PDA

View Full Version : Sig Armorer course

cwgibson
01-19-14, 21:13
I couldn't find any info using my search fu; which is unusual for me on this site. I was wondering if anyone here has taken this and had any feedback. There is one of their classic pistol classes coming to my area in April and I was hoping to take it if I got some positive feedback. I know they (sigs) aren't as popular here as some semi autos but I have had good luck with my p228 and would like to work towards a more active career in firearms. I don't expect a full time job from this class, but would like for it to perhaps be an entry point into such a role at some point in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gunnut284
01-19-14, 23:24
It's a good class if you want to know how to take apart and put back together Sigs.

RWH24
01-20-14, 00:28
Yes it is, tear em down and put em back together. Now, Tear em down and put all the pieces in the big box, everybody.

Now come up to the Big box, gather your parts and rebuild a pistol, bring it to the front and show me a function check!

Not that simple, you learn which way to hold your mouth in a couple of parts inserting. :blink::secret::help:

cwgibson
01-20-14, 08:42
Thanks guys I'm looking forward to the experience. I just hope I don't end up with extra pieces!:confused:

Surf
01-20-14, 13:30
If you want to do this related to anything professional it is a good thing to do, no different than any other armorer course. You get support from the manufacturer and a good working knowledge of the weapon, parts, maintenance schedules, troubleshooting, etc... Remember that armorers are basically trained to be able to troubleshoot, fix or maintain the weapons in original manufacturer specifications. By no means does that equate to gunsmithing but factory armorer courses are a great foundation which again allows for manufacturer support. I will note that the Sig Sauer as an example compared to say the Glock is a bit more complex.

If you have any more specific questions about the course itself I can answer them for you.

cwgibson
01-20-14, 18:50
I really enjoy troubleshooting! I love someone bringing me their computer and trying to figure out what's wrong with it. I'm sure I would find the challenge of figuring out what's wrong with a firearm just as enjoyable. Thanks for the info. I would probably prefer starting with a simpler firearm like a glock, but from what I have been told you have to be a LEO or work at a dealer to attend their classes. I hope to take their class if I can get a part time job after the Sig class. I have also noticed Iraqgunz has offered a class here in Georgia in the past and would love to take the AR class next time he comes to town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bigun
01-20-14, 20:33
I took the SIG classic series course along with the Beretta 92 series course at Brownells in Montezuma Iowa. Good courses that have come in handy.

10-76
01-21-14, 06:37
Yeah, not sure if they are open to the general public? I took it a couple of years ago with a group of fellow LE/MIL guys and it was rockin with Instructor Carroll. If you go you will find out how/why the 226 platforms were developed for/by some of our real deal guys in the field, develop a knowledge of the different platforms and what parts are interchangeable upgrades, etc..

I had shopped around for a TO 226, found them to be crazy expensive even with the LEO discount. Found a batch of trade-ins online, refurbed some with spring kits and SRTs, and they're like new pistols. 16 hours and IIRC it was around 325 for the 2 day class, needing to pass the test.

It's IMO better than the Glock system of doing a Basic class, then separately doing the AAC class: seems to be rigged to be an income generator rather than a teacher. Now, most of the Glock AAC classes are only in Smyrna.

cwgibson
03-21-14, 16:18
Just thought I would give an update on this. I took my class and enjoyed it very much. We learned how to work both the SA/DA traditional style and the DAK system. I ran pretty much middle of the pack (25 students) as far as disassembly/reassembly time went. I was proud that I was one of the few that didn't lose any of their springs while working on the guns. Being my first course of any kind I didn't realize that so many springs would be flying around the room. I have always liked sig even though they don't get much love here on M4C and a P227 may just be my next purchase.

Bigun
03-21-14, 19:16
Yes it is, tear em down and put em back together. Now, Tear em down and put all the pieces in the big box, everybody.

Now come up to the Big box, gather your parts and rebuild a pistol, bring it to the front and show me a function check!

Not that simple, you learn which way to hold your mouth in a couple of parts inserting. :blink::secret::help: This LOL

RWH24
03-21-14, 19:44
I didn't lose anything in Sig Armorers classes, but the COLT guy was about to start charging me for springs and detent balls in the M16/M4 Armorers class.

I brought a magnet to class the second day, swept the floor and found my missing parts along with several others. I was forgiven.

Symmetry
03-21-14, 19:52
Just make sure that you reinstall the plunger in the magazine release the right way. ;)

RWH24
03-21-14, 20:01
Just make sure that you reinstall the plunger in the magazine release the right way. ;)
If NOT!!!!! You ruin a frame.:moil: :suicide:

cwgibson
03-21-14, 20:21

I saw one of those get some good distance flying across the room!

