PDA

View Full Version : .22LR Ammo Availability

TXAG45
01-18-14, 06:39
What's the current status on .22 ammo? For the last 18 months I have hardly seen any and am now getting low and need to pick up some more.

This time last year, I though for sure all the foolishness regarding people hoarding 100's of thousands of rounds of .22 would be over by the time 2014 rolled around. Evidently it hasn't, so does anyone know why this situation continues and any guesses as to when things will start moving back to normal?

I even saw that CCI came out with a new .22lr 40gr or 45gr subsonic suppressor load, but if they don't add new equipment to their line, I don't see how they'll even be close to keeping up with or meeting demand.

brown3345
01-18-14, 07:27
I wouldn't hold my breath on better availability anytime soon. If you need 22 ammo you can always get it on GunBroker or at the gun shows albeit for inflated prices.

Steel head
01-18-14, 09:31
Locally it's still pretty slim.
Some 100's but no bricks to be had at all.
I'm kinda surprised how bad 22 ammo got to be honest, this last ammo/gun rush was quite thorough this time.
I'm content though, a few years back I bought a couple of cases at a very good price so I'm set for a good while.

eperk
01-18-14, 11:59
Not much of a problem around here. There is everything from bricks to 325 round nitrogen filled round cans to 50 round boxes. Don't know about the prices, I don't need any do I don't check the prices.

Bimmer
01-18-14, 14:20
You guys who don't fill out your profile with a location don't make much sense when you say "around here."

Anyway, I live in the middle of nowhere, and there's virtually nothing to be had. The guy working at a LGS told me that he stakes out the Wal-Mart on the days they receive their shipment so that he can buy ammo to shoot himself.

m1a_scoutguy
01-18-14, 14:45
I haven't bought or needed any 22 ammo for months, but have a couple buddies that are always looking for it & seem to get some every week or two !! Our local Wally World gets it in most every week, but its a right place at the right time kind of thing !! Another local sporting good store normally get some every week, but same thing,,ya gotta be there when the truck comes in !! My buddy said he just missed some this week, they had 20 Bricks (500) and the guy in front of him bought the last one !!! :( It was American Eagle and it was $28 bucks. Last time I bought some was Mid December and I got it at Gander Mtn of all places !! I just happen to be in my local one and they had a friggin bunch !! I bought 2 of the 325 rd Nitrogen packed cans,,I think they were $18/$19 something each,,they would only let you buy two cans,,I brick of target ammo,,it was 400 or so,,or 8 boxes of 50 rds ! As we were walking out I went by a end cap isle and there was a bunch of 50 rd boxes,Federal @ $2.49 per box,,I had my buddy grab 8 for me !! I walked out with 1K "plus" that day,,so I was happy & pretty much set for awhile !! Everything else is GTG around Central NY ammo wise,,but 22 is still tough,,but not impossible !!

Bimmer
01-18-14, 15:29
I haven't bought or needed any 22 ammo for months, but have a couple buddies that are always looking for it & seem to get some every week or two !! Our local Wally World gets it in most every week, but its a right place at the right time kind of thing !! Another local sporting good store normally get some every week, but same thing,,ya gotta be there when the truck comes in !! My buddy said he just missed some this week, they had 20 Bricks (500) and the guy in front of him bought the last one !!! :( It was American Eagle and it was $28 bucks. Last time I bought some was Mid December and I got it at Gander Mtn of all places !! I just happen to be in my local one and they had a friggin bunch !! I bought 2 of the 325 rd Nitrogen packed cans,,I think they were $18/$19 something each,,they would only let you buy two cans,,I brick of target ammo,,it was 400 or so,,or 8 boxes of 50 rds ! As we were walking out I went by a end cap isle and there was a bunch of 50 rd boxes,Federal @ $2.49 per box,,I had my buddy grab 8 for me !! I walked out with 1K "plus" that day,,so I was happy & pretty much set for awhile !! Everything else is GTG around Central NY ammo wise,,but 22 is still tough,,but not impossible !!

Go a little easier on the coffee... do you ever say anything without 2-3 exclamation points?

cwgibson
01-18-14, 15:29
Is aguila any good?

Piston10
01-18-14, 15:31
Is aguila any good?

I have shot several hundred rounds of it with no issues.

cwgibson
01-18-14, 15:38
I have shot several hundred rounds of it with no issues.

