PDA

View Full Version : I Want To Give Back But Have YOU Donate Things...

SteyrAUG
01-20-14, 22:42
If you are thinking California...BINGO.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/wan/4288710396.html

I'm always on the hunt for vintage martial arts weapons so a listing titled "Old Martial Arts Weapons" caught my attention.

I want to build a display for some kids at a local karate school and I am looking for some old Martial Arts weapons. They don't have to be pretty.

If you have any old weapons from taking up space in your garage or house I will take them off your hands.

I'm not looking to pay for these weapons, I want to take them off your hands.

This is my way of giving back to some kids. I want to build a display so they can learn a little about different cultures.

bo staffs
spears
tonfas
kamas
nunchukas
swords

practice or real!

Call or text me

Excuse me but if I give (or worse ship) items to you, aren't "I" the one giving to the kids? How exactly does it work that Ray is the one "doing it for the kids" simply because he builds some half assed display that would probably look like crap scotch taped to a poster board.

The fact that he can't even spell many of the items correctly doesn't instill me with any faith in his ability to teach those kids anything of meaning based upon an actual understanding.

This is SO TYPICAL of the politically liberal mindset and it drives me crazy. They look for handouts and freebies and then want to take CREDIT for passing it along to the kids as if they are some kind of uber volunteer who just gives and gives.

So with that in mind I think I'll start a charity. I want to start a Youth Shooting Program "for the children" so I just need all of you rich, evil white men to send me some suitable firearms and a metric ton of .22lr ammo and I'll spend some of my time (preferably paid time) "doing my part to GIVE BACK to the community and help THE CHILDREN." Obviously I won't give anyone credit for their donations because that might make it looks like somebody else did the actual hard part.

Worst of all some dipshit is bound to send Ray some vintage sai or nunchaku that I would have given good money for so that he can teach some fairy tale about how ninjas and samurai used these things to help protect themselves from foreign invaders while some kids of dirty hippies wipe boogers on them.

Moose-Knuckle
01-21-14, 01:55
Sounds as if "Ray" wants to build upon his own collection of vintage martial art weapons but does not want to spend his own money. So he came up with this ruse to add to his collection by appealing to the kindness of others.

SteyrAUG
01-21-14, 10:39
Sounds as if "Ray" wants to build upon his own collection of vintage martial art weapons but does not want to spend his own money. So he came up with this ruse to add to his collection by appealing to the kindness of others.

Perhaps, I considered that as well. But I've seen plenty of "I want to help the children" activists types who expect everyone else to facilitate their "idea."

Eurodriver
01-21-14, 11:10
I just spoke to Ray on the phone (Having days off when everyone else is at work sucks)

I didn't call him out on his bullshit, but I did ask him to elaborate (and of course, added that I have several types of weapons that are collecting dust, interested in helping out the kids etc etc) Sounded legit, and I have a keen sense of BS talk.

Here's their website if you're interested. Maybe I'll call them up too and ask if they know a "Ray".

http://temeculakravmaga.com/classes/Kids-Karate

SteyrAUG
01-21-14, 11:51
I just spoke to Ray on the phone (Having days off when everyone else is at work sucks)

I didn't call him out on his bullshit, but I did ask him to elaborate (and of course, added that I have several types of weapons that are collecting dust, interested in helping out the kids etc etc) Sounded legit, and I have a keen sense of BS talk.

Here's their website if you're interested. Maybe I'll call them up too and ask if they know a "Ray".

http://temeculakravmaga.com/classes/Kids-Karate

Fake Krav Maga program - check
Teaching fake KM to children - wow and check
Running a commercial school that can't afford to buy used weapons on craigslist - check
Teaching a fake KM program and assuming you have any knowledge of kobu weapons or history - check

montanadave
01-21-14, 12:28
Fake Krav Maga program - check
Teaching fake KM to children - wow and check
Running a commercial school that can't afford to buy used weapons on craigslist - check
Teaching a fake KM program and assuming you have any knowledge of kobu weapons or history - check

You are seriously ****ing up any shot at acquiring a Florida franchise.

