PDA

View Full Version : M&P15a, $800 blue label price, seems like a steal?

Mike169
01-20-14, 07:14
This weapon has a 16" 4140 chrome lined barrel, chrome lines bcg (unsure if it's a FA bcg or not, but my previous m&p15 was), flat top upper with fixed front and flip down read sight and comes with a 30rd pmag. Is it even possible to buy all the parts for this price (I do have a spare lower).

DarkTemplars
01-20-14, 09:32
It will depend on how valuable your time is to you.

If you like the set up and don't want to go through the time of locating everything you'll need and then assembling them, its a good deal.

Big A
01-20-14, 10:04
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/shoppingcart.asp

To get everything you need for an upper from BCM it came out to $766

At $800 for a complete S&W rifle, why wouldn't you?

walkin' trails
01-20-14, 10:11
I'm by no means an authority on M&P 15s, but was under the impression the only M&P w/o the FA was the Sport. It also didn't have the chrome lines bore. Neverthless, $800 is not a bad price and I've heard the M&P generally hold up well. If not, S&W's lifetime warranty is great.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

S. Kelly
01-20-14, 10:45
Now's the time to buy. At some point in the future, the prices will spike up again, and $800 seems like a very good price.

Mike169
01-20-14, 10:53
Thanks guys, kinda confirmed what I was already feeling. Another thing I always have to factor in is that I don't yet own the tools to build my own rifle. Not that I particularly have a problem with buying tools and I know they would serve many purposes in the future, but it still drives my starting point up $100-200.

I'm going to go snag it tomorrow.

Javelin
01-20-14, 11:25
$800 is still a good chunk of money. I would pass on the mp15... Get a BCM or Colt. In 3 years it won't matter that you spent $250 more or whatever.

chupa88
01-20-14, 11:35
This is a discontinued model right? $800 is a good price for a complete rifle if you don't mind that it's a discontinued rifle. Yes, I think BCM is a better rifle but the M&Ps are not bad by any means.

Kain
01-20-14, 12:27
Not sure what model you are looking at exactly, though if the barrel is chrome lined then it is an older model that I don't think they make anymore since as far as I know all their barrels are melonited. Also, I doubt they have FA BCGs. That said, after my friend bought a smith AR a couple years ago I am decidedly unimpressed with them(Another story for another time) and would much prefer to spend the extra and buy the BCM. As far as pricing, not even really shopping around on pricing and not going bottom of barrel, but basic Middy LW build from Rainier, figuring $150 on a standard lower, comes to about $1000. And that is with BCM upper, BCG, and stag/cmt LPK and stock set. If you were inclined you could shave some cost off that I am sure.

All that said, it is your money, and more to the point it should also depend on what you are doing with the rifle. If primary spend the extra and buy something better in my opinion. If you are looking at it as an investment to sell during the next panic then grab it. They are going up since if it is the model I am thinking of CDNN had them for $699 about two or three years ago.

Mike169
01-20-14, 12:50
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with yours, I had a great experience with my former m&p15t, I kick myself for selling it. That rifle definitely had a chrome lined barrel and FA BCG and was a smooth and soft shooter. I will certainly peep this one before I buy it, but I'd imagine this gun will meet my needs, which is as a primary patrol rifle and the base for future modification to an SBR in either 5.56 or 300blk..

Redbeardsong
01-20-14, 12:54
The M&P15A is a fine rifle for $800. It has a 4140 Chrome-lined barrel, chamber and gas key. MPI bolt, Semi-auto BCG, 7075 forged receivers, mil-spec buffer tube, Troy flip-up rear sight.

It is a solid and reliable patrol rifle. The model was discontinued last year. Currently, most of Smith's rifles still have chrome lined barrels except for the MOE mid, Sport, M&P15T (811041) and the VTACII. None of them have Full auto bolt carriers.

Mike169
01-20-14, 13:58
It's sad that the t doesn't have a FA bcg any longer, I can assure you the one I owned had one.

Breacher 217
01-20-14, 14:31
Last time I checked LE pricing was $907 for a Colt 6920. I'd spend the extra money on a Colt, BCM or DD.

Mike169
01-20-14, 14:50
Last time I checked LE pricing was $907 for a Colt 6920. I'd spend the extra money on a Colt, BCM or DD.

I hear a lot of people say this vague line, but no one has yet been able to say specially why they would chose the latter over the former. Bearing in mind that it's highly unlikely that I'll shoot 50,000+ rounds through my rifle, nor will I be doing 1000 yard precision shooting, I'd bet that the extra money would be wasted.

Breacher 217
01-20-14, 14:53
You can blow $100 at a bar on a Friday night. Why not spend the extra $107 on the colt. It will retain it's value better than the M&P if you ever need to move it or get greedy the next time prices spike.

JoePike
01-20-14, 15:59
Just to add confusion the sport I owned had a FA BCG. I've been impressed by every S&W I've shot. I doubt you can do better for $800.

Iraqgunz
01-20-14, 16:08
Buy it or don't buy it. Seems like you have already formed an opinion and are seeking some validation.