Thanks!

m1a_scoutguy
01-18-14, 16:36
Go a little easier on the coffee... do you ever say anything without 2-3 exclamation points?

LOL,sorry about that,,its just me,,but thanks for the tip ! Oh and Diet Mtn Dew !!! Its better for ya,,LOL !

Leaveammoforme
01-18-14, 17:20
OP.... I'm going to let you & everybody else that reads this in on how I solved my ammo (all calibers) issue. If you invest a little time , say a week, and hit the same LGS everyday at the same time of day you will figure out their schedule. Every tues I find something I need/want at my LGS. I have had some employees (I did not ask for this) even hide back ammo cause they know Im coming. I do not buy them out, I leave more than I buy. If they have 1000 of caliber X in 100 packs I'll buy 2-300. Build a respectable relationship with them (no hoarding/shelf clearing) & they will take care of you.

Bimmer
01-18-14, 17:22
OP.... I'm going to let you & everybody else that reads this in on how I solved my ammo (all calibers) issue.

Yeah, OK, except I don't want to pay LGS prices for ammo, unless you're talking WalMart.

eperk
01-18-14, 18:20
You guys who don't fill out your profile with a location don't make much sense when you say "around here."

Anyway, I live in the middle of nowhere, and there's virtually nothing to be had. The guy working at a LGS told me that he stakes out the Wal-Mart on the days they receive their shipment so that he can buy ammo to shoot himself.

Why would he want to shoot himself??? Btw I'm from Northeast Mississippi.

Bimmer
01-18-14, 18:29
Why would he want to shoot himself???

LOL. My apologies about the poor syntax.

Of course I meant "... so that he can buy ammo for his own personal use."

Leaveammoforme
01-18-14, 19:30
Yeah, OK, except I don't want to pay LGS prices for ammo, unless you're talking WalMart.

Do what you want. I support my LGS, they in turn support me.

eperk
01-18-14, 21:17
LOL. My apologies about the poor syntax.

Of course I meant "... so that he can buy ammo for his own personal use."

I know, I just wanted to bring a little levity to the thread.

JusticeM4
01-19-14, 00:12
I wouldn't hold my breath on better availability anytime soon. If you need 22 ammo you can always get it on GunBroker or at the gun shows albeit for inflated prices.

This is true. If you want "cheap" ammo at Walmart you better be there every day they deliver ammo and know the times they stock ammo. I still hear hoarders are cleaning out Walmarts at 6am; by the time you get there later in the day its all gone.

Pay the expensive prices online if you want any, or go to Walmart at 6am(or whatever time they stock it there) if you want your cheap 22lr.

Do what you want. I support my LGS, they in turn support me.

Agreed.

My lgs has bricks of 22lr, although its $75/box of 500rds. that is an insanely high price to pay for 22lr, but at least I know they have it in stock if I want to fork out the $ for it. I haven't bought any of their 22lr, but I buy other gun items at their location and they have been pretty good to me.

DetroitChris
01-19-14, 01:31
.22 LR, being so cheap to buy at retail prices, makes it easy for gougers to hoard with a very small impact to their personal wallets. And the boxes of.22 don't take up much space. So it's easy for them to keep buying and buying and selling them off at an obscene profit online. Try that with .45, 9mm or even 5.56 and it quickly becomes cost and space prohibitive. Not so with .22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fz1boxer
01-19-14, 07:28
.09-.11 a round is the norm here in metro atl when buying from individuals.
i have been in the cumming ga walmart and have seen either federal or cci in stcock,but you have to hit it at the right time.
they have gotten savy to the flippers and changed the times they put it on shelf and do so randomly,plus if you stare at the ammo case the person that works that area heads over to electronics.
so many people have gotten into shooting since 2008 that demand is high and production cant keep up.
my wife never could figure out why i had her buy a brick of 22lr(when it was 5.97 a brick)every time she went to walmart,stuff ads up.

kxlexus
01-19-14, 10:48
The hoarders buy all the 22lr at the local Walmarts. Group of retired guys get it all.
I haven't seen any at Walmart in a long time. They have 45acp, 9mm and 5.56 but no 22..
What is Walmart charging for a brick of 22lr?

