PDA

View Full Version : Numyth Vulcan Fire Piston

VooDoo6Actual
01-18-14, 20:31
Numyth Vulcan Fire Piston
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZAAcclR5Y

ra2bach
01-19-14, 23:02
I had one of those. but it started dieseling...

:sarcastic:

VooDoo6Actual
01-20-14, 09:09
I had one of those. but it started dieseling...

:sarcastic:

OH yeah need that humor in these times ...

Good one..

Retarded timing ?

JR3
01-25-14, 09:05
The fire piston, in all it's variations, has bee a viable fire starting tool for over 200 years. I would say 200 years makes the concept very proven. With updated materials like the above, how could you go wrong. The only issue I would have, and I don't think its a deal breaker, is the o-rings. But, with that said, o-rings can be scrounged and scavenge from a multitude of places.

I have never used the above, but I am going to purchase one and give it a go. I like it.

taliv
03-09-14, 21:43
do you guys think fire pistons are worth the weight, compared to other fire starting tools?

SurplusShooter
03-09-14, 23:13
The fire piston, in all it's variations, has bee a viable fire starting tool for over 200 years. I would say 200 years makes the concept very proven.

I wasn't there when it was first invented, but it's a safe bet that Flint strikers or Firesteel have been around Even Longer, and are an even better and more proven fire starting technology.

VooDoo6Actual
03-10-14, 10:48
do you guys think fire pistons are worth the weight, compared to other fire starting tools?

I think the Exotac Nano Stryker or Strike Force are better tools or choices. I have used & tested most out there & used multiple times in Rain, Snow et al weather conditions for the money, size, weight ease of use.

I can't recall times (like 8 or so) I have demonstrated to other Pro Survival instructors time & time again who swear by Char-Cloth & Fire Pistons that this is faster, easier & a lot simpler than the "Bird's Nest" w/ Cotton & Vaseline or "Bag Balm" etc. They now use the Nano Stryker or similar. True story.

Here's a demo where he shows you some good realities etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX1FteUKxlE

taliv
03-10-14, 11:30
interesting, thanks

i just use something like this (not exactly this, but very close), which is very light weight and cheap and simple. i've always wanted a fire piston, but just haven't been able to convince myself to haul it around
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/security2020/secpro-swedish-fire-starter-ferro-rod-striker-2.jpg

ra2bach
03-10-14, 13:58

I personally don't. for the weight of this tool, I can carry a magnifying lens, a BIC lighter, AND a firesteel. the fire piston is very reliant on the quality and moisture content of the tinder/charcloth which any of these other tools is less so. I put it into the category of gimmick. I think it's a cool demonstration of the power of compression however...

VooDoo6Actual
03-10-14, 14:56
interesting, thanks

i just use something like this (not exactly this, but very close), which is very light weight and cheap and simple. i've always wanted a fire piston, but just haven't been able to convince myself to haul it around
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/security2020/secpro-swedish-fire-starter-ferro-rod-striker-2.jpg

Yep those work just fine have about 4 of em as backup along with 7 Solar Blankets now. lol

JR3
03-10-14, 19:56
I tried one (not the one above) that belonged to a friend. I'm not convinced that is the way to go. In fact I didn't like it at all. A good ferro rod and properly made thin shavings from wood will do just fine. It's all about the prep. Practice is the key like with anything else. I try to make fire in every condition I can. In the dark, rain, snow etc. Practice is the only way to get it right when you need to get it right. Think sustainment when dealing with fire making materials. Eventually in a long term situation ferro rods, lighters, matches all run out. Also check Mors Mochanski at Karamat Wilderness Ways and at 4 Dogs Stoves on youtube. He is the master. Sorry for the ramble.

VooDoo6Actual
03-10-14, 21:04
I tried one (not the one above) that belonged to a friend. I'm not convinced that is the way to go. In fact I didn't like it at all. A good ferro rod and properly made thin shavings from wood will do just fine. It's all about the prep. Practice is the key like with anything else. I try to make fire in every condition I can. In the dark, rain, snow etc. Practice is the only way to get it right when you need to get it right. Think sustainment when dealing with fire making materials. Eventually in a long term situation ferro rods, lighters, matches all run out. Also check Mors Mochanski at Karamat Wilderness Ways and at 4 Dogs Stoves on youtube. He is the master. Sorry for the ramble.

Good stuff JR3 & solid copy. I like 4 Dog Stoves but the prices ($600-$845+) & the wall thickness of the "Ti" (12 lbs) was a long term issue for daily use. His product is great but expensive vs. daily use for years....Same issues w/ Kifaru Stoves over long term use. His steel stoves are good value but the weight (two Dog DX is 38 lbs to 5 Dog DX camp stove is 75 lbs) I'm not saying they don't work good because they do work good. BUT daily continuous use, will show the wall thickness deficiencies / inadequacies. They don't break down flat is another consideration.

