PDA

View Full Version : Sooo...it looks like I'll be going to Texas!

Mauser KAR98K
01-24-14, 13:11
Been applying for work in the booming oil and gas industry and was pretty dead set on going North to the Dakotas. Well, Tuesday I get my full monte of Hazmat, Tankers, doubles and triples endorsement, Wednesday I apply yo two companies, yesterday I get a phone call that seems to really suggest I am hired. But...it as the HR guy told me, "we don't need you in North Dakota, but we could really use you in West Texas!" Oh, and it appears I didn't need that Hazmat, tanks, and long ass trailer train endorsements, either.

Pay was qouted around low $80,000, and for me a single white guy, that is pretty good, considering I have never made more than $30,000. I have student loans to pay off, some credit cards and a Jeep, which if all goes well...I should be debt free by the end of the year. More money than i would make being a teacher here in TN, or a Ph.D at a university if I wanted four more years in academia hell.

Area is looking to be Barnhart, TX.

Good news is, I am a Tennessean that truly understands Texas history and heritage (if it wasn't for us Tennesseans, there wouldn't be a Texas!).

However...what should I expect. Planning to actually move and take up residence, maybe counter the flow of Californians into Texas. How is the air for asthmatics? Any good home builders that won't charge me an arm or a leg? Wanting to get a good spread of land (recovering suburbanite).

SeriousStudent
01-24-14, 20:18
Barnhart is a small town. I grew up west of there, and lived in San Angelo for a few years. You might think about living there, I used to have a nice house very inexpensively.

Seriously, I would do what you are planning on. Pay off your debts while you can and save cash. Live cheap for a year or so and you will be in terrific shape for the future. You just never know how long a boom is going to last.

Something neat to consider - they hold pistol and carbine classes in nearby Brady a couple of times a year.

Reach out to silverbullet432(?) - I think he owns a trucking company near there.

And welcome to Texas. We love to have hard-working gun owners who love the Constitution join us. That's what Tennesseans with rifles are for, correct? :cool:

thopkins22
01-24-14, 20:58
They can go to hell, you're going to Texas.

Welcome! Next thing you know you'll be planning trips to Gruene and buying proper boots...TX has a way of getting into your soul.

superstratjunky
01-24-14, 21:00
Good luck! :cool:

TXBK
01-24-14, 22:25
Congratulations on you new job, and welcome to Texas!! West Texas is not exactly the most exciting region in Texas, but fewer attractions may help you save.

In all seriousness, West Texas is crazy busy right now and the roads can be extremely dangerous due to the volume of traffic on rural roads. Be careful out there.

FYI, Brady is the "Heart of Texas".

Mauser KAR98K
01-25-14, 11:09
Considering where I live in TN (rural area, but I get to hunt off of bluffs), West Texas might actually be more exciting.

I was cruising property values yesterday and couldn't believe a lot of the low prices, except the million dollar land of oil. My plan, desire actually, is a big spread. Since moving from suburban Florida to rural Tennessee has made me really enjoy the elbow room, and the ability test my reloads at home and not drive 30 miles to do so.

Yeah, I am going to have to get used to actually boots, not the combat boots I normally wear.

What type of critters do I need to worry about? Fire ants?

How is the cost of living around San Angelo? Hear they have a college.

SeriousStudent
01-25-14, 13:07
Yup, fire ants are a real issue in Texas. Work with your neighbors to put down ant killer every spring, and it helps a lot. Other critters to watch out for are rattlesnakes, scorpions and liberal politicians.

Angelo State University is the local 4-year college, it's a decent school for it's size. They also have a pretty fair hospital there.

I lived there more than 25 years ago, so I honestly don't have a good knowledge of current real estate prices. But I did like the town and the people. I'd move back to West Texas in a heartbeat for the people, but I just could not survive the pay cut.

If you are a veteran, check out the Texas Veterans Land Board. It's one of the best programs in our state.

http://www.glo.texas.gov/vlb/

We also have a lot of great education programs just for veterans as well.

austinN4
01-25-14, 14:12
Congrats on the job, and welcome to Texas!

By Texas standards, Barnhart is fairly close to Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains and Carlsbad Carverns National Parks, and to Davis Mountains State Park. I try to hike in at least one of them each year. All are worth visiting.

dmaxfireman
01-25-14, 14:38
Awesome!! I'm envious, in a good way.

