PDA

View Full Version : why not?

m4brian
01-19-14, 17:01
BLUF: why doesn't some company do the "BCM thing" in the AK world. There are several suppliers of CHF barrels available. The receiver is not rocket science - someone knows metallurgy. This removes the largest objections to US guns. Then build away. Or is there not enough market and importable kits to do the rest vice just find imports?

It looks like Magpul may justt do the impossible and put steel in american made AK mag feed lips! Who knows what could happen!

KalashniKEV
01-19-14, 18:20
Because despite the current bump in AK prices from US distributors, there are still enough real, CHF barrel kit guns and SARs out there that you can usually find a good deal.

Basically, not everyone knows that their $289 SAR-1 is worth $800 now... and I can still put together a kit for ~$275 with stashed part and receivers from the golden days.

It would be like if BCM was competing with their current price schedule against 10+ years of $350 Colts.

Walleye
01-21-14, 10:09
Arsenal doesn't count?

m4brian
01-21-14, 13:14
I'm talking about different. This could be transitional. Start with kits BUT CHF barrels (evidently some have tried). Master the receiver. I've heard negative comments by the experts here on US receivers, and likely for good reason - but it can be perfected. Knowledge can be bought. Buy up all the hardware for cheap - learn. Then make more and more stuff in house, and take away the need for kits, surplus. Eventually do the "all-American" AK. No traditional US manufacturer will do this as the gun is too 'evil'. Make a classic line and competition line, etc. But don't charge $2K.

Roc_Kor
01-21-14, 19:01
Just my opinion, as an AK guy:

I don't think there are enough "serious AK shooters" or shooters dissatisfied with the current market (let alone people who fall into BOTH groups) to warrant such a tremendous expense to find a way to perfect a platform that the Bulgarians and Russians have arguably perfected (in its current form), just for the sake of calling it American made.

Most AK shooters probably have an AK just to have one and shoot it casually, and therefore are served by the Century and IO's of the world.

Your AK shooters that are serious enough about the platform probably either have an Arsenal and are satisfied or have had Krebs or Rifle Dynamics make them something that satisfies their taste.

Of my large group of shooting friends (of various social, economic, and shooting-discipline backgrounds), I'm the only one whose AK can even considered as a (let alone THE) go-to rifle, and am the only one remotely serious about the platform itself.

m4brian
01-22-14, 06:34
Roc Kor - likley right - the market is too small.