PDA

View Full Version : WWII Arisaka question

Capt.Cody
01-22-14, 18:29
Hey guys and gals...I have a quick question. I was gifted an Arisaka as a wedding present and unlike everybody who has seemed to lock the bolt in the closed position, mine will not goto the closed position. I know somehow the safety got manipuliated before the bolt was locked down, but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix this....Any suggestions? Btw, new to this forum , but not firearms in any way shape or form...Thanks in advance,
Capt.Cody

SurplusShooter
01-22-14, 19:06
Bolt knob will, normally, push in then rotate about 30-degrees to go on-safe or back to fire.

(See 1:00 in my video here:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RdX-iitwFwI )

If safety knob was turned while bolt was "out" that might be the problem?
Also it is a "cock-on-closing" design is that throwing you off?

What exactly is it doing / not doing? Need clear description of steps you are trying to do, that would help.

Capt.Cody
01-22-14, 19:14
Roger that, will take some pics tmr...I think that you are correct, 1 of my Navy buddies was handling it while i was out of the room and i think he pushed the bolt back in with the palm of hand inadvertantly turning the safety. The problem is, from what i have read, i need to take it out of the stock. Well this was my fathers rifle he brought home from Viet Nam and had converted into a hunting rifle and when he did this in 71 he had it glassed in...

Capt.Cody
01-22-14, 19:23
bolt will slide forward and back, not come completely out, and will not lock down

SurplusShooter
01-22-14, 19:25
If the bolt slides forward and back then you should be able to pull it out. It has a bolt-release on the left (Port) side of the rear ring, just like a Mauser k98.

Capt.Cody
01-22-14, 19:35
dumb me, didn't notice the bolt release.....Duh da duh.....Feeling very embarrassed right now.. I am sure i can figure it out now...And it needs a good wipe down with some fluids...

SurplusShooter
01-22-14, 19:41
Just for kicks.... does it still have the chrysanthemum mark on the receiver or was it scratched-out ?

Capt.Cody
01-22-14, 19:56
there are no such marks or scratches on that area, however with the little research i did do, i think it was one of the rare paratrooper models

SurplusShooter
01-22-14, 20:38
That's interesting.... I thought all (that were made during the Imperial era / WW2 ) were made with the 'mum, even last-ditch.
You think it had a 'mum and was ground down and refinished to where you can't tell anymore? Or perhaps made without the Mum somehow (don't know how that would happen). Interesting.

Capt.Cody
01-22-14, 21:10
not sure, will take some pics tmr ...My father had the front sight cut off and put it in a very nice stock and had it glassed in. Where the mum would be is now a scope mount. the barrel is not the typical 38 or 99 lenght , leading me to believe that this was some of the rare paratrooper models that i have found through research.....BTW thanks for the video!! Just a couple of time at looking at configuration and realized what was wrong...Fixed now....Liike i said..new to site, not new to firearms....I actually used this rifle to cull my first dear at age 12..been asking for it ever since...thanks again for your help.....
Capt.Cody..

SurplusShooter
01-23-14, 14:02
On the barrel length: if the front sight was cut-off the barrel was probably cut-down (shorter) at the same time. This was a typical thing that people did to make hunting rifles, "back in the day", so the barrel length it's probably not original.

Larry Vickers
01-23-14, 20:22
Pics will tell the tale of course but it would be best to keep it as a hand me down and not look up current values on original condition and unmodified paratrooper model Japanese rifles.....

You might just get sick to your stomach

Capt.Cody
01-25-14, 21:03
Roger that, I do have the the receipts from 71 when the work was done and nothing says cut barrel, just remove front sight sight, glass in custom stock and add scope mount..Been busy, will try to download pics tnght

Capt.Cody
01-26-14, 00:11
barrel is 23"

Capt.Cody
01-26-14, 00:13
from the breach

SurplusShooter
01-28-14, 12:36
Pictures are not appearing.

Capt.Cody
01-29-14, 23:10
Pictures are not appearing.