PDA

View Full Version : Survival Summit

VooDoo6Actual
01-18-14, 18:32
Don't know if this has been already posted here so if it has just kindly delete.

http://thesurvivalsummit.com
http://theprepperproject.com/claim-free-tickets-survival-summit-jan-20-26th/

I know some of the people involved & there will be some good info to be gleaned from it. Not going to elaborate beyond that.
No one knows it all & nothing better than free.
For some, it will be like drinking from a Fire Hose...

See you there.

levik97
01-18-14, 20:49
I just signed up but I don't know how much I'll get to see due to school. Great idea though!

Levi

lunchbox
01-18-14, 23:35
Oh, I'm all over this. Lots of info from lots of big names, and my most favorite of all- Its free!! Thank you for posting.

R.P.
01-19-14, 06:31
Thanks for sharing.

u_not_i
01-19-14, 07:57
I just signed up but I don't know how much I'll get to see due to school. Great idea though!

Levi
If I remember correctly, they are making at least some of it available for viewing for twenty-four hours.

docsherm
01-19-14, 09:46
It should be interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Tx_Aggie
01-19-14, 10:45
I just registered. Thanks for sharing this.

VooDoo6Actual
01-20-14, 18:21
Yea will let's not speak to soon. I checked out out today was frankly not impressed. Could have way better content imo.

If it works for you so be it. For me, it has not met my expectations at all.

tb-av
01-20-14, 23:20
I'm DLing to watch later but what I saw seemed like an infomercial. I'm sure there is something useful though.

VooDoo6Actual
01-21-14, 09:28
For the time invested it was disappointing & several SME's I work with felt the same. Better stuff on YouTube for free available is how several of us felt.

tb-av
01-21-14, 12:19
I don't know what it is but they are obviously trying to sell the whole deal for $67. That web site design is very popular. I see it everywhere. Same format, same colors, same layout. ... every one of them no matter what they are selling has the same base message.... "This is the secret the pros know. It would cost you a fortune and take you years to learn but I have assembled it here for you for only $50"

VooDoo6Actual
01-21-14, 15:10
I don't know what it is but they are obviously trying to sell the whole deal for $67. That web site design is very popular. I see it everywhere. Same format, same colors, same layout. ... every one of them no matter what they are selling has the same base message.... "This is the secret the pros know. It would cost you a fortune and take you years to learn but I have assembled it here for you for only $50"

I agreed & that was obvious to me. I invested some time into listening & so did a few other I instruct w/. We teach this stuff for real no BS. It was ridiculous we thought & they gave away nothing for the time we had invested. As I said, you could do far better from Cats like "MainePrepper" et al for free, than the namedropping ball sac love fest I heard. Sorry it was a bust, could have been way better.

alienb1212
01-22-14, 04:01
Here's what you do.

Go to survivalsummit.com/live

Open the presentation per-day. Click the video's "YouTube" link.

Cut/paste the Youtube link into http://keepvid.com/ and click "Download"

Save in the format you want on to your local hard drive.

Download VLC from videolan.com if you need something to play the files.
Win

alienb1212
01-22-14, 04:05
...... As I said, you could do far better from Cats like "MainePrepper" et al for free, ......

Yup. Al is fantastic. Can't beat the attitude and his worldview I find extremely similar to my own which helps put a lot of things in perspective.

This survivalsummit shit really seems like yet another group of people willing to capitalize on the currently unprepared who are just now waking up and saying to themselves, "Oh shit, I'm so far behind, what do I do!?"

exkc135driver
01-22-14, 11:41
I learned about the so-called Survival Summit about 6 hours before it began. I thought, "wow,” and immediately signed up. I made a list of which sessions I wanted to listen to. I was pumped up …

What I found was that the sessions are actually recorded telephone interviews of the various presenters. While there are nuggets here and there, most of the information is either basic or painfully obvious (the presentation on how to fortify your home emphasized the importance of locking your doors. Gee, I never thought of that …).

I watched a total of 6 presentations before deciding that I was wasting my time. One of the presentations, by Marjory Wildcraft on locating the perfect survival retreat, was very well done. Perhaps not coincidentally, that was the only presentation which was recorded without the “help” of the interviewer. Unfortunately, things went downhill from there.

