PDA

View Full Version : Nice Jump

tb-av
01-21-14, 22:07
Is it just an illusion.... it looks like a fairly modest descent rate until he turns, and then it looks like a quite rapid drop from top of stadium to just off ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WCWpWQXveQ

skydivr
01-22-14, 09:42
AWESOME. Great Job! The King Air is such a great jump plane.

This takes some pretty big ones:

1. You are COMMITTED
2. There are NO OUTS
3. The winds into Stadiums can be difficult. Direction/speed/turbulence changes about the rim, into dead air once inside the rim. They did a great job.

The rapid drop is because not only did they go into dead air below the rim, they also hook turned it to build up speed and change down angle in order to get closer to the ground before running out of forward space to land. A normal glide angle would take them all the way across the stadium before getting to the ground.

tb-av
01-22-14, 10:08
ah, ok, I see what you are saying. When they jumped out I thought man how in the world are they going to land in there..... then when he turned and that drop, I thought holy cow, somebody better slow that train down.

Jer
01-22-14, 10:38
Wow. Effortless.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-22-14, 10:40
My buddy jumps with those guys on a regular basis, although he is more of a wingsuiter. He says they are some of the best around. I jumped out their main location in Longmont and found it to be exhilarating, albeit expensive.

Eurodriver
01-22-14, 12:03
On my "Fvck That Shit!" List, Skydiving is third only to snakes and frogs.

That was an insanely fast decent once he hit the stadium.

skydivr
01-22-14, 17:34
I just had a facebook chat with one of the guys that made that jump (a friend of a friend). We had an interesting conversation.

1. They jump all the home games, so this wasn't their first rodeo
2. Winds were about 14 MPH above the rim, dead air inside it (one of the reasons you see the big 'drop').
3. They were all jumping PD Spectres 97-120 sf in size
4. The big issue is the STEEL CABLES across the field for the field goal net and the overhead camera. They go in and inspect before every jump that the overhead camera wire is out of the way, but they MUST hook turn into the stadium to avoid the field goal cable.
5. ALL of them are USPA PRO-rated jumpers (a rating for demo's, takes a little work and good tested accuracy skills to get)
6. They all jump out at Longmont.

JohnnyC
01-23-14, 00:03
That's nuts! I wanna do it!!!!

Eloy's super close to me, and damn if I wouldn't look sexy in one of those SKD camo containers......

SteyrAUG
01-23-14, 01:13
Looks like another incredible rush that I'll simply never know.

I get enough excitement trying to pay my mortgage every week.

Airhasz
01-23-14, 02:37
Anyone know what kind of money is paid to jumpers with the skill to pull off that kind of jump?

nimdabew
01-23-14, 11:38
This makes me want to be a jumper driver.

skydivr
01-23-14, 11:47
That's nuts! I wanna do it!!!!

Eloy's super close to me, and damn if I wouldn't look sexy in one of those SKD camo containers......

On of the best drop zones in the country - you suck i am so jealous.

Anyone know what kind of money is paid to jumpers with the skill to pull off that kind of jump?

While they may get paid to reimburse the cost of the aircraft and fuel, most skydivers I know would PAY to get to go on THAT demo :)

ShortytheFirefighter
01-23-14, 15:23
I had a chance to do a tandem last year with a former SEAL and Leap Frog, it was awesome to jump with someone who really knows how to fly a canopy. He has a side business called CRW Demos that does stadium and other exhibition jumps. Having seen some of his footage and photos, it's definitely an unforgiving area to land in.

Here's the website: http://crwdemos.com/

JohnnyC
01-23-14, 23:49
On of the best drop zones in the country - you suck i am so jealous.

Arizona's a great place to be. Some friends have jumped out there and said Arizona Airspeed and Arizona Arsenal are some cool peeps to jump out of a perfectly good airplane with.

skydivr
01-24-14, 09:29
Arizona's a great place to be. Some friends have jumped out there and said Arizona Airspeed and Arizona Arsenal are some cool peeps to jump out of a perfectly good airplane with.

At least in the fall-winter it is; dead of summer not so good. They are pro's and I am a meer amateur. Like the difference between high school football and the NFL.