PDA

View Full Version : What To Get Next?

Father of 3
01-18-14, 12:59
I have been using my Gander Mtn card and accumulating some Gander cash. To date I have slightly over $700 and with some of it about to expire, I need to use it. I know Gander prices are over any LGS but they will price match. Currently I have a G17 and an M&P 40. I have been considering another pistol but am not sure which one to pick up. I have been wanting something with a DA/SA for a while now. My considerations are:

Beretta 92 w/ rail
CZ P-07
FNX
USP
HK 45
Sig P226/P229
Sig P220/P227 (don't own a 45 yet)

Lastly, I have considered getting an AR as I do not own one. I really enjoy pistols but something about an AR is alluring.

okie john
01-18-14, 13:56
Everything you have listed is a good choice, but I'm not sure I'd get any of them except as a police trade-in.

You already have two excellent full-sized pistols. Rather than getting another one in a different system, why not choose between the them and get a spare (or two)? I'd also consider a .22LR conversion kit, a dozen or so spare mags for each pistol, ammo, holsters, weapon-mounted light, hand-held light, etc.

If you just have to buy a gun, I'd look at a G19/G26/Shield--something that's like what you already have. The FNS, the P30, and the PPQ are also very good choices.

Okie John

harm
01-18-14, 14:21
If you can get a USP Compact or P30 in your price range do it. Otherwise I'd go w a Sig P228/229.

But that's just me. Otherwise I'd snag ammo or optics at this point.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

m1a_scoutguy
01-18-14, 14:28
WOW,,lots of good ideals posted,,but tough decisions !!! I see ya have a FNX,,good guns !! I have a FNS (Striker Fired) 9mm and I friggin love it !! Super accurate,,dam near perfect in feel/pointability/reliability !! I have close to 3K through mine since Late Spring and its been a great gun !! Any issues with FTF have been my reloads !! If ya like your FNX,,,I bet you will love the FNS !!! I know GM prices are a bit high,,but ya could spend all the Gander $$$ on Ammo !!! :) Also,,ya can't go wrong with a quality AR !! Your $$$ your choice,,,"lucky you". Keep us posted on what ya get !!! :D

KCBRUIN
01-18-14, 14:35
$700 worth of ammo is my suggestion.

brushy bill
01-18-14, 14:38
$700 worth of ammo is my suggestion.

I couldn't agree more. Make sure you have the ammo to run the guns you already have in the event of another panic.

Plumber237
01-18-14, 14:39
Just my opinion, but sell the M&P 40, buy either another 17 or a 19, and spend the rest on night sights (2 sets if your 17 doesn't have them already), mags, maybe a TLR-1, & most importantly - AMMO.

Scrubber3
01-18-14, 14:50
I'd go with the USP or another good CCW pistol that's even lighter and slimmer. You have two good full size striker fired guns. DA/SA is a different beast, but doesn't lend itself as well for CCW. I know you didn't ask about a CCW pistol, but with 2 full size already it may be a good option.

If you don't have an AR yet, of course it'd be a good investment. To be honest you can only do so much with 3 pistols. For your first AR you'll get many, many suggestions if you ask here. There are many threads on that subject. ;)

warpedcamshaft
01-18-14, 16:43
I have been using my Gander Mtn card and accumulating some Gander cash. To date I have slightly over $700 and with some of it about to expire, I need to use it. I know Gander prices are over any LGS but they will price match. Currently I have a G17 and an M&P 40. I have been considering another pistol but am not sure which one to pick up. I have been wanting something with a DA/SA for a while now. My considerations are:

Beretta 92 w/ rail
CZ P-07
FNX
USP
HK 45
Sig P226/P229
Sig P220/P227 (don't own a 45 yet)

Lastly, I have considered getting an AR as I do not own one. I really enjoy pistols but something about an AR is alluring.

Are you a concealed carry permit holder?

If you are not... you already have a few good handguns... Get an AR15.

If you do have a carry permit and don't carry every day... consider a compact/subcompact handgun perhaps.

Psalms144.1
01-18-14, 16:50
Of the pistols you mentioned, I'd go with the P-07, followed by the P226 9mm. If you're DYING for a .45 ACP, of the ones you listed, I'd opt for the HK, myself.

Regards,

Kevin

El Vaquero
01-18-14, 16:50
HK45/45c or p2000sk

MegademiC
01-18-14, 18:06
I vote a g19 and a ton of mags... Or an mrds and get a milled upper if your into that. I'd also see what they have online as their might be more stuff.

Rohardi
01-18-14, 20:37
HK45. It's an amazing gun!

