PDA

View Full Version : B5 Systems Wolf Grey color match with Magpul/MFT???

Shao
01-23-14, 11:14
Sorry if this has been asked, I've just spent an hour scouring the web trying to find some info.
I was lucky enough to score a wolf grey B5 Bravo stock and grip but have found myself wanting
to swap the grip out with a MOE K2 (gray) since I've become quite accustomed to using them.
I was wondering if anyone has the gray MOE K2 and any B5 grey furniture to compare shades on them
for me and possibly post some pics - This is my first AR of color and I don't want mismatched shades.
Also - I want to order a MFT minimalist stock in gray but need to know how those match as well. Thanks
in advance.

Bluto
01-23-14, 11:49
I don't know about the Moe, but OMG my wife has a pair of shoes that color that are just to die for!

C'Mon, Shao... You've been a member how long? Surely you saw this response coming...

:p

markm
01-23-14, 12:00
Yeah. This thread need to get moved to ARFcom.

SilverBullet432
01-23-14, 12:03
Yeah. This thread need to get moved to ARFcom.

There was a similar thread yesterday.

wildcard600
01-23-14, 12:07
cerakote (or other spray on finish) or dye is probably the only way to be sure.

Shao
01-23-14, 12:10
Sorry, just had a bad experience with an FDE rifle I built for a friend and since this is my first non-black AR I didn't want any surprises. I know it's a tool... yadda.. yadda... but when you're spending $1600+ on a rifle it would be nice if the colors at least matched.

SilverBullet432
01-23-14, 12:11
Sorry, just had a bad experience with an FDE rifle I built for a friend and since this is my first non-black AR I didn't want any surprises. I know it's a tool... yadda.. yadda... but when you're spending $1600+ on a rifle it would be nice if the colors at least matched.
Was/is your friend OCD?

skijunkie55
01-23-14, 12:12
You could probly leave a message on B5's facebook page. They are always quick to respond when I have inquiries...

which i don't.... because who cares about matching colors.... :o

Shao
01-23-14, 12:18
cerakote (or other spray on finish) or dye is probably the only way to be sure.

I don't like Cerakote, especially on furniture.

Was/is your friend OCD?

I don't know, but I do know that a fleshy colored stock and a dark khaki grip would not make most people happy. I do, however, suffer from a little OCD myself. Obviously.

You could probly leave a message on B5's facebook page. They are always quick to respond when I have inquiries...

which i don't.... because who cares about matching colors.... :o

Already did... no response.. I'm not sure if anyone actually knows yet. I care about matching colors, sorry. Call me superficial if you want. You wouldn't want a green cerakoted lower on a pink cerakoted upper with a yellow stock and orange pistol grip. People do care about aesthetics. If not, no one would cerakote/duracoat/NiB their guns in the first place and there wouldn't be color selections for furniture.

3 AE
01-23-14, 13:49
It's close enough. We're not talking apples and oranges. Just a slight difference in shading. Two different companies. Do you really expect the color match to be exact?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/photo-tfb.jpeg

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/shaofutzer/media/IMG_1468_zps68698fc6.jpg.html

Shao
01-23-14, 14:17
It's close enough. We're not talking apples and oranges. Just a slight difference in shading. Two different companies. Do you really expect the color match to be exact?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/photo-tfb.jpeg

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/shaofutzer/media/IMG_1468_zps68698fc6.jpg.html

Thanks for that... Not exact - just close enough so that it isn't an eyesore. Finally someone who tried helping instead of giving the obligatory "A rifle is a tool, who cares what it looks like, DERP!" response. Although that pic of the B5 furniture is mine... :D

dentron
01-23-14, 14:26

Hump66
01-23-14, 14:27
I really don't think you can accurately tell what the color differences are from 2 separate photos. They both need to be in the same picture to get an accurate representation of shade differences.

Obscenejesster
01-23-14, 14:40
I care about aesthetics as well and it is also due to my OCD. Seriously, I'm clinically diagnosed.

You just can't have it both ways though. You're either a super elite tactical operator or you're just some regular old dirt shooter who cares about aesthetics.

VIP3R 237
01-23-14, 14:49
I have a Magpul grey K2 in my hand right now and it's more of a navy blueish grey than a wolf grey. If you are familiar with Cerakote the H-130 Combat Grey is the closest match.

Shao
01-23-14, 14:50
I care about aesthetics as well and it is also due to my OCD. Seriously, I'm clinically diagnosed.

You just can't have it both ways though. You're either a super elite tactical operator or you're just some regular old dirt shooter who cares about aesthetics.