fz1boxer
01-19-14, 12:44
The hoarders buy all the 22lr at the local Walmarts. Group of retired guys get it all.
I haven't seen any at Walmart in a long time. They have 45acp, 9mm and 5.56 but no 22..
What is Walmart charging for a brick of 22lr?
the 325 pack of federal automatch was 17 or 18.....not 35 like some people charge and the cci mini mag 40 or 36 grain was 36 for 500 plus tax

kwg020
01-19-14, 18:11
I was at a local Sportsmans Warehouse and at 0945 there were 10 guys standing at the door with another 5 or 6 still in their cars since it was cold and windy. All of them but one was an older retired guy. At 5 minutes to the doors opening an employee came out and said there were no .22's and 7 of the 10 left along with most of the cars. The other 3 went in and checked at the gun counter for powder. When they were told there was no powder, they left as well. I wonder how much of that ammo is showing up on the internet for sale at double the price? kwg

brown3345
01-19-14, 18:28
Probably more than we think. Probably a lot goes to the LGS as well.

blade_68
01-22-14, 03:25
In my location about all 22 LR is going to and out of LGS at $.09 a round or more. One was rebagging it in sandwich bags and charging $.25 a round the other is reselling in origin packages marked up.. at least I can get 9mms, 45, 223/5.56, 308, 12 GA. locally.

Leaveammoforme
01-22-14, 04:34
I scored 1000 win m22's @ .05 a round. Yea Tuesday!

kxlexus
01-22-14, 07:50
I finally found some 22lr at our Rural King store. 333's are
going for $16.99 each. I was there to buy something else and decided to check on the ammo.
I was surprised they had any. I didn't buy all they had. Called a friend and he bought some and left some for others.
Then I went and bought a S W 15-22. Should be a lot of fun to shoot for very little money. I am paying $.45 a rd for 5.56 and only .05 for .22lr. I know which one I will shoot the most

brown3345
01-22-14, 08:01
Just back ordered 4,000 rounds of Federal 22lr from midway. Estimated in stock date is November. Arggg. I know thats a long way off but I figured I needed to be a bit more proactive with my ammo supply.

JusticeM4
01-22-14, 22:28
I was at a local Sportsmans Warehouse and at 0945 there were 10 guys standing at the door with another 5 or 6 still in their cars since it was cold and windy. All of them but one was an older retired guy. At 5 minutes to the doors opening an employee came out and said there were no .22's and 7 of the 10 left along with most of the cars. The other 3 went in and checked at the gun counter for powder. When they were told there was no powder, they left as well. I wonder how much of that ammo is showing up on the internet for sale at double the price? kwg

This is what happens frequently. OWG's waiting at opening time for ammo to be delivered and buying it all out.

Its a perpetual cycle and its why the shortage continues...

sdelam
01-23-14, 06:04
I ordered. 5 boxes of cci from midsouthshooters in Feb last year. Still waiting.

markm
01-23-14, 10:52

I hate that shit! Drives me nuts.

eperk
01-23-14, 12:54
I can take a hint.

markm
01-23-14, 13:02
:cool:

There's a lot of times when a guy will be asking about components or parts and knowing where he is can help a lot. i.e. "I see you're in AZ... stop by Iraqgunz's house and he'll fix it for free" or if there's a hazmat product like primers, someone near him may have a few to let him try without shipping issues, etc.

Bimmer
01-23-14, 21:37
OWG's waiting at opening time for ammo to be delivered and buying it all out.

Its a perpetual cycle and its why the shortage continues...

OWGs... Olympic Winter Games? One World Government?

Anyway, I can't see how this is going to go on indefinitely. Yes, there are more guns out there than ever, many of them .22s. Yes, there are more people shooting more .22lr than ever. On the other hand, a lot of guys are clearly just hoarding. Once they've hoarded enough, then hopefully they'll stop or better yet, start selling. Then rather suddenly the bubble will pop and ammo will be available at reasonable prices again.

Don't believe it? Just think of where .223/5.56 was six months ago (available nowhere, or wretchedly overpriced), and where it is now (available everywhere, typically at less than $400/1,000 for brass-cases).

Nater
01-23-14, 21:42
OWGs = Old White Guys, I reckon.

jmk
01-23-14, 22:34
Is aguila any good?

very unreliable in both my s&w M&P15-22's (consistent failures to extract, which leads to an immediate double feed) and in my friends umarex m4 clone
will not run in my tacsol glock .22 upper where cci runs almost flawlessly.
however, i find that if i alternate a cci ar tactical, mini mag or win m-22 with a round of aguila, the gun will run well. i believe it is because the cci's have lubed/waxed bullets and the aguilas do not.

after i'm through the ones i have, probably won't buy any more.