I'm sucking up CT while I have to, but very excited to move to a warmer friendlier climate. Oh yeah and some place where my Liberty isn't trampled on by some scumbag politicians! Your story helps keep my plan afloat.

SeriousStudent
01-25-14, 14:58
Congrats on the job, and welcome to Texas!

By Texas standards, Barnhart is fairly close to Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains and Carlsbad Carverns National Parks, and to Davis Mountains State Park. I try to hike in at least one of them each year. All are worth visiting.

Much agree. I grew up just north of Big Bend National Park, and enjoyed the Davis Mountains State Park. My dad was on the Civilian Conservation Corps crew that helped build that place during the Great Depression. Some of the furniture he made is still in use. If you live in Texas, those are all places you need to go see.

willieself
01-25-14, 15:30
Welcome to Texas and the Oil Patch...I live and work in the area around Barnhart..actually I drive through Barnhart just about everyday. You best bet on finding an affordable place to live with a reasonable drive to Barnhart is going to be San Angelo. Big Lake is just 18 miles West of Barnhart but there are people paying the same a month to rent a cabin or RV spot there for what my mortgage is.

Angelo State is a good school and is now part of the Texas Tech system so its getting bigger and better all the time. There are two hospitals in San Angelo, Community and Shannon...

As far as the country side goes, well if you have never been here before, go ahead and say good by to trees and seasons as you know them now. We woke up at 23 degrees yesterday morning here in Eldorado with a 20% chance of snow..today is in mid 60's and we will hit mid 70's tomorrow..back in the 30's on Monday.

Wildlife in there area is as mentioned..also will see Whitetail deer, coyotes, Rio Grande turkeys, bobcats, grey and red fox, occasional mountain lion and last couple of years have been reports of the occasional black bear this far north. White Wing and Morning Dove, Bobwhite Qual and if your work will take you onto the Rocker B ranch (where I spend most of my time) you will also see some Pronghorn Antelope and I saw some Blue Quail up there the other day.

Shoot me a PM and I'll answer any questions you have..I have lived and worked in this area for most of my life...

SeriousStudent
01-26-14, 01:46
And you are also getting close to some pretty nice mule deer country, too. Do they still have those nice desert mulies over by Sonora and Ozona?

thopkins22
01-26-14, 02:06
Big Bend is the least traveled National Park, but not because it's not amazing...it's just out of the way. One of my favorite places to go.

So every time I come to this thread, I start hearing Pat Green singing..."because I'll be out with the boys on a west Texas holiday...."
http://youtu.be/0wfq6x8xNw8

Fire ants are the worst. You'll get complacent regardless of how much you intend to not be caught standing in their hill in flip flops...and I promise you that it will happen anyway. Fun.

Scorpions can ruin your day for sure...but they're not likely to kill you or cause permanent damage shy of a severe allergic reaction.

We killed a 10ft.+ rattlesnake a couple of years ago on my buddy's ranch...had his skin and rattle mounted. I'll get a picture the next time I'm up there. They're not a huge concern for us(if you pay attention,) but if you have dogs you need to be very careful particularly if you hunt with them. All of the vets in that part of the state will have anti venom on hand...but time is of the essence when dealing with a bite. You can have them "de-snaked" which involves a defanged rattlesnake biting them. You might think, "my dog is smart enough to stay back" but he is not. I also highly recommend http://www.redrockbiologics.com/rattlesnake_vaccine_for_dogs.php It's not a true vaccine, they still need the anti venom, but it will increase the amount of time you have to get to the vet which can be the difference between a crippled/dead dog and a dog that just had a bad very day.

And yes, you're getting close to the mule deer. I have two stamps that routinely go unfilled...so if you find a place and need help I'm your man...and will get you on redfish in the flats and grass to make it even. ;)

jtc556
01-26-14, 12:57
If you are partial to running and shooting, the Pecos Run n Gun is something you should consider. 2014 will be the 13th annual and is by far the most fun event I have ever participated in. http://pecosrunandgun.com

Mauser KAR98K
01-26-14, 13:56
If you are partial to running and shooting, the Pecos Run n Gun is something you should consider. 2014 will be the 13th annual and is by far the most fun event I have ever participated in. http://pecosrunandgun.com

Let me loose about 60 pounds first.