I'd rather be a "super 733T tactical operator" with a nice looking weapon. It builds confidence. Don't you think that an ancient Samurai warrior with a beautifully finished sword would perform better than an equivalent warrior with an equally well made sword that looked like it had been trampled by a warhorse? It's like getting a new haircut and new duds before hitting a bar or club - you're still the same person, but your confidence level is higher. Confidence... A major factor in determining the outcome of any battle.

I have a Magpul grey K2 in my hand right now and it's more of a navy blueish grey than a wolf grey. If you are familiar with Cerakote the H-130 Combat Grey is the closest match.

Thank you sir.. helpful as always. This is what I needed to hear. You answered my question. Many blessings upon you.

Obscenejesster
01-23-14, 14:51
I'd rather be a "super 733T tactical operator" with a nice looking weapon. It builds confidence. Don't you think that an ancient Samurai warrior with a beautifully finished sword would perform better than an equivalent warrior with an equally well made sword that looked like it had been trampled by a warhorse? It's like getting a new haircut and new duds before hitting a bar or club - you're still the same person, but your confidence level is higher. Confidence... A major factor in determining any battle.

I was being sarcastic. I agree with you.

Shao
01-23-14, 14:54
I was being sarcastic. I agree with you.

I know you were, sorry if I my tone made it seem otherwise. I was just elaborating. I tend to do that too much.

skijunkie55
01-23-14, 15:25
Already did... no response.. I'm not sure if anyone actually knows yet. I care about matching colors, sorry. Call me superficial if you want. You wouldn't want a green cerakoted lower on a pink cerakoted upper with a yellow stock and orange pistol grip. People do care about aesthetics. If not, no one would cerakote/duracoat/NiB their guns in the first place and there wouldn't be color selections for furniture.

Haha I hear ya. I was just messing as well. I posted on their page a while back when the B5 bravos were out. Between the FDE Stock, grips, rail covers, and magpul BUIS I used, I wanted to be sure it was the same. I'm too unsure of my painting skills to just bust out the rattle can and go to town.

It does surprise me that Mark didn't get back to you on the color match tho... Anyway, best of luck!

plouffedaddy
01-23-14, 17:22
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/404/jsf6.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/b8jsf6j)

I know it's not the same color but their foliage matches perfectly. Could be an indication…..

Trajan
01-23-14, 18:33
I'd rather be a "super 733T tactical operator" with a nice looking weapon. It builds confidence. Don't you think that an ancient Samurai warrior with a beautifully finished sword would perform better than an equivalent warrior with an equally well made sword that looked like it had been trampled by a warhorse? It's like getting a new haircut and new duds before hitting a bar or club - you're still the same person, but your confidence level is higher. Confidence... A major factor in determining the outcome of any battle.
Confidence comes from skill, not how your weapon looks.

Most of the dudes using these things for real spray paint them.

Is the B5 grip essentially a re-branded Umbrella grip? Never saw an announcement for this product.

dentron
01-23-14, 18:38
Confidence comes from skill, not how your weapon looks.

Most of the dudes using these things for real spray paint them.

Is the B5 grip essentially a re-branded Umbrella grip? Never saw an announcement for this product.

B5 manufactures the grip for Umbrella

Iraqgunz
01-23-14, 21:03
To be quite honest some of these "do the my shoes and purse match" threads are getting a little over the top. Anyone who has been around long enough knows that there is not even a standard for colors like, tan, FDE or coyote brown.

tylerw02
01-24-14, 09:15

Thank you sir.. helpful as always. This is what I needed to hear. You answered my question. Many blessings upon you.

Except most "warriors" are going to spray can their shit so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and get them killed. Especially if its going to be hit with IR. I dunno about you, but my match rifle is all banged up, doesn't make me shoot worse because I lack confidence or something because its ugly. Personally, I wouldn't hire a carpenter who's tools all looked pristine---I'd put good money on that he's never used them.

Shao
01-24-14, 09:26
I understand your points and none lack validity, but from a hypothetical (and fanastic) viewpoint - what if the Lady of the Lake threw King Arthur a rusty old sabre with all the powers of Excalibur. Do you think he would wield it with the same amount of effectiveness as his gleaming magical sword? Would it strike the same terror into the hearts of his enemies??? I'm not saying I want a gleaming magical AR (OK, so maybe I do) - but I'm not in the sandbox and I wouldn't Krylon my gun because it's ugly and opens up possibilities for unreliable function. I have beater guns that I don't care as much about, but I believe the psychological effect of having a pristine weapon could definitely lead to a slight advantage. Imagine if you went to war in tattered pink camo and a clown nose - do you think that you would fare as well? Honestly? Could a psych major step in join the discussion?

tylerw02
01-24-14, 09:35
So now you want to use a fairy tale for justification?