RWH24
03-21-14, 20:27
I saw one of those get some good distance flying across the room!
I saw the air in the room turn BLUE once!

cwgibson
03-21-14, 21:26
The range it was held at is outdoors and the owner is having to fight some new neighbors in court over the noise. I can't believe you wouldn't think of these things before you buy a house.

cwgibson
03-22-14, 21:09
Do any of you prefer the DAK over the DA/SA?

RWH24
03-22-14, 21:36
I have shot both as duty weapons. While I like having the SA for precision shots, the DAK trigger stacked like a S&W revolver and could take precision shots with it. It took me lots of rounds to be as precise in DA mode as SA. My current retired Sig 226 and 239 are DA/SA 9mm's. Both are well broken in and have smooth DA pulls.
For day to day ops, I would choose the Sig DAK.

ST911
03-22-14, 21:48

I've shot DAKs, mostly 229s in 40 and .357SIG. I wouldn't use one voluntarily, and prefer a TDA or true-DAO.

Symmetry
03-22-14, 21:50

I don't have a lot of experience with the DAK, but from I have used of it I find the DA/SA to be a better combination of speed and accuracy. The longer the pull, the longer you have to maintain a solid sight picture which becomes difficult under diverse and stressful conditions. Yes, the initial DA pull requires a patient, steady hand while keeping your sight picture throughout the pull.....but the follow up SA shots are a breeze.

All that being said, I do think that a consistent, single condition trigger with a relatively short length of pull is the way to go as a whole. That tends to be the direction of many striker fired guns these days that maintain a half-cocked position, keeping a shorter pull than DA, but maintaining a degree of safety better than a SA.

Bigun
03-22-14, 22:10
I carried a 229DAK for a couple of years as a duty gun, I personally didnt have a problem with it and carried a 220DAK Carry off duty. Liked them both a lot.

Surf
03-22-14, 23:42
I don't like the DAK and would opt for the DA/SA over it. However the SAO is my preference. DA/SA and DAK will probably remain forever for those who are so ingrained, however the SAO is starting to dominate the Sig line up and for good reason.

Psalms144.1
03-23-14, 08:56
I'm a graduate of the Sig Armorer's course myself, and the only thing I can say is I'm VERY glad I don't have to work on those pistols on a daily basis. I love firearms and everything about them, but getting all the parts & pieces back where they belong in a Sig can be "sporting" as my British friends say.

WRT DAK versus DA/SA, we're issued DAK pistols (choice of P229R or P239, both in .40), and I'm rapidly approaching the point of just sending mine back to the HQ armory. I was previously issued a P228, and happily carried a P226 and P239 personal weapons, but I wouldn't carry the DAK in harms way for love or money. I even offered to buy the parts to convert my issued P229R back to DA/SA out of my own money, but the HQ armorers said that's a no-go...

cwgibson
03-23-14, 12:14
I don't like the DAK and would opt for the DA/SA over it. However the SAO is my preference. DA/SA and DAK will probably remain forever for those who are so ingrained, however the SAO is starting to dominate the Sig line up and for good reason.

How do you like the manual safety compared to others out there? We didn't work with those at all, but a P220 SAO might be something I would purchase.

Surf
03-23-14, 12:42
How do you like the manual safety compared to others out there? We didn't work with those at all, but a P220 SAO might be something I would purchase.Its not bad but it could stand improvement. I am used to a 1911 so the theory of the safety translates. However the safety is a bit close to the slide stop and those with smaller hands or shorter fingers might need to alter their grip a bit to get to the slide stop, if as a right hander you like to use your primary shooting hands thumb to release the slide. If you go to larger aftermarket grips this can magnify the reach problem. I am the type where I don't like to alter my grip to hit a magazine release or a slide stop. No flipping of the weapon is my preference. However if you do not use the slide stop as a release or if you use your support hand to release the slide (as a right hander) this is not an issue at all. There is also an internal modification that allows the slide to cycle even when the weapon is on safe. This might allow for press checking or other manipulations where the pistol will not fire but the slide can cycle.

RWH24
03-23-14, 12:45
I wouldn't carry the DAK in harms way for love or money
?? Why Not?? I am confused as to why not...

Surf
03-23-14, 12:47
I'm a graduate of the Sig Armorer's course myself, and the only thing I can say is I'm VERY glad I don't have to work on those pistols on a daily basis. I love firearms and everything about them, but getting all the parts & pieces back where they belong in a Sig can be "sporting" as my British friends say.
If you did work on them daily it would be like anything else. I do it quite often with my primary job and I am an adjunct for Sig and can teach the classic line armorer course, however I will be the first to admit that working on say a Glock is a lot less time consuming. ;)