http://benswann.com/study-us-states-ranked-by-freedom/

CA > NY ....who'd a thunk it....

Glad I don't live in either

skydivr
01-23-14, 15:51
I'll take #3 :)

THCDDM4
01-23-14, 15:53
We used to be #7, but after the last legislative session we are #19; and I agree with that assessment.

Hopefully my fellow Coloradoans will wake the **** up and trend back towards the top of the list in the coming years...

JBecker 72
01-23-14, 16:05
I see we are at #8 and have improved slightly from the previous year. Lets hope our new governor doesn't dick that up.

Koshinn
01-23-14, 16:18
Would've been nice if she linked the original study in her article.

http://freedominthe50states.org/

Swag
01-23-14, 16:59
No matter how anyone may view this study, I feel a certain amount of satisfaction with my home state's placement.

_Stormin_
01-23-14, 20:56
Hmmm... 29th. Not sure if I agree with that for WA. We should be lower...

Spiffums
01-23-14, 21:02
I'll take #3 :)

As I say Location Location Location!! No super storms or hurricanes, "temperate weather" just changes every 15 mins, but usually stable.

rocsteady
01-24-14, 09:28
We have, sadly, come to refer to our state as "occupied territory". Is there any chance of recovery? You know things are bleak when you rank anywhere near CA in anything. #50; I'm so ashamed. :help:

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-24-14, 09:36
It feels good to be number one

_Stormin_
01-24-14, 09:59
It feels good to be number one

I'm pretty convinced that the second we open ND offices I'm moving back...

Alex V
01-24-14, 10:06
third worst... awesome...

OldState
01-24-14, 10:07
Im surprised PA is so low as it is a pretty free state, especially for guns

From the State Constitution:

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defence of themselves and the State shall not be questioned"

"That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the state; and as standing armies in the time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; And that the military should be kept under strict subordination, to, and governed by, the civil power." Declaration of Rights 1776

Must be that we still have antiquated liquor laws and must buy wine and booze at a state store. Can't think of many other annoying things.

austinN4
01-24-14, 10:46
Im surprised PA is so low as it is a pretty free state, especially for guns
This is why everyone needs to look at the detailed categories and sub-categories. Some states are highly reanked overall, but not so good on personal freedom and vice versa.

chuckman
01-24-14, 12:30
NC...right in the middle. About right. If we could get rid of Chapel Hill, most of Raleigh/Durham/Cary, we would be in the top 5.

WillBrink
01-24-14, 12:37
http://benswann.com/study-us-states-ranked-by-freedom/

CA > NY ....who'd a thunk it....

Glad I don't live in either

We don't call it the People's Republic of MA for nothing. Best quote on my MA ever:

"MA, where Liberty and Freedom started and ended" :(

markm
01-24-14, 12:46
I pray for the big one to hit Cali EVERY DAY. And hopefully something HORRIBLE will happen to NYC.

kcara
01-24-14, 14:15
I pray for the big one to hit Cali EVERY DAY. And hopefully something HORRIBLE will happen to NYC.

Lets try to be supportive of our brothers in these crazy states. :stop: These rankings seem to be pretty accurate. I am happy in PA, but there are clearly many other states with less restrictions and more freedom.

rero360
01-24-14, 14:28
Lets try to be supportive of our brothers in these crazy states. :stop: These rankings seem to be pretty accurate. I am happy in PA, but there are clearly many other states with less restrictions and more freedom.

If NYC, LA, San Fran, Sacramento, Rochester, and Albany (plus their suburbs) were to suddenly cease to exist, both states would instantly be red as red can be. not sure about NJ and MA though.

SOWT
01-24-14, 14:36
The suggested improvements for Texas are interesting:
Tighten standards for local government debt issuance. In particular, increase transparency concerning local debt burdens until it is consistent with the recommendations of the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts and ban local governments from using capital appreciation bonds.

I have to agree with that recomendation.

Improve the liability system by switching from elected to appointed judges.

Disagree here, a crappy judge can be voted out of office which is easier then removing an appointed political hack.

Mimic liberal states like Vermont and Washington and allow open carry of handguns without a permit.

I'd like to see open carry, but wouldn't mind having it as part of the CHL process.

p22shooter30
01-24-14, 15:15
Im so happy in North Dakota. and now you know why.

brushy bill
01-24-14, 19:48
Colorado is more free than Wyoming?? Really?

Jer
01-25-14, 08:43
That was the first thing that stuck out at me looking at the map & I can't remember any recent legislative moves that would have Wyoming so low. Now sure why it's ranked where it is.

_Stormin_
01-25-14, 10:18
That maps not simply firearms...

rauchman
01-27-14, 12:04
Living in NJ, yup, that ranking sounds correct in my book. I was surprised about Vermont. I always had the perception that VT was a "free'r" state.

J-Dub
01-27-14, 13:08
Colorado is more free than Wyoming?? Really?

Yep stay south in calirado....its way free'er.

Jer
01-27-14, 13:21
Yep stay south in calirado....its way free'er.

The laws that apply to us in Northern Colorado apply to you in Southern Colorado.

brickboy240
01-27-14, 13:33
That is like the folks in rural CA saying, "we are way more conservative than San Fran or L.A."

BFD...SF and LA's politics pretty much dictate what guns you will own and how you will own them.

LOL...whatever

JBecker 72
01-27-14, 13:46
That is like the folks in rural CA saying, "we are way more conservative than San Fran or L.A."

BFD...SF and LA's politics pretty much dictate what guns you will own and how you will own them.

LOL...whatever

It's true though. Northern VA would love to do the same to the rest of VA. It doesn't take long to lose a state to a temporary majority rule. Colorado is a prime example.

J-Dub
01-27-14, 13:49
The laws that apply to us in Northern Colorado apply to you in Southern Colorado.

Im sorry I didn't make my self clear (I should've re-read that one), people need to head to Colorado because its so much free'er than Wyoming.

Jer
01-27-14, 14:15
Im sorry I didn't make my self clear (I should've re-read that one), people need to head to Colorado because its so much free'er than Wyoming.

Oh, haha... Agreed! Gun & freedom loving people that is.

MountainRaven
01-27-14, 14:42
I giggled at this for Montana:

Reduce government spending and employment in areas such as police and fire protection, corrections, education, general administration, housing and community development, parking lots, and miscellaneous commercial activities..

Especially the 'fire protection' part.

Because my local FD is volunteer. And Montana totally doesn't have a problem with wildfires, right?

http://www.theradiosource.com/images/montana_fire_edited.jpg

In any case, the idea of Montana cutting funding to education is ridiculous. The state's universities are a big source of grant money for the state… and, oddly, not for education, but R&D and studies and the like. Which is not to mention paleontology.