Another presentation I, ah, watched was, um, James Hubbard on, um, surviving a, ah, nuclear, you know, event. His presentation was, um, constantly, and I, um, mean constantly, punctuated by “um,” “ah,” and “you know.” No, Dr. Hubbard, I don’t know, because if I did know, I wouldn’t need to watch your presentation.

While this will not matter to some, many of the PowerPoint slides are ungrammatical, are misspelled, or simply use the wrong words. “Deterrents” is not the same as “deterrence.” “Wont” is not the same as “won’t.” “Gama” is not the third letter in the Greek alphabet. The poor quality of the slides serves only to lessen the already-substandard quality of most of the presentations.

Most important, however, is this: many people think, wrongly, that the sole requirement that a good teacher (presenter, lecturer, educator, briefer -- call it what you will) must have is mastery of the subject matter. That is absolutely not true. A professional symposium, which this purports to be, should be presented by people who not only know what they are talking about, but who can present the material in an interesting and engaging way. The individual presentations should be supported by materials (whether videos, handouts, PowerPoint slides, etc.) which have been thoughtfully prepared and proofread before the presentation.

These days we seem to be constantly presented with numbered lists … the 7 habits of successful people, 20 things to never do after you’re 50, etc. So in that spirit, here are 4 rules (pay attention!! These are the four must-know secret rules which will improve your presentations, increase your sexual stamina, cure cancer, and make your Glock obsolete!!! I normally sell these rules for the low price of $99.00, but because I’m such a nice guy I’m giving them to you today for absolutely free!!) for internet presentations:

1. Present your own material. Hey, Mr. Producer, I want to hear from the expert, not you and not some interviewer! The expert knows what he wants to say, so I want him (or her) -- not you! -- to control the presentation.
2. Be prepared. Know what you, um, are going to, ah, say, and maybe, um, practice it beforehand, you know?
3. Don’t misrepresent the visual aids. As someone else noted, “the term ‘video’, means VIDEO, not slide show. I could get this kind of experience listening to a podcast.”
4. If the material is prerecorded, listen to it before airtime. If the sound quality stinks, fix it. If the slides have issues, fix them. If you want to be professional, then be professional.

As we used to say back in the day, remember the 6 P’s -- Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

Maybe they’ll do it right next time.

tb-av
01-22-14, 13:31
@exkc135driver --- Amen x 10,000..

I was watching a video the other day, not of that series, but a YT video. The guy actually knew what he was talking about and pretty easy to follow but I swear I was sitting there telling myself if smacks his lips or says 'um' one more time, I'm going to throw my computer out the window. There are a lot of people out there that need to go to NPR editing school. I watched a guy review a radio and I can't remember how long was devoted to taking it out of the box, just a little shirt pocket radio, but the whole video was several minutes long and he never turned the radio on!

lunchbox
01-23-14, 11:08
Agree with mentions above, info wasn't bad just kind of watered down. Had a lot of potential but fell short. Still thankful for heads up and link tho, is way better than crap on TV any given night.... Damn I can't wait for Walking Deads new season.

docsherm
01-23-14, 12:26
I just wish the sections were shorter. Cut to the point because I do not have the time to sit and watch all of that.

Koshinn
01-23-14, 14:04
I learned about the so-called Survival Summit about 6 hours before it began. I thought, "wow,” and immediately signed up. I made a list of which sessions I wanted to listen to. I was pumped up …

What I found was that the sessions are actually recorded telephone interviews of the various presenters. While there are nuggets here and there, most of the information is either basic or painfully obvious (the presentation on how to fortify your home emphasized the importance of locking your doors. Gee, I never thought of that …).

I watched a total of 6 presentations before deciding that I was wasting my time. One of the presentations, by Marjory Wildcraft on locating the perfect survival retreat, was very well done. Perhaps not coincidentally, that was the only presentation which was recorded without the “help” of the interviewer. Unfortunately, things went downhill from there.

Another presentation I, ah, watched was, um, James Hubbard on, um, surviving a, ah, nuclear, you know, event. His presentation was, um, constantly, and I, um, mean constantly, punctuated by “um,” “ah,” and “you know.” No, Dr. Hubbard, I don’t know, because if I did know, I wouldn’t need to watch your presentation.

While this will not matter to some, many of the PowerPoint slides are ungrammatical, are misspelled, or simply use the wrong words. “Deterrents” is not the same as “deterrence.” “Wont” is not the same as “won’t.” “Gama” is not the third letter in the Greek alphabet. The poor quality of the slides serves only to lessen the already-substandard quality of most of the presentations.

