PDA

View Full Version : Firearm Class Cell Phone Policy

T2C
01-24-14, 14:01
I just got off the telephone with another firearm instructor who wants to start teaching courses for civilians. The issue of cell phone use during firearm classes came up.

Instructors:

1) Have you ever had an issue with a student using a cell phone during a class?

2) What did you do to resolve the issue?

3) What is your current policy regarding cell phone use during a firearm class?

NCPatrolAR
01-24-14, 14:26
Talking on the phone, taking video, or what?

mark5pt56
01-24-14, 16:05
My opinion is, if he's paying and wants to get off the line and talk on a phone, then have at it. Don't let it hold up the train-it has regular stops and if your not on it when it starts-good luck jumping back on a moving one.

Anyhow
1-Yes and if it's that important like a team leader, etc that has to use the phone, then afford an opportunity to go use it but not disrupt the class, it keeps moving.
2-Never had anyone be disruptive by using it. Always would say that they may have to take a call and would step off line and get back in when able.
3-No policy so to speak, if they absolutely need the phone, then refer to 1/2.

Bottom line, most people are decent and never had anyone be an annoyance with a phone. If anyone has to, they would state so and it's not an issue when they do.

ST911
01-24-14, 16:25
I am fond of a longer, churched-up version of this: Your phone is your business until the instant it's disruptive or distracting, or creates a safety hazard. At that point, you or the phone are history. Your choice.

There may be exceptions for guys that have to be accountable to the electronic leash. However, everyone wants to believe that they're the one that's important enough to be the exception to the rule.

T2C
01-24-14, 17:05
Talking on the phone, taking video, or what?

Talking on the phone when not on break & texting.

We don't allow video recording.