PDA

View Full Version : Retro barrels

IBMer
01-24-14, 21:30
Anyone know where to find retro barrels?
I found the barrels I needed, I got one of the AR15 site barrels, or I am waiting for it to get here tomorrow 2/14.
I also have located a Colt barrel (used) for my A2 build. AR15 ran out of barrels the day after I got mine on the way. I will report on it after I can check it out.

TX0303
02-03-14, 12:50
AR15Sport is expecting a shipment this week I think.
Fulton Armory has some in stock now.
I doubt either has "markings".

IBMer
02-05-14, 21:44
AR15Sport is expecting a shipment this week I think.
Fulton Armory has some in stock now.
I doubt either has "markings".
They are in! I ordered one last night.

thebarracuda
04-08-14, 19:47
How have you guys gotten along with your ar15sport barrels? I'm wanting to build one into a retro a1.

IBMer
04-08-14, 21:58
How have you guys gotten along with your ar15sport barrels? I'm wanting to build one into a retro a1. I built one with the AR15 Sport barrel and the only reservation I have is when i removed the front sight to replace it with my kit sight the notches in the barrel did not match. I did use it as the one near the handguard matched and then I had enough room to drill the other. I can see where this was luck and I built another using the Green Mtn Barrel which is undrilled. The GM barrel is 1/12 twist, chrome lined and unmarked. Of the two I prefer the GM. It has a dark(almost black parkerized finish) but still looks OK for the A1.

thebarracuda
04-08-14, 22:34
Thank you for the reply. I actually looked at the GM barrel but thought the ARsport barrel may work best for me simply for the 1/9 vs 1/12. I realize the 1/12 is true to form, but my reloads are mostly in the 62 to 77 grain flavors. Wanted the barrel to be able to shoot most anything relatively well. Though I don't see this rifle getting much use outside of some range fun. I wish it were chrome lined though.

IBMer
04-08-14, 23:52
Even if the 1/12 is more true it still is not an original and the 1/9 would be better for you. I only intend to shoot the 55 gr in mine. Again the chance that the barrel notches may not align was my main reason for going to the GM.
have fun with your A1. I don't know why these things are so much fun to shoot. Even though I am a Nam era vet I carried an old M1 Garand mostly as I was in the Navy and we did not rate a M16!

04-28-14, 14:47
Seen these at gunthings the other day.

http://www.gunthings.com/M16A1barrel.jpg

Cowtown556
05-11-14, 12:13
I got the 1/12 from AR15sport. It shoots good.

Dutchkma
05-29-14, 15:21
Del-Ton has them too. http://www.del-ton.com/Del_Ton_Inc_Barrels_p/bl1028.htm

rmeyer
05-31-14, 10:01
I just got one from DEZ. They're in Wisconsin

Ron3
07-01-14, 15:46
I was interested in this project but had a hard time finding parts.

For example the Del-ton barrel linked to is not chrome lined and is .750 under the gas block. Probably heavier than a true A1 profile.

Many other barrels are not chrome lined, or 1:7 twist (tight for best accuracy with 55grs) or 1:12 twist (too loose for anything but 55gr, but better for the purists) or just not right. (I.E. Fulton armory barrels use a set screw front sight block)

All I'm asking for is a pinned A1 front sight, "pencil" barrel, chromed lined, and 1:8 or 1:9 twist, 20 inches. It's amazing nobody offers this. (can be found as a bare barrel, but still have to ship it off to the get the front sight installed)

Also, A1 uppers and lowers (with tear drop assists, or no brass deflectors, or no forward assist) are hard to come by, especially new.