R0CKETMAN
01-19-14, 06:15
G41..

eodinert
01-19-14, 07:42
I hear the PPQ is pretty amazing. That's my next experiment.

Big A
01-19-14, 10:55
:stop:

IMO you need to ask yourself some questions first before making a decision:

#!: Which pistol do I like the best, The Glock or the M&P?

#2: Which caliber do I like the best, 9mm or .40S&W?

#3: Which one am I more acurate with? (both are proven calibers, It's up to you to put them on target to stop any threat)

#4: What do I want to be more, A gun owner or a shooter?

Once you've answered those questions it will be easier to figure out the best way to spend your money.

Me personally, I would sell one pistol and buy another of the same make and caliber(I vote for a Glock 19) and some good sights for both and add in ammo, mags and training.

Vendetta
01-19-14, 11:06
Everyone pretty much summed everything up. Like Big A said, do you want to be a shooter that is proficient with the weapons he has, or buy guns and just go to the range every now and then and be average with a few pistols? Switching from the striker fired pistols over to a DA/SA is a jump, and will degrade any training you have if you aren't keeping up with both of them. Ask me how I know.

I would love to buy a HK45 compact, it's a gun I have wanted since they released them, but my saving grace from spending all the money is the fact that I have no professional use for that weapon. It will be a platform that is completely different in my hands than my Glock, and I would rather train with the weapons I use daily and be better with them, regardless of how boringly consistent and mundane they may appear.

I see guys I work around all the time talking about buying new weapons and always talking about the coolest new fad, gadget, gear, kit, plate carrier, sights, light, whatever for their weapon, and they will dump a ton of money into them. Then I see them qualify and shoot with the weapons that they carry on the job, and they suck. I'm talking about guys that constantly buy all this cool new crap to have something new, but never become proficient with it. They barely pass the qual for pistols and rifles, which is incredibly pathetic. But hey, they have a lot of stuff....

Outlander Systems
01-19-14, 11:07
:stop:

IMO you need to ask yourself some questions first before making a decision:

#!: Which pistol do I like the best, The Glock or the M&P?

#2: Which caliber do I like the best, 9mm or .40S&W?

#3: Which one am I more acurate with? (both are proven calibers, It's up to you to put them on target to stop any threat)

#4: What do I want to be more, A gun owner or a shooter?

Once you've answered those questions it will be easier to figure out the best way to spend your money.

Me personally, I would sell one pistol and buy another of the same make and caliber(I vote for a Glock 19) and some good sights for both and add in ammo, mags and training.

^ Sound advice all around.

There is no benefit to having a variety of guns, as you simply introduce a different manual of arms for each system.

I would consolidate platforms, and buy mags and ammo.

The question is whether you are a gun collector or a gun shooter.

YMMV

HKGuns
01-19-14, 12:57
^ Sound advice all around.

There is no benefit to having a variety of guns, as you simply introduce a different manual of arms for each system.

I would consolidate platforms, and buy mags and ammo.

The question is whether you are a gun collector or a gun shooter.

YMMV

Yeah, I suppose in some alternative universe this might even be 1/125th correct.

This is extremely flawed logic in the highest order, variety is the spice of life and adaptability just might save it, one day.

Unless you're mentally, physically challenged, in a combat zone, you should practice your adaptation skills. One trick ponies don't last very long or succeed in very many aspects of life.

Oh that the world were as black and white as you two appear to believe. I'll just hope it is the inexperience of youth talking.

I shoot a lot and I own a lot of different types of firearms.

Back to the OP's question, I would get the AR at this point and trade the gLoCk in for one of the HK's on the list.

GTF425
01-19-14, 13:14
It is absolutely correct if your life depends on a weapon.

Different manuals of arms may not be difficult to overcome just finger ****ing your weapon at home, but you go auto-pilot when shot at. I made tons of dumb mistakes when I was newer due to my lack of training. Now, I keep it very simple and methodical and it's paid off huge dividends.

Personally, if you can legally CCW and have the desire, I would consider a compact version of whichever gun you shoot most comfortably between the 17/M&P. Pick up spare mags for the guns you do own and a lot of ammo.

There are no problems collecting guns and I personally wish I had the income to do it...but if you ever expect to fight with one, I can't recommend enough keeping it simple and consistent.

MegademiC
01-19-14, 14:05
I don't think incorporating different guns into your training is detrimental IF you master one first. You don't want to be a novice practicing with 5 different guns with 3 different methods of operation (ie different triggers, sights, mag releases, etc). To me, it seems the best course of action is to master one gun of your choice, and once you become very proficient, learning how to manipulate and become proficient with other guns. Basically you don't want to practice all week with a paddle release HK, light lem, no safety, then carry a 1911 or da gun on the weekend. If you have to use it, there is a much greater chance of not performing well.