How is the deer hunting?

jtc556
01-26-14, 15:04

How is the deer hunting?

Expensive! Unless you know someone.

willieself
01-26-14, 15:57
And you are also getting close to some pretty nice mule deer country, too. Do they still have those nice desert mulies over by Sonora and Ozona?

You see the odd doe from time to time...have to be west of the Pecos to hunt them though. Last buck I saw east of the Pecos was down just north of Pandale last winter.

texasgunhand
01-26-14, 23:59

How is the deer hunting?

In west texas during the summer you will lose weight no problem,working in the patch you will meets somebody with land that will let you shoot a deer if you hang out and drink a couple of beers with them..lol Welcome to Texas, the rest of its green..lol

Mauser KAR98K
01-27-14, 05:54
I'm really excited in heading over "yonder." Listened to Hannity the other day and he did a big segment with the Texas Lt. Gov, and I think I am taking the right opportunity.

It's gonna take me a year to get situated.

I did realize, though, that not only will I be fighting liberals for my 2A rights, but now my frackin' job. May they chock on Richards.

SeriousStudent
01-27-14, 20:00
I'm really excited in heading over "yonder." Listened to Hannity the other day and he did a big segment with the Texas Lt. Gov, and I think I am taking the right opportunity.

It's gonna take me a year to get situated.

I did realize, though, that not only will I be fighting liberals for my 2A rights, but now my frackin' job. May they chock on Richards.

Interesting that Hannity was chatting with Dewhurst, he's in the primary fight of his life right now. Cruz beat him for the US Senate seat, and I have a strong hunch that Patterson with win the GOP primary this fall.

Patterson is currently our Land Commissioner, and wrote the bill that became our CHL law. And Greg Abbott will be the next Governor.

So if you like the Second Amendment, Texas is going to be good for the next 4 years at least.

Our version of BBQ (dead smoked cows) will probably be a change for you, however. But most folks like it. Pulled pork is gaining a lot of traction these days. So you can find it if you look around.

Javadrinker
01-27-14, 21:06
Welcome to Texas, you'll love it but do kiss the trees goodbye if you live out around San Angelo. Hunting is good but will be expensive, and do take the time to go see all the aforementioned parks.

SeriousStudent
01-27-14, 21:19
Welcome to Texas, you'll love it but do kiss the trees goodbye if you live out around San Angelo. Hunting is good but will be expensive, and do take the time to go see all the aforementioned parks.

You are dead right about that one!

OP, there is actually a town in west Texas called "Notrees". You can guess why. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notrees,_Texas

Javadrinker
01-27-14, 21:26
I didn't want to be the one to tell him that :laugh:

SeriousStudent
01-27-14, 21:28
Nah, we always try and help the new neighbors. We'll have him smoking briskets and saying "y'all" in no time. ;)

Mauser KAR98K
01-27-14, 22:21
Oh, great. I have just gotten used to saying "un's" here in TN.

Love me some real Texas brisket. Only had it twice during the times I had passed through Texas.

SeriousStudent
01-27-14, 22:28
And it may sound wacky, but there are (or were) some really good catfish places out there, too. Fried up with hush puppies and slaw.

You'll have to try the chicken-fired steak when you move down, too. It's really good.

SeriousStudent
01-27-14, 22:59
Oh, I nearly forgot something. Are you a veteran?

If you are applying for a concealed handgun license in Texas, they reduced the fee to $25 for vets. The regular fee is $140. But if you are an honorably discharged veteran, you pay only $25 for the original license now, and only $25 when you have to renew it. Pretty neat. Same fee if you are active-duty, too.

Mauser KAR98K
01-27-14, 23:13
I'm a vet only in the sense of what Uncle Sam deems me. Only served 8 weeks in boot camp hell before medically discharged. I'm going to probably pay the $140 as I do not have the veteran status that really deserves that.

Javadrinker
01-28-14, 08:25
When you take the course here, you can claim veteran status, just include a copy of your dd214 when you send in your paperwork. If it is declined you can pay the extra. My experience with them (DPS) on the ccw has been nothing but good, but that is only MY experience with them, others mileage may vary :dance3:

all this talk about brisket and catfish and chicken fried steak has me hungry ... off to cook up some redfish on the half shell

willieself
01-28-14, 16:15

OP, there is actually a town in west Texas called "Notrees". You can guess why. ;)

I spent a week in Notrees one day....