JusticeM4
01-23-14, 22:42
OWGs... Olympic Winter Games? One World Government?

Anyway, I can't see how this is going to go on indefinitely. Yes, there are more guns out there than ever, many of them .22s. Yes, there are more people shooting more .22lr than ever. On the other hand, a lot of guys are clearly just hoarding. Once they've hoarded enough, then hopefully they'll stop or better yet, start selling. Then rather suddenly the bubble will pop and ammo will be available at reasonable prices again.

Don't believe it? Just think of where .223/5.56 was six months ago (available nowhere, or wretchedly overpriced), and where it is now (available everywhere, typically at less than $400/1,000 for brass-cases).

I hope you are right, but I won't hold my breath...

Consider this though: why is 9mm still hard to find in some areas?? I'm already seeing plenty of 40 and 45, but why no 9mm???

The reason that 223/5.56 became available sooner is that there are many other rifle calibers that people use (7.62, 5.45, 300BLK, etc) besides that. So people who had other options such as 7.62x39 and 5.45 are able to stock up on those, while giving a break to 223/5.56 and letting supply catch up. Its also reloadable so people can reuse their brass and handload.

Not so much with 22's. There's really no other caliber like 22lr and its not reloadable. That is probably the major factor. 17hmr and 22WMR are still non-existent or hard to find locally. People who have 22lr guns will have no choice but to keep buying it until they feel more secure and that the current political climate has calmed down (or they run out of money).

JusticeM4
01-23-14, 22:45
OWGs = Old White Guys, I reckon.

You got it.

jmk
01-23-14, 22:48
What's the current status on .22 ammo? For the last 18 months I have hardly seen any and am now getting low and need to pick up some more.

install the free Chrome extension Page Monitor. you bookmark all your favorite online ammo resellers and the extension notifies you when the product page changes (i.e., the text "out of stock" changes to "add to cart").

Using this I was able to accumulate...um, a LOT...of .22 at reasonable prices last year. MidwayUSA, Gander Mountain, natchez, etc.
It goes fast, so set the timer to check every 5 - 10 mins and you'll start scoring ammo every week or couple of days. In fact, I found myself starting to get choosy.

fido4x
01-26-14, 10:06
No 22LR at my local WallyWorld. Some other calibers have finally been on the shelf but the pricing isn't too good. Gunbot will get you better deals.

platoonDaddy
01-26-14, 12:44
I am retired and refuse to chase ammo and waste my gas. Sitting behind this keyboard, I check Cabela's multiple times per day and when I see a deal I jump. Also very hard to beat their back-orderable sales.

1slow01Z71
01-26-14, 13:25
I really figured the 22lr situation would be back to normal by now as well. I just don't understand who is stockpiling it at these prices. Is it because when it truly was non-existant people shot up their stash and are replacing it now? Seems like I read somewhere that CCI is making something insane like 2 million rounds a day. Ive still got a decent stash but I don't really shoot much 22lr anymore so Im not too worried about me but my son is 3 and a half so when he turns 4 in September I want to give him the 22 chipmunk I learned on almost 3 decades ago. I know when I first started shooting I shot that thing so much my dang thumb and index finger were raw from pulling the firing pin back on it. I want to make sure Ive got a big enough stash to allow him the same fun I did.

How are yall able to order from midway? Every time I get the instock email I open it immediately and its already sold out. Are the ammo bots picking up the instock notification faster than midways system? Im not trying to be greedy, I just want to order one case so my son and niece are well stocked for this fall but its still ridiculous right now obviously.

brown3345
01-26-14, 17:54
At Midway, go to the page that lists 22 LR for sale. On the left side of the page look for the area that you can refine your search. Uncheck everything except in stock and backorder OK. At that point you will see the items that you can backorder. It might be 3 to 10 months to get what you want but at least you are in the cue.

