PDA

View Full Version : 1911 THUG or CQB

George Mac
05-16-08, 19:47
I carry a worked over SA and want a second 1911 for duty. As an LEO, this will be an everyday in the elements on the hip as well as plain clothes carry weapon.

A team here did a group buy on Wilson CQBs and they are very happy. A local shop is pointing me toward a Les Baer Custom Carry. However, the THUG from Steve Morrison also looks very nice. Since all of these are within 500 of each other does anyone have an opinion on a dead nuts always works 1911 with good customer service after the sale as well?

Here is a shot of my current carry tools. I want to be sure that night sights and a Dawson rail are on the next build. (they will go on this as well as soon as I have anther to fill the holster)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/georgemac/IMG_0499.jpg

Gentle Ben
05-16-08, 20:24
How soon do you need it? You should be able to get a CQB in a relatively short time, whereas a THUG is going to take many many months.

I'm strongly considering a THUG, and have a pristine series 70 as the platform. Militarymorons.com has a writeup about one of the guy's personal THUGs, and I think it took 10 months to complete.

SeaSoldier
05-17-08, 10:18
I love my Baers and Rock River 1911's. I sure would like a THUG though.

Semi_auto
05-17-08, 10:40
Tough to beat Wilson's customer service and turn around time.

rob_s
05-17-08, 11:22
Tough to beat Wilson's customer service and turn around time.

Was going to say the same thing. Their QC seems to have improved as well since some folks left a while back.

VA_Dinger
05-17-08, 14:06
I vote THUG w/o question.

Their is no comparing the attention to detail & QC each one of Steve's guns receives.

George Mac
05-17-08, 16:38
Thank you for the input, DB says the same.

Any user comments on the "golf ball" style texturing on the front and MSP? The smooth golf ball style that Steve posted certainly looks nice.

My thinking is to use the new Heine LEDGE all black rear (or a 10-8), a tritium front, and a Dawson rail. Any comments or opinions?

Blinking Dog
05-19-08, 13:26
I love my CQB. Shoots like a dream, and is reliable as heck.

When I got the pistol I called Wilson a bunch to ask noob questions and they were always really patient and helpful. But I don't call anymore since there isn't a need.

Check out their web site and look at Bill Wilson's definition of customer service. He really means it.

militarymoron
05-19-08, 14:17
my morrison/MARS-worked 1911 isn't a full THUG - steve just did what i wanted - i didn't need the full THUG treatment. it took longer than normal because steve moved his shop from utah to AZ, so that added some time.
i like the sharp golf ball - after machining, you can ask steve to break the edges to reduce the sharpness a bit before refinishing (like sanding down gunner grips). i find them comfortable without gloves and the bite is great with gloves.

T Bone
05-19-08, 20:38
I'm unfamiliar with the Thug (anyone have a link?). But my CQB has been flawless, ditto their customer service. Hard to imagine better!

Lumpy196
05-20-08, 18:30
http://www.marsguns.com/SpartanOverview.htm