PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Lee Perfect Powder Measure

RNGRPOPO
05-16-08, 21:55
:confused: I have Lee Perfect Powder Meausre. I have tried to understand the instruction but they are very brief. When I check the loads against the Lee Safety Powder Scale they are short. Can anyone tell me how to use the powder measure? All help will be greatly appreciated.

Redhat
05-16-08, 22:03
Did you run a hopper full of powder through it to lubricate it?

Did you adjust the cavity to get the correct amount of powder as checked against your scale?

What exactly are you having trouble with in the instructions?

RNGRPOPO
05-16-08, 22:18
Yes I ran a hopper of powder through it. I am using Ram Tac Powder (24.5 grains). When I did the calculation I need to set the Lee Perfect measure to 1.64

I get a little confused when I states " turn the thimble to the Number "" on the metering rod for the first whole number to the left of the decimal point. My question is are the instruction refering to turn the metering rod to "1" then it 6 more times for the number "6".

RNGRPOPO
05-16-08, 22:19
I noticed I have powder come out the center of the crank plate.

jmart
05-16-08, 22:26
Powder densities vary from lot-to-lot. Lee's VMD values are close, but may not line up exactly.

Recommend you do the following:

(1) Using Lee's VMD value, figure out to what closest cc setting you should use. For example, if loading for .223, you'll end up using around 1.5 cc's for most useful powder settings. If loading for .308, you'll use closer to 3.0 cc's. Set the measure for the closest value (1.5, 3.0, etc.).

(2) Throw a couple of charges and toss them back in the hopper. Don't bother weighing the first 2-3 charges thrown.

(3) Next, throw about five charges and weigh them in total. For .223, these five charges thrown should weigh in around 125 grains, + a couple grains.

(4) Divide this total by the number of charges thrown (i.e., 5). This gives you a reasonable average weight thrown for that setting.

(5) Then take your cc setting you used (1.5, 3.0, whatever) and divide by the average weight you just calculated (e.g., 1.5/25 = .06). This gives you the VMD setting for your lot of powder. It should be reasonably close to Lee's published value, but in all likelihood it will vary a tad. This is because the lot of powder you are using is different than what Lee used when they published their data.

(6) Record this VMD setting on your powder canister.

(7) For future use, you can calculate a measure setting given this VMD. To get a desired weight, multiple your desired weight by the recorded VMD setting and this should give you your powder measure setting. E.G., you want 25.0 grains thrown, multiple 25 by your VMD setting and you should get volumetric cc setting to set your measure to. This will get you very close. Your powder, if it has absorbed some humidity or whatever may vary in density over time, but you should be within a couple tenths on the cc dial to hit your target weight. You can fine tune your setting from here.

jmart
05-16-08, 22:35
The Lee PPM leaks with ball. It's a fact of life. Don't sweat it.

If it leaks a lot, adjust the screw on the handle, tighten it ever so slightly. Then throw some charges. Eventually you'll tighten it too much where the handle will drag. Back off to a point where you are comfortable with the leakage-to-handle drag ratio. Again, it will leak a tad so don't sweat it. It won't leak if using extruded (RL-15, H4895, Varget, etc.), but ball will meter more consistently, and charge little, necked-down .221 case mouths more consistently than extruded.

Regarding the measure's setting, the stem is a vernier scale. Set it to the whole cc, then turn complete revolutions to dial in the tenth (look at the tick/reference marks), then dial a tad more to get the hundreths of a cc. The required value will line up with the reference mark. All of this is pictured in your instructions. If you lost them, or bought your equipment second hand, try Lee's website for FAQ, Instructions, etc. Failing that, you can order them, or just PM me and I'll snail mail you a copy of mine.

mudrock
05-16-08, 23:00
Thanks for taking the time to post that info Jmart. Good stuff.

jmart
05-16-08, 23:57
You're quite welcome.

Redhat
05-17-08, 08:45
I have never used the PPM for ball powder since I can load .223 on my classic turret press and using the pro auto-disk measure mounted on the press works fine. Incidentally, I use H335 for .223 which is also a ball powder. I do use the PPM for loading 30-06 and .270 and like JMART said, since I'm using extruded powders for those rounds it works great.

I did have to play around with it a bit to develop the right feel for operation. I also had to adjust the metering until it threw loads consistently when checked against my scale. Once that was done, recorded the setting numbers in my load data book for later use.

Once you get it working for you I think you'll like the PPM a lot...I do.

DesertWarrior13
05-18-08, 00:55
Powder densities vary from lot-to-lot. Lee's VMD values are close, but may not line up exactly.

Exactly. I always calculate my own VMD using Lee's formula for every powder type and new lot I buy. My experience is that it's always different from what Lee has advertised. Like stated before, powder densities do very from lot to lot. I also tape my own VMD to the cannister.
Also, weigh you powder several times once you think your powder measure is set. Some times you need to tweak it a little, more or less depending on several weighs, to get about the right amount. I find the meter on the PPM difficult to set exaclty; so approximate and adjust as needed.

A great site for Lee user's:
http://loadmastervideos.com/

RNGRPOPO
05-18-08, 09:48
Thanks for all the help. I got some consistent loads last night and they checked with the scale. I will take the advice give and calculate a VMD for each powder that I use. Right now I am just loading .223 for my M4. I took five rounds to the range and shot them and they shot great.