How does Krylon impede function? That's bullshit.

Camouflage, I don't think it means what you think it means... War in tattered pink camo? Where is the war, Mars? If tattered pink camo meant success vs failure, you bet your ass I'd wear it! Form follows function!

ARs are ugly anyway. If you want pretty, maybe you should get into collecting Italian shotguns or something. There is no legitimate psych effect to have a pretty gun for the average person. I've got a really pretty Italian shotgun. It has white gold inlays, AAA grade Walnut, nickle plating on the receiver, and beautiful gloss bluing on the barrel. I shoot far more birds with my banged up shotty, and I don't worry about scratching it crossing a barbed wire fence. What do you want to do with this gun? Look at it or use it?

nolt
01-24-14, 10:42
I understand your points and none lack validity

What's VALID is that alot of the people that read this forum read it because they don't have to sift through numerous threads about appearance and fashion. The responses you're getting are screaming that at you and you still apparently refuse to acknowledge or understand that.

Zane1844
01-24-14, 11:23
If it helps, I learned to appreciate my mismatched FDE rifle, I no longer even notice.

Also, for some of us, when we spend money on an AR we kinda want it to be "perfect" in our eyes. These are not issued weapons, they are an expensive investment.

After I get the look and feel down, however, I do not try to keep the gun pretty, I actually do not clean my trainer AR, it looks bad from the paint wearing, and built up carbon.

The initial investment is when I am picky on looks, after that..."its a tool..."

ra2bach
01-24-14, 11:37
I understand your points and none lack validity, but from a hypothetical (and fanastic) viewpoint - what if the Lady of the Lake threw King Arthur a rusty old sabre with all the powers of Excalibur. Do you think he would wield it with the same amount of effectiveness as his gleaming magical sword? Would it strike the same terror into the hearts of his enemies??? I'm not saying I want a gleaming magical AR (OK, so maybe I do) - but I'm not in the sandbox and I wouldn't Krylon my gun because it's ugly and opens up possibilities for unreliable function. I have beater guns that I don't care as much about, but I believe the psychological effect of having a pristine weapon could definitely lead to a slight advantage. Imagine if you went to war in tattered pink camo and a clown nose - do you think that you would fare as well? Honestly? Could a psych major step in join the discussion?

I get what you're saying - no one wants a new gun that looks like it was assembled at a rummage sale. the first FDE SCAR was so ugly it was almost pretty. no, it was just ugly...

lighter colors are going to be harder to match but even black can look weird when it goes from the shop to sunlight so there's no real answer here. the best I can tell you is a light dusting of Krylon will hold really well on most plastics (once it's been degreased) and if it was close enough to begin with, it should look really good, even if it gets rubbed off in places.

or, if you want a really interesting look, you could just use whatever color these are as the base coat, cover them all with camo netting or leaves or pine needles, etc., and spray a contrasting color. gray and Krylon Khaki would look good together and a small amount of black as a third color would look really good on a black gun...

skijunkie55
01-24-14, 11:53
Also, for some of us, when we spend money on an AR we kinda want it to be "perfect" in our eyes. These are not issued weapons, they are an expensive investment.

The initial investment is when I am picky on looks, after that..."its a tool..."

quoted for truth.

Would I personally spray paint a new Noveske rifle I just spent $3,000 on? Probably not. In two years time? maybe.

Shao
01-24-14, 12:49
ARs are ugly anyway. If you want pretty, maybe you should get into collecting Italian shotguns or something. There is no legitimate psych effect to have a pretty gun for the average person. I've got a really pretty Italian shotgun. It has white gold inlays, AAA grade Walnut, nickle plating on the receiver, and beautiful gloss bluing on the barrel. I shoot far more birds with my banged up shotty, and I don't worry about scratching it crossing a barbed wire fence. What do you want to do with this gun? Look at it or use it?

I personally think ARs are beautiful. I'm not really into overpriced ornately scrolled Italian shotguns... and I'd like to use it AND look at it. Would you go buy a new $2000 custom 1911 and then Krylon it? Hell no... Is the 1911 a tool? Yes. Your argument is invalid.