Shalom, Grasshopper.

tb-av
01-21-14, 12:49
Is there anything on Craigslist that isn't a complete scam? I don't understand how that thing still exists.

If you are buying you get raped. If you are selling you get robbed.

SteyrAUG
01-21-14, 13:40
You are seriously ****ing up any shot at acquiring a Florida franchise.

Shalom, Grasshopper.

I stopped trying to teach an genuine form of martial arts for a living decades ago. It's a blueprint for poverty. The only money making program is motivational day care under the guise of martial arts.

Genuine martial arts are basic, repetitive and exhausting. Few people are suitable candidates and it can not be learned by anyone in 10 easy lessons. It's like trying to make money by selling people military boot camp without any of the free housing, job opportunities or benefits.

People who think they want to learn martial arts usually have no idea what that really is. They are looking for what they saw in a movie or whatever other misconception they have is. If they find genuine martial arts very few will even realize they have found it and most will not be interested.

Krav Maga is simply the scam de jour. The other one is MMA. Before that everyone thought they were training to be a ninja. Before that people thought they were learning REAL Jeet Kune Do just as Bruce Lee described it. And of course Tae Kwon Do has endured in the form of Take Your Do for all these decades.

SteyrAUG
01-21-14, 13:42
Is there anything on Craigslist that isn't a complete scam? I don't understand how that thing still exists.

I've managed some "fair" deals now and then. But it usually involves things like old martial arts weapons which have no established market values and cannot be sold on ebay. You do wade through a lot of crap to find that one thing however.

chuckman
01-21-14, 13:50

I scored an antique armoir for $50. They did not appreciate that it was an antique. It was worth a couple grand. A few years ago we got a beach front house at Myrtle Beach in mid-September for $90 a night.

That was two out of several other, shitty purchase attempts. As a rule I stay away from Craigslist because two out of 25 are not good odds.

Moose-Knuckle
01-21-14, 15:38

When I moved in with my wife prior to our wedding I sold a bunch of stuff on CL. When my first wife pulled her disappearing act I bought a used washer and dryer off of a friend for $150. My friend bought the pair when his first wife performed her disapperaing act from a buddy of his for $150. When I got married for the second time I turned around and sold the washer and dryer for you guessed it, $150. I also sold an old bed, couch, entertainment center . . . combined with the washer and dryer I made a total of $500 off of stuff I was just going to give to Good-Will. I used that $500 and turned around and purchased an Arsenal Russian imported SGL21 back when they had them on sale for $499. So you might say that I'm a Craiglist success story. Of course everytime I had people over to buy my junk I had my CCW on and I phoned my parents to let them know who and when I was meeting. I DO NOT advise single females to buy and sale on CL without being in the company of armed male companions.

sandman99and9
01-21-14, 18:38
I stopped trying to teach an genuine form of martial arts for a living decades ago. It's a blueprint for poverty. The only money making program is motivational day care under the guise of martial arts.

Genuine martial arts are basic, repetitive and exhausting. Few people are suitable candidates and it can not be learned by anyone in 10 easy lessons. It's like trying to make money by selling people military boot camp without any of the free housing, job opportunities or benefits.

People who think they want to learn martial arts usually have no idea what that really is. They are looking for what they saw in a movie or whatever other misconception they have is. If they find genuine martial arts very few will even realize they have found it and most will not be interested.

Krav Maga is simply the scam de jour. The other one is MMA. Before that everyone thought they were training to be a ninja. Before that people thought they were learning REAL Jeet Kune Do just as Bruce Lee described it. And of course Tae Kwon Do has endured in the form of Take Your Do for all these decades.

Are you questioning my 6 month black belt I got when I was 14 ?? IMPOSSIBRU !!!

I have seen literally dozens and dozens of martial arts schools come and go over the years in Orlando, they all go out of business. I see a bunch of MMA schools around town now :)

S.M.