Most important, however, is this: many people think, wrongly, that the sole requirement that a good teacher (presenter, lecturer, educator, briefer -- call it what you will) must have is mastery of the subject matter. That is absolutely not true. A professional symposium, which this purports to be, should be presented by people who not only know what they are talking about, but who can present the material in an interesting and engaging way. The individual presentations should be supported by materials (whether videos, handouts, PowerPoint slides, etc.) which have been thoughtfully prepared and proofread before the presentation.

These days we seem to be constantly presented with numbered lists … the 7 habits of successful people, 20 things to never do after you’re 50, etc. So in that spirit, here are 4 rules (pay attention!! These are the four must-know secret rules which will improve your presentations, increase your sexual stamina, cure cancer, and make your Glock obsolete!!! I normally sell these rules for the low price of $99.00, but because I’m such a nice guy I’m giving them to you today for absolutely free!!) for internet presentations:

1. Present your own material. Hey, Mr. Producer, I want to hear from the expert, not you and not some interviewer! The expert knows what he wants to say, so I want him (or her) -- not you! -- to control the presentation.
2. Be prepared. Know what you, um, are going to, ah, say, and maybe, um, practice it beforehand, you know?
3. Don’t misrepresent the visual aids. As someone else noted, “the term ‘video’, means VIDEO, not slide show. I could get this kind of experience listening to a podcast.”
4. If the material is prerecorded, listen to it before airtime. If the sound quality stinks, fix it. If the slides have issues, fix them. If you want to be professional, then be professional.

As we used to say back in the day, remember the 6 P’s -- Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

Maybe they’ll do it right next time.

My thoughts exactly. If there's one thing the USAF does well, it's power point presentations. Second is air power.

docsherm
01-23-14, 14:34
If there's one thing the USAF does well, it's power point presentations. Second is air power.

That is some funny Stuff !!!!!!!:jester: .........but very true.

exkc135driver
01-23-14, 15:01
My thoughts exactly. If there's one thing the USAF does well, it's power point presentations. Second is air power.

That wasn't true back in my day, when we worried mostly about the Soviets, as PowerPoint didn't exist. But in a post-SAC USAF, political correctness and "management" skills have become even more important than they used to be. So now they're mishandling nuclear weapons (the Minot-Barksdale oopsie a few years ago) and falling asleep in missile launch facilities. What're they going to do next, lose a nuke? It's happened before. (But if they do, it will be very professionally briefed.)

Koshinn
01-23-14, 15:36
But if they do, it will be very professionally briefed.

It'll be a captivating brief with few-to-no speech fillers, excellent intonation and eye contact, perfect use of slides as visual aids rather than a replacement for the briefer, and a flowing structure in which the briefee is told what he is going to be told, is told, then is told what he was just told. And the brief will be completed +/- 30 seconds of the alloted time to allow for questions and to give you a chance to recover and wipe away the tears of joy after having witnessed the beauty of a USAF brief.

If PowerPoint existed in the Cold War, the Soviet Union would have collapsed at least a decade earlier.

I've been downloading the videos from the Summit so I can watch them later. I scrubbed through a couple of them and was saddened by the poor audio quality and lack of any real "video" besides slides, although I guess the format is actually a seminar rather than a video series so it makes sense.

hatidua
01-25-14, 22:27
Survival Summit seemed to have relied on packaging rather than content and with the current interest in all things "prepping", all they had to do was call it "Survival Summit". I was disappointed (bored) with the content.

VooDoo6Actual
01-25-14, 23:27
Psst,

OK I'll give you a good one for free way better than Survival Summit did.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?146535-Ammo-Can-Stove

This Bad Boy beats out my Kifaru Para & Small Stove, 1950 Yukon, Volcano, Solo Stove & those are some of the best ever. It weighs more true, but this KIT is far more durable & radiates more heat.
Very well thought out piece of kit. The radiant heat it generates is enough for a small house say 1,000 Sq.Ft. Any Organic / Bio-mass will work.
I recommend the heat Shield / Baffle for extended durability. You will need it for day to day usage.
I bought two.
People who think they are going to run white gas, iso butane, propane, diesel et al for extended periods are not being real.