PDA

View Full Version : What Would Happen If You Forgot...

OldNavyGuy
05-16-08, 23:18
to put in the buffer and spring and fired the rifle/carbine with sliding stock ?

YES ! know it might seem impossible, BUT!..., i made the mistake of working/assembling 5 different ARs, all sliding stock models, as each one was finished it was put in the safe, i was kinda wore out so shut off the lights and quit for the night, the next morning i noticed a carbine buffer and spring laying on my "work bench" (we sometimes call it a pool table :D ) i pulled each one out and pulled back on the charging handle, the fourth one had no resistance, i thumbed the forward assist till the bolt locked home (a big THANK YOU to the person who incorporated the FA) opened the carbine and inserted the spring and buffer, closed it and replaced it in the safe.

I then thought, what if i has fired it that way, thus the above question.

xm15
05-17-08, 00:16
nothing, because when we build we do function checks. at the least.

markm
05-17-08, 00:26
nothing, because when we build we do function checks. at the least.

I don't even put a gun away after assembly without doing a trigger reset function check. This is an inexcuseable mistake.

5pins
05-17-08, 01:05
Nothing because when you tried to load it the bolt would not go forward and strip a round out of the mag.

ARin
05-17-08, 02:33
Nothing because when you tried to load it the bolt would not go forward and strip a round out of the mag.

agreed

Failure2Stop
05-17-08, 07:36
You would not be able to unintentionally do it. Actually going through the process to feed, chamber, and lock would be indicative of intent to fire the wepon knowingly without the action spring or buffer.

I would expect that a bad day would ensue. With no action spring or buffer to slow and stop the BCG the back of the receiver extension would probably break, or at leat suffer damage. If the stock was in the shoulder at the time you will probably have cuts and bruises. The BGC would probably still be usable.

(ETA- as per RD62's post below, the gas key would strike the upper receiver/charging handle, probably damaging both as well as the gas key. Doubtful that the BGC would continue past that point)

I have also missed putting in the action spring/buffer when racing field strip/reassembly. However it is pretty obvious as soon as you begin the function check. It certainly embarrassed the hell outta me.

RD62
05-17-08, 09:08
I would THINK the gas key on the carrier would impact the rear of the upper receiver effectively stopping it's rearward movement before the carrier ever bottomed out at the end of the receiver extension. Unless of course the bolts sheared and the carrier then bottomed out, although I would have to think it's velocity would be greatly reduced. I would ASSUME that this could very possibly and sigificantly damage either or both the gas key and receiver.

As already mentioned, one would have to intentionally do this, and would probably NOT have avery good day after attempting it!

-RD62

Failure2Stop
05-17-08, 10:44
I would THINK the gas key on the carrier would impact the rear of the upper receiver effectively stopping it's rearward movement before the carrier ever bottomed out at the end of the receiver extension.

Quite right, forgot about that little guy!

Razorhunter
05-17-08, 14:58
Here's a similar question guys, hope you don't mind OldNavyGuy.

What would happen if I were to fire my AR without the FSB or Gas block installed?
Would it fire normally, and simply just be a single shot weapon, OR would there be some risk of damage/etc?
I have always wondered about this? Thanks.

Lagadelphia
05-17-08, 17:13
I would think that it would fire as a single shot but I'd not want to have any portion of flesh over the gas port when it went off :)

RD62
05-17-08, 20:08
It'll be ported, no muzzle rise!

Once you work the charging handle think of how fast a follow up shots you can take!

J/K, it should be single shot, but I would THINK you'd get a good blast of gas, and possibly flash out of the port.

-RD62

lakai
05-29-08, 08:53
The gun wouldn't fire. I know this because last night after putting together a new ar, I forgot to put the buffer and spring. When I pulled the charging handle to function check, the entire BCG went into buffer tube and I had a hell of a time getting it out.

decodeddiesel
05-29-08, 09:24
I have also missed putting in the action spring/buffer when racing field strip/reassembly. However it is pretty obvious as soon as you begin the function check. It certainly embarrassed the hell outta me.

Same mistake, same circumstances. I ended up making a fool of myself in front of my troops. Not a mistake I chose to repeat ever again.

hellbound
05-30-08, 13:01
I don't even put a gun away after assembly without doing a trigger reset function check. This is an inexcuseable mistake.

+1

function check
drop the hammer
close the dust cover

RyanB
05-30-08, 17:38
You didn't need the forward assist. You could have done the same by beating the muzzle onto the deck.

OldNavyGuy
05-31-08, 08:38
You didn't need the forward assist. You could have done the same by beating the muzzle onto the deck.

ooooooh.., definitely, that is the way any good AR owner should treat his rifle, just beat it to death with a 2X4 sheeeesh :rolleyes:

5pins
05-31-08, 15:54
You don’t have to do it hard, just enough to get some momentum going in the BCG.

RyanB
05-31-08, 20:51
ooooooh.., definitely, that is the way any good AR owner should treat his rifle, just beat it to death with a 2X4 sheeeesh :rolleyes:

You probably freak out over a stuck bolt drill... well this is just a stuck bolt drill in reverse.

Lumpy196
06-01-08, 02:25
What Would Happen If You Forgot...

to put in the buffer and spring and fired the rifle/carbine with sliding stock ?

Sooooooooo, if in theory you don't install the buffer and spring, how the hell are you going cycle the bolt, chamber a round and fire it to begin with, let alone NOT notice they aren't installed?

platinumdude
06-02-08, 22:52
Is there a good link to doing a function test? I am new to ARs, (only shot hand guns), so I want to do everything right when I finally get my new AR.

Lawdog-1
06-02-08, 23:05
The bolt would get jammed in the buffer tube when you pulled the charging handle back. I KNOW BEAUSE I did it a long,long ,long time ago duing a fuction test on a unload CAR-15, Back in the Late 80's.

decodeddiesel
06-03-08, 09:47
Is there a good link to doing a function test? I am new to ARs, (only shot hand guns), so I want to do everything right when I finally get my new AR.

This would be the functions test for a semi only AR-15. 3 round burst and full auto would differ slightly.

Step 1: Clear Weapon: Eject magazine, lock bolt to the rear, inspect chamber and bolt face for ammunition, if clear allow bolt to return forward. Place selector switch to "Safe".

Step 2: Attempt to fire weapon by pulling the trigger while selector switch is on safe, weapon should not fire (release internal hammer).

Step 3: Rotate selector switch to "Fire" and attempt to fire. Weapon should fire (release internal hammer), hold trigger to the rear after firing.

Step 4: Charge weapon while holding the trigger to the rear. Slowly release trigger, you should hear a metallic click.

Step 5: Place weapon on safe, function check complete.