1slow01Z71
01-26-14, 18:59
Awesome, just put in a backorder for 5250 of federal and 5000 of the new Winchester 42gr subsonic. The subsonic will last me forever for how little I shoot and the federal ought keep the kids busy for at least a year. Maybe by then things will be back to normal but I wont hold my breath.

platoonDaddy
04-18-14, 13:52
CMP Sales Update - 17 April 2014

AGUILA .22LR STANDARD VELOCITY. After a very long wait, CMP received a full container (1,000 cases) of Aguila .22LR ammunition, CMP item number 419ASVSE. Because of the price increase to $305 per case, we are contacting customers who have this item on order with the option to cancel the order or to continue processing at the new price. Contact is being made via email and phone call if necessary, oldest orders first. We still have over 6,000 customer orders for this item and are expecting another shipment of 1,000 cases in June, 2014.

1_click_off
04-27-14, 07:50
Looks like folks in my area are getting to their limit on 22ammo. Seeing more and more ads where the poster is listing what they have as "Make Offer" vs. their usual inflated rates. So it must be slowing down for them.

Hmac
04-27-14, 09:54
This time last year, I though for sure all the foolishness regarding people hoarding 100's of thousands of rounds of .22 would be over by the time 2014 rolled around. Evidently it hasn't, so does anyone know why this situation continues and any guesses as to when things will start moving back to normal?

I was one of those hoarders. Not 100's of thousands of rounds, but a lot. Good thing, as it turns out. Ended up not being foolishness but a smart and convenient move. Never re-sold any, did give some away, haven't bought any or even looked for any in over a year. It will be quite a while before I need to buy more.

I do continue to accumulate 9mm and some 5.56. That's fairly easy to do these days.

TAZ
04-27-14, 14:20
Went to the gun show this weekend. Yes I know, but I needed some lowers for a family summer project with my bro. Found a half, dozen tables stocked with 22LR at outrageous prices. Best was $95 for 525 Federal champ. LOL. The good news is that it did not appear to be leaping off the shelves, so I hope the sellers had to pay a premium for it and they choke on the stuff. I have little sympathy for them. I believe they have a right to do as they want, but don't expect my support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Biged65
04-27-14, 14:49
4,000,000,000 22lr rounds are produced annually, 8,000,000 bricks of 500. 80 million gun owners so 1 brick for 1 of 10 gun owners.

all numbers were taken from internet so they have to be true, Bonjour!

Steel head
04-27-14, 15:55
One of my local shops had plenty of Win 22 in stock and walmart had some also.
I didn't look at the price though.

thei3ug
04-27-14, 16:50
Really? I went to the lgs just to see what's on the shelf and there were three old greybeards just staring at the empty rimfire shelf.
They were still standing there when I left ten minutes later, waiting for reality to tear through the quantum fabric of nightmare that is our lives.

Airhasz
04-27-14, 18:23
Really? I went to the lgs just to see what's on the shelf and there were three old greybeards just staring at the empty rimfire shelf.
They were still standing there when I left ten minutes later, waiting for reality to tear through the quantum fabric of nightmare that is our lives.

Probably brownbeards when they started.

decodeddiesel
05-01-14, 23:55
Two of the newer, trendier, LGS/indoor ranges in my area recently sent out mass e-mailings announcing the "end of the shortage!" with their recent .22lr arrivals. Both were advertising American Precision 40gr (never even heard of it), one for $90/500 and the other for $120/500 for "club members". These places make me sick. Yeah yeah, free market and all, but it's a 2 way street and these shop that have only been around since 2012 or 2010 had better remember that.

As my old Platoon Daddy used to say "I got a memory like an elephant, **** me over once and I never forget". Same with LGS that participate in price gouging. I refuse to set foot in, or give either my $ ever again. A number of shops in my area are on the NFW (No F'ign Way) list now due to flagrant price gouging.

Bimmer
05-02-14, 09:40
Two of the newer, trendier, LGS/indoor ranges in my area recently sent out mass e-mailings announcing the "end of the shortage!" with their recent .22lr arrivals. Both were advertising American Precision 40gr (never even heard of it), one for $90/500 and the other for $120/500 for "club members".

Good. They're right. At $90/500, they probably won't run out.

SteveS
05-11-14, 16:13
4,000,000,000 22lr rounds are produced annually, 8,000,000 bricks of 500. 80 million gun owners so 1 brick for 1 of 10 gun owners.

all numbers were taken from internet so they have to be true, Bonjour! 7,000,000 bricks of those have to be somewhere.

Airhasz
05-11-14, 17:56
Well I'm not the one scooping up all the 22LR. The last several times I took along my AR15/22 I became bored after the first magazine and stuffed it back in the case.