He told me to get back with him in the middle of January, and I have not received a response yet after trying to contact him again. I am in no hurry, though.

Stippling work is a highly sought after modification, and the guys that do it well are backed up. Your only choice is to do it yourself, or wait.

el_chupo_
01-18-14, 16:32
If you dont want to do it yourself, but want the better grip, have you thought about just buying the grip insert already done, and then when you have time (to do it your self, or send it off) you can do so?

I have no experience with this guy, but it looks pretty good:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-W-M-P-Full-Sized-9-40-45-Stippled-2pc-Set-Sale-6-/261372682445?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdb06a0cd

Texaspoff
01-18-14, 21:40
If you want someone that does a quality stippling job, you are going to have to wait for it.

I contacted Lane @ Cold Bore the first week of December, and he wasn't taking new orders. He told me to get back with him in the middle of January, and I have not received a response yet after trying to contact him again. I am in no hurry, though.

Stippling work is a highly sought after modification, and the guys that do it well are backed up. Your only choice is to do it yourself, or wait.

I apologize for not getting your email answered in a more timely manner. I am also a full time officer and that job keeps me quite busy and sometimes takes me a bit to get to my CBC emails. Please bear with me guys, trying out a new email system as well that will hopefully keep me a little better informed. Thanks

TXPO

bullitt5172
01-19-14, 11:20
Contact Chad, good guy and I believe he is still turning them around pretty quickly. When I find the time to go see him, I'll take him mine. In the meantime, i've been happy with my CORE insert.

http://sweatymuddybloody.com

SteveL
01-19-14, 11:38
It's really easy to do yourself. All it costs is the price of a soldering iron and some time. Set up in a well lit area and try it out on one of the backstraps you don't use and see how easy it is.

I was really nervous about doing mine the first time but it's a piece of cake. I used a business card (flexible straight edge) and a Sharpie to outline the areas I wanted to do, followed over the lines with the soldering iron and then filled them in. You can also follow the contours in the grip on the M&P for a nice look. Just be sure not to go too high on the backstrap as it can bite into the web of your hand. I'd go to the top of the removable backstrap but no higher.

Tomahawk_Ghost
01-19-14, 12:12
Practice first. It would be worth it to find a spare backstrap to practice on. The zytel should be about the same composition. It is easy to do.

kantstudien
01-19-14, 12:36
Buy another gun and send it off to get stippled.

Don't screw around with the Academy gun. If anything, the Instructors will single you out for bringing a "custom" gun to the Academy because you think you're a special snowflake.

diving dave
01-19-14, 12:42
If your in the academy now, you have much bigger fish to fry than worrying about your guns grip..

Marshall Dillon
01-19-14, 23:43
Get in touch with Chris Damato (http://www.damatocustomstippling.com). Met up with him at SHOT and he showed me some of his stippling work. Very high quality and a great guy to boot. Making arrangements to send him one of my pistols right now.

dougwg
01-20-14, 11:50
Contact Chad, good guy and I believe he is still turning them around pretty quickly. When I find the time to go see him, I'll take him mine. In the meantime, i've been happy with my CORE insert.

http://sweatymuddybloody.com
+1
And if you need it fast Chad will work with you.

trinydex
01-21-14, 13:42
random off topic, is there a show off your stippled polymer frame pistol thread?

SoTex1
01-23-14, 15:29
Thy shalt not alter thy duty gear until off of probation. Your instructor will ride you. Your in house range staff will ride you. Your FTOs will ride you. Just wait a few months until you get clear of all the attention and then get it done, get your RM to bless off on it (or maybe do it for you) and go on. You won't regret waiting the few months but you will likely regret the increased "attention" at this stage in your career.

Kenneth
01-23-14, 18:37
Thanks for all the replies and the fatherly speeches. Mods can close this thread.

SPDGG
01-23-14, 18:43
Thy shalt not alter thy duty gear until off of probation. Your instructor will ride you. Your in house range staff will ride you. Your FTOs will ride you. Just wait a few months until you get clear of all the attention and then get it done, get your RM to bless off on it (or maybe do it for you) and go on. You won't regret waiting the few months but you will likely regret the increased "attention" at this stage in your career.
+1 Agree, Great advise.

LoveAR
01-23-14, 18:55
Here you go >>>https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?58431-Official-Stippling-Thread-Stippled-PMAG-s-amp-Other-Parts-let-s-see-what-you-got!&highlight=stipple