Also, id rather have a carry gun, and tricked out race gun of the same type than have 3 or 4 different guns just to have and look at.

Plumber237
01-19-14, 14:37
Yeah, I suppose in some alternative universe this might even be 1/125th correct.

This is extremely flawed logic in the highest order, variety is the spice of life and adaptability just might save it, one day.

You do realize that you contradicted the shit out of yourself in your first two sentences, right? Unless your second sentence is coming straight out of your "alternative universe". Telling someone that their advice is wrong in an "alternative universe" is not exactly a good way to approach an arguement. In THIS universe, consolidating and mastering a platform that will be knowingly available to you is good advice. Hypothetically speaking, if I were preparing to deploy to a combat zone I would rather spend 99.99% of my firearms training on the platform/s that I will be issued and carrying rather that wasting time becoming intimately familiar with the weapons of my opposition. A basic understanding of said opposition's weapons would be about all I'd worry about; since if you reach the situation where you no longer have your own weapon (or ammo for it), and can acquire an opposition weapon you are most likely in a situation that no amount of training will get you out of (last stand).

Outlander Systems
01-19-14, 15:15

Unless you're mentally, physically challenged, in a combat zone, you should practice your adaptation skills. One trick ponies don't last very long or succeed in very many aspects of life.

Oh that the world were as black and white as you two appear to believe. I'll just hope it is the inexperience of youth talking.

I shoot a lot and I own a lot of different types of firearms.

Back to the OP's question, I would get the AR at this point and trade the gLoCk in for one of the HK's on the list.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Variety is the spice of life, if you're into wine tasting.

If you're shooting to get your rocks off, then keep doing what you do, slick.

I train with a purpose.

YMMV

Father of 3
01-19-14, 18:06
I should have been more clear with my OP. I have the Glock and the M&P which are very similar in the manual of arms (i.e. no safety, striker fired, push button mag release) and those are my carry guns. I have no problem carrying and concealing a full size gun when I am able to (not allowed to carry at work). The choices I was considering would not replace either of the two for carry. I would love to attend a training class, however the Gander cash is basically gift certificates only redeemable at Gander Mtn.

I have given consideration to ammo, but Gander is just so dang high w/ ammo. At least they will price match with their firearms. What the hell though, $700 in ammo sure would be fun.

I have not considered getting a duplicate of my Glock or M&P. How many of you have a spare gun for your primary?

BTW, I just sold a G19. Not a fan of the midsize or baby Glocks.

Outlander Systems
01-19-14, 18:39
I have given consideration to ammo, but Gander is just so dang high w/ ammo. At least they will price match with their firearms. What the hell though, $700 in ammo sure would be fun.

I have not considered getting a duplicate of my Glock or M&P. How many of you have a spare gun for your primary?

Good man! $700 worth of ammunition is never a poor investment.

I personally keep an identical setup to my primary carry gun. Identical accessories, etc.

For my needs, it's a good idea.

YMMV

Plumber237
01-19-14, 19:24

As the old saying goes: two is one, one is none...

KCBRUIN
01-19-14, 19:44
$700 worth of ammo will be way more fun then a new gun that you need to buy ammo for to enjoy. Plus if you sign up for some classes you'll have more than enough ammo to complete the classes.

friendlyfireisnt
01-19-14, 20:08

I do. Got a pair of M&P9's, setup virtually identical. Both stippled the same, same Apex upgrades. The only difference is that 1 has a crimson trace grip and a inforce APL mounted.

Having two identical pistols is a great thing. If one breaks, just swap over to the other. Want to try a new type of sight or maybe a laser or some other gizmo? Put it on the second one as a "test bed" until you decide if you like said sight/gizmo. That way, your primary weapon isn't compromised while you evaluate the accessory.

That said, sometimes it's nice to have a slightly different firearm. I am actually currently evaluating a P-07 from your list. Got an extended barrel version, with night sights for $527. That version doesn't come with the decocker though, only the manual safety.

So far it's pretty promising, and I am having no issues swapping between the two pistols.

okie john
01-19-14, 21:42
How many of you have a spare gun for your primary?

I have a couple. Glocks are cheap.

Okie John

warpedcamshaft
01-19-14, 22:07

I have 3 copies of my primary carry pistol, and I think it is a good idea to have at least a spare pistol identical to your chosen carry weapon.

That said, I find that with one evening of dry fire, I can usually switch between different types of handguns and maintain a high standard of performance. (Striker, DA/SA, HK LEM...) This doesn't work well for some people... and having backups can be very crucial if this is your position.

