PDA

View Full Version : Dealer sent the wrong rifle. Now what?

Cmm46
01-21-14, 16:08
OK so back in January '13 I got in a on a law enforcement group buy of Sig rifles through a Captain on my department. They were ordered through a store in Philly and sent to an FFL here in MD. I ordered a 556 Classic since I happened to be eying one up when this opportunity came around. Everyone on my team ordered 516s and got them probably 6 months ago now. Mine finally came in to the FFL in December. Since I ordered it before our ban took place in October I was still allowed to get my rifle. So I met with the FFL and did the paperwork. I was not shown my rifle. He basically barrows some counter space at a friends car audio store so it's not like a regular gun shop. I came back a week later to get it. The FFL had it in his car in a taped up Sig box. I did not open it since he was handing me this taped up box in the middle of a parking lot on a shitty day. I guess that's my fault. So I drive home and open it up and its a Classic Patrol. Not what I ordered. Long story short, I've been dealing with the Philly store for almost 5 weeks now. The guy assures me he's going to send out the correct rifle and issue a "call tag" for the wrong gun to have it sent back. He tells me he will contact the MD FFL and work it out and keep me posted. Every time I talk to him he gives me an excuse as to why he hasn't taken care of it yet and assures me its getting done. I'm pretty sure I'm getting the run around now. Am I stuck with this rifle or do I have other options?

Iraqgunz
01-21-14, 16:36
You live in MD and you probably know the law better than we do. Sounds like you guys dealt with someone you shouldn't have dealt with. What other options are there? You either sell the gun to someone else or you get with the Captain on your department who obviously had a hand in it, and have him deal with it.

In the same breath, anyone who didn't open the box, inspect the weapon and check it gets very little sympathy around here.

Just Prince
01-21-14, 17:44
I have to get the rest of this story at work. That sucks. I heard about the FFL at Reilys retirement party. Because of the new laws and the fact we dont have a personal purchase rifle program you may be stuck unless you buy a piston version as a replacement. I hate to say it but you have to go through the courts for statisfaction. Whats the difference between the two? Good luck either way.
Prince

Obscenejesster
01-21-14, 20:11
Have you posted this question on MD Shooters? If not, you will get better answers there.

Ryan S.
01-21-14, 20:34
The Patrol is .7 lighter but all weight is off the front. The piston system is shorter, it does not appear to effect reliability. The disadvantage is shorter hand guard length if you prefer your hand out further and shorter sight radius for the irons. If it was me I would just keep the patrol but I would probably prefer that model. If its a big deal you will just have to continue pushing the seller to make it right, and hope you can still the rifle transferred to you when the correct one arrives, and hope that does not take a really long time.

Cmm46
01-21-14, 21:20
Thanks. I will post up there tomorrow.

LoveAR
01-21-14, 21:25
I would contact an attorney before too much time passes. Otherwise, you will soon be SOL.

Obscenejesster
01-21-14, 22:20
You're not going to want to hear this but I live in MD and know SB281 fairly well.

That being said, I don't think you're going to get the rifle you originally wanted. The FFl and the distributor may agree to exchange the rifle but the MD State Police is not going to care about your issue. They will not register the new serial number due to the rifle now being on the ban list.

Honestly, I would call the state police licensing division and let them know what's going on before you even attempt to exchange it. You don't want to turn that rifle into the FFL and then have the State Police deny the new paperwork 4 months later. Then you have nothing.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

mrvco
01-21-14, 22:31
Can you just replace the handguard? Sending it back or exchanging it seems like a huge risk with the new ban.

Stickman
01-21-14, 22:34
Keep the lower, have the upper replaced...

Auto426
01-21-14, 22:48
That does sound like a crappy situation. I would try and fight to get the correct rifle as I prefer the longer gas system and hand guards with the 16" barrel. Good luck with your fight and I hope the MD State Police don't try and screw you over.

Can you just replace the handguard? Sending it back or exchanging it seems like a huge risk with the new ban.

Not on a 556. The patrol model uses the shorter 553 style gas system which requires the shorter hand guards.

Keep the lower, have the upper replaced...

The upper is the serialized part on a 556, so he still would run the risk of losing the gun.

Stickman
01-21-14, 22:56
The upper is the serialized part on a 556, so he still would run the risk of losing the gun.

My bad, I skimmed and figured since it was in the AR section, it was an AR variant.

thehun
01-21-14, 23:14
I'd keep it..and just order a Swiss hand guard from Sig...much easier

NYH1
01-22-14, 01:07
You're not going to want to hear this but I live in MD and know SB281 fairly well.

That being said, I don't think you're going to get the rifle you originally wanted. The FFl and the distributor may agree to exchange the rifle but the MD State Police is not going to care about your issue. They will not register the new serial number due to the rifle now being on the ban list.

Honestly, I would call the state police licensing division and let them know what's going on before you even attempt to exchange it. You don't want to turn that rifle into the FFL and then have the State Police deny the new paperwork 4 months later. Then you have nothing.

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7
I agree with Obscenejesster. I would definitely call the State Police or the licensing agency and find out if you're going to be able to take ownership of a completely different rifle/carbine then the one you originally had on order before said ban took effect. If not, I'd rather have a rifle/carbine that's a little different then the one I originally wanted.....the one you have now, just to be able to have one altogether. Just my $.02.

Good luck, NYH1.