What's VALID is that alot of the people that read this forum read it because they don't have to sift through numerous threads about appearance and fashion. The responses you're getting are screaming that at you and you still apparently refuse to acknowledge or understand that.

Not another "An AR is a tool, who cares what it looks like" guy. So you're telling me that you have absolutely no concern over the appearance of your weapon? Maybe I was raised differently. I was taught to care about and care for my weapon, internally and externally.
Let's see some pics of your ARs... are they all beat-to-hell "tools" or do you have a looker or two? My guess would be the latter.

I get what you're saying - no one wants a new gun that looks like it was assembled at a rummage sale. the first FDE SCAR was so ugly it was almost pretty. no, it was just ugly...

Thanks again ra2bach for not jumping on the "AR is a tool, if you want it to look nice, you're a pussy" bandwagon. I'm certain my old Sig M400 will be sprayed one day once I can't stand looking at it's banged-upness anymore... and thanks for the suggestions. It's good to see that not everyone on this board is a kool-aid drinking sheep.

quoted for truth.

Would I personally spray paint a new Noveske rifle I just spent $3,000 on? Probably not. In two years time? maybe.

Exactly... Our troops in the sandbox spray paint their rifles because they don't have to buy them. We, the taxpayers do. I doubt as many would do the same thing to their own prized AR that they spent their own money on. I have a couple of $3000+ ARs and there's no way in hell I'd douche them up with $30 in spray paint.

Besides, to all you Krylon lovers out there, I live in an urban environment. I have no desire to travel to a third-world country and make my gun blend in with the local terrain and flora. I have no need to camouflage my gun. What am I going to paint it with, with that simulated stone spray so that it blends in with the concrete and asphault? What about my home-defense gun. Should I go spray that to match my interior paint color?

tylerw02
01-24-14, 13:03
I personally think ARs are beautiful. I'm not really into overpriced ornately scrolled Italian shotguns... and I'd like to use it AND look at it. Would you go buy a new $2000 custom 1911 and then Krylon it? Hell no... Is the 1911 a tool? Yes. Your argument is invalid.

You've failed to invalidate anything. You haven't demonstrated how paint impedes functions. You've failed to provide an example where success or failure hinges on tattered pink camo. Furthermore, you've failed to produce a shred of evidence that a "pretty" gun provides positive psychological effects for the shooter.

For one, 1911s aren't the best tool for any job these days. Secondly, a sidearm lives in a holster, thus wouldn't need to be camouflaged. Thirdly, I wouldn't spend $2000 on a custom 1911 that wasn't going to be Cerakoted for corrosion resistance, in which case you get it in an earthy tone. And finally, yes I wouldn't camo it if it were beneficial.

Frankly, I think you're here messing with people or something. Seriously, are you a troll? There is a reason why people made comments about not wanting to wade through BS like this here.

tylerw02
01-24-14, 13:05
Exactly... Our troops in the sandbox spray paint their rifles because they don't have to buy them.

Really? That's the reason? I'm glad you're so so confident in your logic. There is also lots of other gear servicemen use and do not buy. Why don't they paint it also, as per your logic, they paint stuff they don't have to buy.

Shao
01-24-14, 13:10
Really? That's the reason? I'm glad you're so so confident in your logic. There is also lots of other gear servicemen use and do not buy. Why don't they paint it also, as per your logic, they paint stuff they don't have to buy.

Wow... where do I start... You know what? I won't...

Your logic is so flawed I won't even bother pointing it out. Think long and hard about what you posted and you'll understand why that was an irrelevant response.

tylerw02
01-24-14, 13:11
Go back to arfcom.

Later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shao
01-24-14, 13:13
Go back to arfcom.

Later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm.. I don't look at arfcom. I barely have time to get on here. I have a life. A very busy one. Nice comeback. Tool... and now you've been ignored so flame me all you want, I won't see it. Too many open-minded folks to discuss things with than to bother with a ninny-boy like you.

VIP3R 237
01-24-14, 13:33
Come on guys knock it off or take it to PM's. We are better than this.

Voodoochild
01-24-14, 14:00
Tylerw02 I suggest you check your tone.

JSantoro
01-24-14, 14:00
Yes, please take all conversations as to whom is or is not an "autumn," with combination skin, anyplace else but here.

From a strict market perspective, the only way to ensure color-matching is to procure all furniture from the same source. Anything else, you're left with choosing color perhaps over some piece that works better for you, or choosing the piece that works better for you and having to live with it being +/- a tone octave or three.

Good grief.

EDIT: Seek out the thread regarding coloring polymer furniture with RIT dye.