Barron_1
01-19-14, 22:44
At this point in life I would part ways with the M&P and go for another g-17. But to answer your original question, if you desire double/single go with HK regardless of frame size or caliber.

Father of 3
01-20-14, 06:34
I am suprised to see more in favor of dumping the M&P and getting another Glock. Is that because the M&P is a 40 or is there that much disdain for M&P's? I do admit facing another $100 +/- for a trigger upgrade is a bit perplexing.

Talon167
01-20-14, 07:00
$700 worth of ammo will be way more fun then a new gun that you need to buy ammo for to enjoy. Plus if you sign up for some classes you'll have more than enough ammo to complete the classes.

And we have a winner. :dirol:

I would also say ammo. At least some of it on ammo.

whick1
01-20-14, 07:13
You already have 2 very capable handguns I would get me an AR. If they price match you can get a Colt 6920 for the $700 Gander Cash and $300 more. If you just do not want an AR I would look at getting a smaller carry piece like a Glock 26, M&P Compact or Shield. Of the pistols you have listed I like the HK best. My experiences with Sig have been hit or miss and while I have not owned one on about 10 years I have shot several. Extra mags are very expensive with the Sig and accessories for the CZ, Fn and HK are hard to come by.

Just my 2 cents.

Psalms144.1
01-20-14, 08:22

BTW, I just sold a G19. Not a fan of the midsize or baby Glocks.WRT your first question, I have two G19s and a G23; a P2000 with LEM, with a P30 LEM on stand by; and a Colt Detective Special as a backup for my 642. If anything goes "wrong" with any of my "primaries" or they end up in evidence post shooting, I don't have far to go before I can put an identical or nearly identical weapon back in my holster.

The only things I don't have "spares" of is my one-off, range/safe queens - like my P7M8, 1911, Custom S&W M27 coverted to 45 Colt - and my issued boat anchor - the P229R DAK.

To your second point, there are a surprising number of people who share your opinion (I'm obviously not one of them, based on my collection of G19/23s). In fact, I was in another office on Friday, securing some evidence, talking with another FI who was talking about selling off his personally owned G27 after a couple of years of carry, because "it's just not fun to shoot." He's heck on wheels with any number of pistols, but the 27 has just beaten him down. Likewise, LAV and others have commented on the fairly dramatic performance drop off they experience and/or witness when shooters drop to the mid-size and subcompact Glocks, especially in .40 S&W...

Regards,

Kevin

Big A
01-20-14, 09:16

BTW, I just sold a G19. Not a fan of the midsize or baby Glocks.

I have a G19 as my primary CCW and a G17 for my HD gun so yes, I have a spare if either one stops working. I'm also planning to get a Gen4 G19 later this year.

Just idle curiosity, but what didn't you like about the G19?

I am suprised to see more in favor of dumping the M&P and getting another Glock. Is that because the M&P is a 40 or is there that much disdain for M&P's? I do admit facing another $100 +/- for a trigger upgrade is a bit perplexing.

I personally just don't care for the .40S&W. I've owned a couple and I am issued one but I would rather have 9mm or .45ACP.

I do like the M&P platform but I was already well into Glocks when they came out so it didn't do anything for me better than what I already had.

IMO you should pick one caliber and platform and master it until you're stupid accurate and it becomes intuitive. Get to where you can operate your weapon without having to think about it and then expand your horizons to other pistols and calibers.

I agree on using the money towards ammo. Maybe get a WML or a quality EDC flashlight or other accesories as well if you don't have any of that stuff. I would only get an AR from Gander if they had a Colt or maybe an S&W. I would pass on the stuff from Freedom Group.

SpeedRacer
01-20-14, 09:36
At one point I owned about 12-13 handguns of various makes and models. As I began attending training classes, my outlook on guns completely changed. Currently, I own two Glock 19s. That's it. The rest of my pistols were dumped for mag, ammo and training money.

If you are a collector (which is totally fine as well), buy whatever toys you want and have fun at the range. If you want to take firearms more seriously as a defensive tool, I recommend sticking with one platform and becoming proficient with it.

SteveS
02-27-14, 21:17
Glock 19. I find it best to keep similar platforms ,parts and magazines. If I were to do it all over again I would but 10 of the same platform ,,or 3.

SkiDevil
03-02-14, 22:50
I would agree with the minority opinion in that you should purchase an AR type rifle.

A Colt 6920 or similar BCM M4 carbine would be a good choice.

Does the store have lay-away?

teutonicpolymer
03-02-14, 23:08
I would sell the m&p .40, then buy an ar15 and a police trade in hk usp or german p220/p226. not sure if you can find police trade in p226's anymore but summitgunbroker has p220's and I really want to pick one up personally