Mauser KAR98K
01-28-14, 18:06
Question:
Y'all said CHL. Does that mean you can open or conceal carry? It is here in TN.

sadmin
01-28-14, 18:18
Concealed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
01-28-14, 20:02
I'm a vet only in the sense of what Uncle Sam deems me. Only served 8 weeks in boot camp hell before medically discharged. I'm going to probably pay the $140 as I do not have the veteran status that really deserves that.

You can always call the DPS when you get down here and verify that.

Mauser KAR98K
01-28-14, 23:18
Concealed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Why has it taken so long to fix that?

You can always call the DPS when you get down here and verify that.

Nah. I'll pay the full fee on principle. There are more deserving vets than me.

Abraham
01-29-14, 09:40
You can open carry on your own land in Texas.

Plus, you don't need a Concealed Handgun License to carry concealed in your vehicle assuming you're an upstanding citizen i.e., you're not a felon, etc.

Concealed carry in your vehicle is allowed per the Motorist Protection Act, but be warned, without a CHL you cannot carry on your person once you exit the vehicle, which of course is a good reason to go ahead and get your CHL as soon as possible.

Mauser KAR98K
01-29-14, 10:09
You can open carry on your own land in Texas.

Plus, you don't need a Concealed Handgun License to carry concealed in your vehicle assuming you're an upstanding citizen i.e., you're not a felon, etc.

Concealed carry in your vehicle is allowed per the Motorist Protection Act, but be warned, without a CHL you cannot carry on your person once you exit the vehicle, which of course is a good reason to go ahead and get your CHL as soon as possible.

I have mine from TN. Will it be valid until I get residency?

Javadrinker
01-29-14, 10:34
I have mine from TN. Will it be valid until I get residency?
September 7, 2000

Texas Establishes Concealed Handgun License Reciprocity With Florida and Tennessee

Texas has signed reciprocal agreements with Florida and Tennessee, allowing citizens with concealed handgun licenses issued by Florida or Tennessee to legally carry concealed handguns in Texas, and vice versa.

Col. Thomas A. Davis Jr., director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, signed the reciprocity agreements with the State of Florida and the State of Tennessee through which their licensees can visit Texas with their concealed handguns.

"This agreement will allow licensed Texans to travel freely in the states of Tennessee and Florida, while enjoying the same or similar privileges their licenses give them at home," Davis said.

These reciprocity agreements--the fifth and sixth Texas has reached with another state--were made possible by 1997 changes to the state's concealed handgun law. Texas also has reciprocity agreements with Arkansas, Louisiana, Arizona and Oklahoma.

Abraham
01-29-14, 12:47
Mauser KAR98K

As I'm sure you already know, each state has different laws regarding anti gun signage that must be observed. Some of them in Texas for private business is the 30.06 law and the red 51% sign, you'll need to read up on this.

Plus, some places you can carry in one state you cannot in another. Again, read up on such or may get into legal trouble.

Mauser KAR98K
01-29-14, 15:57
Well, it's a offical. I kick off Friday from TN.

"You can go to Hell, I'm going to Texas."
Davy Crockett.

SeriousStudent
01-29-14, 21:57
Have a safe trip. We'll keep a bowl of chili warm for ya. ;)

wilson1911
02-02-14, 15:17
What exactly are you going to be doing in the oilfield ? I just reread the thread and did not see. If you are college educated, there are other opportunities that will net you more in the long run than driving a truck. The San Angelo area does leave a lot to be desired. I hope you like lots of Mexicans lol. Aside from that some of the food from the hole in the wall places can be good. Just be careful where you go at first.

Texas brisket is something that can only be cooked right in Texas, but all are not equal. If you go thru Wichita Falls on your way down, there is a place called the Branding Iron, which is hands down the best bbq. And do stop at Taco Casa, great cheap food. OH, and Texas Road House for a steak. Albany, Texas has the Bee Hive- best steaks in USA. If staying over night in Ft Worth be sure to go to downtown area....Pink Cadillac, Library etc.

Lots of places to hunt around there, if you get a lease you are almost guaranteed a good kill. Do not forget the yotes and hogs !!!! brings a new level of fun to hunting.

