PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about picking a .22 revolver

montanadave
01-20-14, 13:03
I had a Ruger Single-Six years ago but my ex-wife seems to have made off with it. Now I'm looking at the current choices and I'm waffling between the S&W Model 617 and the Ruger Single-Ten. Kind of prefer to stick with either S&W or Ruger as the revolvers I already own are in one of those two camps. Sole purpose is for plinking and target shooting. I realize the Ruger is single action and I do like the double action flexibility of the S&W.

Anyone have thoughts, opinions, recommendations in this department?

Kain
01-20-14, 13:09
Not much experience with the Smith revolvers, but something to consider with the Ruger, with the Single Six you can get the model with the two cylinders letting you shoot 22 magnums and giving you more flexibility in plinking as well as more power if you were to decide to use it for small game or just to make more noise at the range.

gunnut284
01-20-14, 13:36
I have a 617 (and a Model 18) and would highly recommend them. The Single Six is also nice but I prefer the double action style for the modern features. The SP101 is also appealing for a somewhat smaller gun but the 617 would be better for plinking and target shooting.

T2C
01-20-14, 13:39
I purchased a Ruger Single 6 with both LR and Magnum cylinders. It is a pleasure to shoot, but now I wish I had spent an extra $300 and purchased a Smith & Wesson double action revolver.

b_saan
01-20-14, 14:11
Really like my S&W 317 kit gun, it's light and easy to shoot. They're a little hard to find but really fun for a .22 revolver, the wife likes to shoot it as well.

SeriousStudent
01-20-14, 22:01
I'd love to have a S&W 317 also.

Honestly, I'm hunting for a S&W 43C. I know it sort of falls outside your parameters a bit, Dave. But do you ever carry a J-Frame as a backup? The neat thing about a 43C is that it can allow you cheap practice for that as well. After talking with someone that owns one, they found it fairly accurate for plinking, too.

Just a thought. I'll be interested in what you end up with.

Ttwwaack
01-22-14, 10:04
I opted for the 617 and found a pre-lock version at the show for a song and a dance. I also have a 6" Colt Diamondback but those are getting pretty collectable now but are still available.

T2C
01-22-14, 17:40
I saw a Ruger SP101 in .22LR at the local gun shop today. I think that would be a better choice than the Ruger Single 6 for most of us who do not shoot SASS matches.

tgizzard
01-22-14, 18:47
I owned a single six with the .22 long and magnum cylinders, I loved it! Though I recently sold it. BUT, If I were to buy another .22 revolver I'd pick up another ruger single six.

qsy
01-22-14, 19:39
I have no experience with the 617, but I picked up a Model 18 (K frame .22) about 30 years ago and it is a joy to shoot. If you enjoy revolvers you really want have a double action .22.

montanadave
01-22-14, 22:11
Forgot about the SP101 in .22LR. I'd like to compare the SP101 and the 617 side by side.

Frailer
01-22-14, 22:59
The K-frame .22s are *great* guns, but IMHO there's nothing quite like a Model 63.

TunaFisherman
01-23-14, 00:10
I picked a Ruger Single Ten up few weeks ago. So far I am in love. Good trigger. And lots of fun plinking.

walkin' trails
01-23-14, 19:44
I have a Model 18 and a 34. The 34 has trained both my sons. The 18 I've had for close to 30 years. You can't go wrong with a S&W 22 revolver.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

CDR_Glock
01-24-14, 20:22
I'm a S&W fan, myself. However, I saw a convertible 22LR/WMR Taurus Tracker 992 and bought it. 6.5" barrel. Stainless 9 rounds.

T2C
01-24-14, 21:07
I'm a S&W fan, myself. However, I saw a convertible 22LR/WMR Taurus Tracker 992 and bought it. 6.5" barrel. Stainless 9 rounds.

How is the Taurus holding up? How many rounds have you fired through it?

CDR_Glock
01-24-14, 21:39
How is the Taurus holding up? How many rounds have you fired through it?

I am going to the range on Sunday. I just picked it up last Sunday.

I've been a Revolver snob for a long time, only getting Pythons and Smith and Wessons. However, for the versatility it was worth trying one out. I wanted a DA/SA revolver and many 22's come predominantly in SA cowboy style revolvers. When I saw how easy it was to change from 22 LR to WMR, checked the feel of the trigger, and looked at how the timing operated, I decided Why not.

It will be a little while before I get a lot of ammo in 22 WMR through it. That round is intended for hunting, mainly. I have a lot of 22 LR to see how it does with that.

Taurus has received a lot of negative reviews, and that was a cause for hesitation. My other Taurus (a 605 357 ported 5 round Snubby) is from 1994 and I've never had a problem with it. I never met someone firsthand who had an issue with their revolvers. Worst case scenario is I sell it off or trade it. I'm optimistic it will work out fine for me.

I do not care for their semiautomatics except for their PT-92. But, I only have a Beretta 92 FS INOX in that style of pistol.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/26/ge7u8aga.jpg

I put Hogue Monogrips on my 992 Tracker. Love them compared to the Ribber.

The Ribber is just too bizarre for me.

hatidua
01-25-14, 22:37
I had a Ruger Single-Six years ago but my ex-wife seems to have made off with it. Now I'm looking at the current choices and I'm waffling between the S&W Model 617 and the Ruger Single-Ten.

-flip a coin, both are very well made and provide hours of enjoyment at the range. Ergonomics are somewhat different between them but I feel they are each others' equal in terms of quality and accuracy.

wetidlerjr
01-27-14, 07:33
Look for older double action revolvers. I have both an S&W Model 17 and a Colt Officers Match Model and they can't be beat. Both have outstanding actions and are VERY accurate in both single and double action. While Ruger makes some nice 22LR revolvers, they, simply, don't compare to the old Colts and Smiths.

montanadave
01-27-14, 13:44
The die is cast. I walked into Cabela's this AM and they just so happened to have a Ruger SP101 in .22LR. So it came home with me. Had there been a S&W Model 617 in the case, I probably would have gone with it but I have 3-4 other Ruger revolvers laying around so I think it'll work just fine for its intended use.

brushy bill
01-29-14, 18:31
Look for older double action revolvers. I have both an S&W Model 17 and a Colt Officers Match Model and they can't be beat. Both have outstanding actions and are VERY accurate in both single and double action. While Ruger makes some nice 22LR revolvers, they, simply, don't compare to the old Colts and Smiths.

True in most comparisons involving older and recent manufactured firearms of same manufacturer / similar model.

Fungunnin
03-12-14, 11:49
I love Smith 22s! Here are some of mine.
It is tough to beat a classic 17 or a new 4" 617.
I like the 43c and the 34 but I prefer the K frames.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/13/uby2yhyb.jpg

Sent from my Motorola Flip phone.