Here's Riley Camp Stoves & know some USFS types that use em. But in sustained daily use they burn out bottom & sides. Good price point however.
http://www.rileycampstoves.com/outdoorwoodstoves.html

OAN, I have tell other's (I know you know JR3 because we know each other from years of interaction elsewhere etc.) Making a birds nest w/ my hands freakin frozen in austere weather conditions on top of getting the spark on the char cloth etc. is not fun when you shivering & get the auto kinematic shakes while hoping "this the one"... Easier in austere or wet conditions w/ wet fire / Vaseline soaked cotton etc. It's a great ritual in to celebrate "fire" from a spark on char cloth into a bird's nest in nicer weather conditions but when I'm cold & hungry I'll pass & conserve my calories & energy thx.

taliv
03-10-14, 21:33
Eventually in a long term situation ferro rods, lighters, matches all run out.

crazy thought here... not claiming it is better than anything above or a calorie saver... just wondering if a spiral ratchet screwdriver could be used to to generate enough friction to start a fire. like rubbing sticks together, except you bring a steel one with you that has a knurled end as close as you could machine to sandpaper, and that doesn't wear out.

JR3
03-11-14, 06:23
Good stuff JR3 & solid copy. I like 4 Dog Stoves but the prices ($600-$845+) & the wall thickness of the "Ti" (12 lbs) was a long term issue for daily use. His product is great but expensive vs. daily use for years....Same issues w/ Kifaru Stoves over long term use. His steel stoves are good value but the weight (two Dog DX is 38 lbs to 5 Dog DX camp stove is 75 lbs) I'm not saying they don't work good because they do work good. BUT daily continuous use, will show the wall thickness deficiencies / inadequacies. They don't break down flat is another consideration.

Here's Riley Camp Stoves & know some USFS types that use em. But in sustained daily use they burn out bottom & sides. Good price point however.
http://www.rileycampstoves.com/outdoorwoodstoves.html

OAN, I have tell other's (I know you know JR3 because we know each other from years of interaction elsewhere etc.) Making a birds nest w/ my hands freakin frozen in austere weather conditions on top of getting the spark on the char cloth etc. is not fun when you shivering & get the auto kinematic shakes while hoping "this the one"... Easier in austere or wet conditions w/ wet fire / Vaseline soaked cotton etc. It's a great ritual in to celebrate "fire" from a spark on char cloth into a bird's nest in nicer weather conditions but when I'm cold & hungry I'll pass & conserve my calories & energy thx.

Voodoo,

Totally with you on the wet fire/Vaseline cotton. It just plain works and is a life saver in an emergent situation. A resin rich chunk of fat wood or pine nots can work equally well, but again takes a little more time to prep than the above if not done so ahead of time. I have even sliced a little rubber from my boot sole. All it takes is a small piece.

Thanks for the link on stoves. That one you designed in the other thread is trick. Very well done.

VooDoo6Actual
03-11-14, 08:44
Voodoo,

Totally with you on the wet fire/Vaseline cotton. It just plain works and is a life saver in an emergent situation. A resin rich chunk of fat wood or pine nots can work equally well, but again takes a little more time to prep than the above if not done so ahead of time. I have even sliced a little rubber from my boot sole. All it takes is a small piece.

Thanks for the link on stoves. That one you designed in the other thread is trick. Very well done.

Yea good suggestion forgot to add "Pitch Bark". Boot rubber works, even used belly button lint & tiny cotton balls that accumulate from pants in crotch for that matter. LOL.

Thx for words on stove. Not worried about marketing yet. Too many other priorities for now. But it does work very well & flattens out. It is built for daily use which as I said was a problem w/ the other's I t&e'd. Have to refine door latching mechanism but rest is there & TIG welds are strong & won't pop or shift under heat. Pop rivets won't work under day to day use, ask me how I know ;-/. Weight is problem @ 18 lbs but in a 3 man field OP it's not too bad to distribute loads. "Ti" has issues, while it save weight is poor radiant heater & expensive.

JR3
03-11-14, 18:12
I butchered ol' Mors' last name. It is Kochanski not the other. All thumbs typing on a smart phone.

A while back I stumbled upon a fire starter that is probably the finest in its class. Big enough to hold onto With freezing hands, inexpensive for what you get and easy to use.

People will look at these and think "Doans" mag bar or even the tons of cheap Chinese copy's that are everywhere. You know rectangle mag bar with the tiny strip off ferro rod imbedded. The magnesium is hard as hell to scrape and the ferro rod last about 20 good strikes and you are left with a large chunk of magnesium and no striking material. Very frustrating and I swore them off long ago.

These are not them, In fact, they are absolutely everything the above is not. They work twenty times better than the best magnesium bars we were using back in the day.

Check them out at www.survivalfire.com

You can get different sizes. But they all posses the finest materials. The ferro rods are the same as the Light My Fire, which are generally more expensive as they are of very high European quality (and arguably work better than mischmetal rods for some). On H60 and P60 the ferro rod is 3/8 thick for many thousands of strikes.

The magnesium is super soft, and shaves off with very little effort making a pile in just a few seconds.

The hard wood (made of padauk) handle can also be scraped for tinder as well and lights with a strike.

The H60 is an incredible value and will last a long, long time.

Voodoo-
We do go back a stretch don't we. I still have one your old "Bushido" biz cards. 98' or 99 ish?