I grew up in Texas, then moved to South Florida which was the best. Now I am in northwest Oklahoma, which leaves a lot to be desired. The only thing to do up here is long range shooting. Social life is almost a standstill, which is why I drive to Dallas/Ft Worth on weekends. Working in the oilfield can be expensive if you spend money every time you stop at the 7-11 etc. take a bag lunch and do not fall into the rut of spending tons of money, its going to dry up one day. I have been in the oilfield since '94 doing wireline only. I currently do cased hole work, which is a good change from openhole logging. I do not ever recommend doing that. Long hours to say the least. Doing pumpdowns is boring at times, but when you do 6 stages a shift the money is good.

Let us know how you are doing and try to meet up with some people in the area from here.

williejc
02-02-14, 16:08
I have a nephew in the same business out there, and he transports lots of salt water from the wells. Gas wells are a big thing in west Texas. You'll see many wind turbines. Check out the state of Texas website for chl and driver's license info. DPS handles chl application. The agency is user friendly but is a stickler for paperwork. I suggest you bring with you a copy of your Tenn chl application to assist in completing the Texas application--even if you have to get a copy from your state. Very likely your employer will prohibit firearms at the work place or in their trucks.

You'll encounter many meth users and others who could not qualify for a chl along with some ex-offenders. Until you learn your area, I suggest not disclosing your gun hobby because doing so might alert others about valuable possessions. And stay out of Mexico.

Welcome to Texas. It's a good place.

willieself
02-03-14, 11:31
I have a nephew in the same business out there, and he transports lots of salt water from the wells. Gas wells are a big thing in west Texas. You'll see many wind turbines. Check out the state of Texas website for chl and driver's license info. DPS handles chl application. The agency is user friendly but is a stickler for paperwork. I suggest you bring with you a copy of your Tenn chl application to assist in completing the Texas application--even if you have to get a copy from your state. Very likely your employer will prohibit firearms at the work place or in their trucks.

You'll encounter many meth users and others who could not qualify for a chl along with some ex-offenders. Until you learn your area, I suggest not disclosing your gun hobby because doing so might alert others about valuable possessions. And stay out of Mexico.

Welcome to Texas. It's a good place.

Who does your nephew work for and where??? I haven't seen a gas well drilled in nearly 6 years, all oil wells. Just curious if somebody is hedging that gas prices are gonna come back sometime soon.

And Mauser I just went through ordeal at the DPS office in Angelo with my daughter getting her learners permit. Plan on spending a minimum of 3 hours..Wait time to even get to the counter is 1-2 hours now, and doesn't matter what time of day. I sat next to a guy who was there updating his address on his CDL and he hd been there four 4 hours. Just a heads up.

ScottsBad
02-03-14, 11:41
Living in California H3LL, I'm a bit envious. Sounds like you have a good reason to move, but watch out for all the liberal Comiefornians moving to Texas they will F it up.

Single guy, 80K in Texas, you're set. Yes, buy land. Good move and good luck!

SilverBullet432
03-05-14, 23:14
Barnhart is a small town. I grew up west of there, and lived in San Angelo for a few years. You might think about living there, I used to have a nice house very inexpensively.

Seriously, I would do what you are planning on. Pay off your debts while you can and save cash. Live cheap for a year or so and you will be in terrific shape for the future. You just never know how long a boom is going to last.

Something neat to consider - they hold pistol and carbine classes in nearby Brady a couple of times a year.

Reach out to silverbullet432(?) - I think he owns a trucking company near there.

And welcome to Texas. We love to have hard-working gun owners who love the Constitution join us. That's what Tennesseans with rifles are for, correct? :cool:

Hey! hadn't even seen that he made a thread! Yes, I do own a truck, but just one, not a huge operation. It does well though.

and, im actually much closer to notrees (same county) than barnhart. Quite alot of work down in that area right now! i have an uncle with belly dump trucks who is staying rather busy building location pads right now near big lake.

thopkins22
03-05-14, 23:35
Whoops. Wrong thread, my apologies.

Validator
03-17-14, 21:41
Welcome to texas man!

brickboy240
03-18-14, 10:15
If you value freedom and capitalism...you WILL probably end up here eventually.

-brickboy240