PDA

View Full Version : Police chief shoots self for the second time.

pingdork
01-24-14, 22:54
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/21/police-chief-accidentally-shoots-self/4704673/

If this ND happened like he said, I might reconsider carrying with one in the chamber, but I'm highly suspicious of his story especially when you consider this was not his first ND.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZoneOne
01-24-14, 23:08
If you just re-holster your weapon with out any thought or care you're asking for trouble. Upholstering your weapon is deliberate. Reholstering should be deliberate too.

Don't be lazy

Collegefour
01-24-14, 23:13
This guy gets a pass in my book.
A) He owned it.
B) Fifteen years between ND's.
Should he be more careful and mindful? Yes. He said he should himself. Accidents happen, nobody is perfect.

_Stormin_
01-24-14, 23:18
Man I love the thumb and grip safety on my 1911s. ;)

(Could not resist... And yeah, I've got a Glock to go with them.)

SteyrAUG
01-24-14, 23:39
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/21/police-chief-accidentally-shoots-self/4704673/

If this ND happened like he said, I might reconsider carrying with one in the chamber, but I'm highly suspicious of his story especially when you consider this was not his first ND.

Actually I'm familiar with several incidents just like the one he describes.

"It got tangled in my clothing," Counceller said of his weapon. "I was wearing a sweatshirt and a fleece jacket. I felt (the gun) go in the holster and I pushed it, but it was tangled in the material which caused it to discharge. The bullet went into my leg and then into the floor."

It really doesn't take much to actuate a Glock trigger. This is something I constantly keep in mind when I carry a Glock and generally observe a Fifth rule of carry which is basically "a Glock is an cocked and UNLOCKED 1911."

I personally know guys who have blown a round down their pants because their Glock trigger grabbed a curled lip of leather holster or their shirt dropped into their IWB holster and put enough drag on the Glock trigger to discharge it. The only thing you need to accomplish a ND is to successfully snag that trigger safety which isn't as difficult as many image.

I see people stick Glocks in their waistband with no holster and it amazes me that they haven't shot themselves yet. Their is nothing inherently unsafe about Glocks, but there is a cost in extra vigilance for having that first shot short trigger pull.

pingdork
01-24-14, 23:56
This guy gets a pass in my book.
A) He owned it.
B) Fifteen years between ND's.
Should he be more careful and mindful? Yes. He said he should himself. Accidents happen, nobody is perfect.

I was thinking the same. Lucky not seriously hurt etc.
the articles from a few sources all had a similar tone. Some comments I read blamed the glock's lack of a traditional safety and not the chief's lapse in concentration.

Then I got to thinking what if this happened to Joe Schmo civilian? Press field day.

The_War_Wagon
01-25-14, 00:11
PLEASE tell me he's a Bloomberg fanboi!!! :lol:

rero360
01-25-14, 01:42
Skip the wooden gun and just go straight to the rape whistle?

AKDoug
01-25-14, 01:49
Stopped myself the other day when my coat got caught in my holster. My brain said "that doesn't feel right" and I stopped. It's also the reason I remove all of those elastic draw strings on coats the day I get them.

Peshawar
01-25-14, 02:41
I really don't see a reason not to look at the pistol while it's being reholstered. If you're doing that, then you've assessed that any surrounding threat is now over and you can spare yourself the grebnerization.

Tzed250
01-25-14, 02:51
One feature that I like about my PPS is that I can place my thumb over the rear of the slide while re-holstering and feel if something starts to move the striker to the rear. I wish my Steyr M40-A1 had the same feature. It is like a Glock and I'm super vigilant about making sure nothing is fouling the trigger on re-holster.

R0CKETMAN
01-25-14, 05:43
"It was just a little accident. Dave is an excellent marksman," Urban said Monday. "Apparently the Glocks don't have the trigger safety that they should have."

poor Glock gets the blame...a new profession or retirement appears in order

T2C
01-25-14, 06:34
This is a text book example of why you should

1) learn your equipment
2) operate within the parameters of your equipment and surroundings

If someone is wearing clothing that interferes with holstering a side arm, they need to be mindful of the clothing and what they need to do to ensure something like this does not happen to them.

If your experience level requires you to look at your holster when returning the pistol, then look when you holster. Holster in this manner until you have gained the experience necessary to keep your head up and eyes scanning down range while holstering.

Shorts
01-25-14, 06:48
What caught my ire most in this story was this:

The accident occurred when Counceller was putting his Glock into its holster after he removed it to compare it to a newer Glock model at the gun shop, Counceller said.

That is a huge no no in every gun shop I've ever been in. I've been told it was for exactly this reason, it's when NDs happen. Guys are careless because they are chatting with the counter guy and don't pay the same attention to the (loaded) gun they just unholstered.

It seems so basic to clear and make safe a weapon when it gets put in hand, yet many have failed that; NDs have resulted.

ETA: he was reholstering so the gun should have been loaded. My reference leading to an ND was strictly for the scenario above of pulling gun in the store. The gun got caught in his clothes reholstering and he paid for it. It was a small oversight with big consequences.

T2C
01-25-14, 06:53
What caught my ire most in this story was this:

That is a huge no no in every gun shop I've ever been in. I've been told it was for exactly this reason, it's when NDs happen. Guys are careless because they are chatting with the counter guy and don't pay the same attention to the (loaded) gun they just unholstered.

It seems so basic to clear and make safe a weapon when it gets put in hand, yet many have failed that; NDs have resulted.

ETA: he was reholstering so the gun should have been loaded. My reference leading to an ND was strictly for the scenario above of pulling gun in the store. The gun got caught in his clothes reholstering and he paid for it. It was a small oversight with big consequences.

I agree with your opinion about the safety aspect of handling a loaded firearm in a gun shop.

OldState
01-25-14, 07:19
This just happened with a very experienced shooter at my club. Also, it happened to my former roommate while on duty. Both Glocks.

I never understood the adversion the TS's. I was taught and trained to ride the safety on a 1911 and I do the same with the m&p I now use and carry. I train and compete with these pistols and never neglected to swipe it off. When I reholster I am deliberately and push my thumb under the safety.

Any chance of an ND is too much for me to stomach. I've spent most of my life around guns and still have a healthy fear of them.

FlyingHunter
01-25-14, 08:00
It really doesn't take much to actuate a Glock trigger. This is something I constantly keep in mind when I carry a Glock and generally observe a Fifth rule of carry which is basically "a Glock is an cocked and UNLOCKED 1911."

^^^This is what I adopted as a mindset for training and EDC when I transitioned from a 1911 to Glock years ago.

J-Dub
01-25-14, 08:44
Every once in a while I catch myself just throwing my glock in to my Crossbreed holster with out checking to see if clothing is in the way. Then I pause and remember I could've just blown my ass off, not good. When you carry a firearm every day in some sort of capacity, you can get a little too comfortable with them......

Just have to stay focused and on top of things when handling firearms, because they can bite.

sadmin
01-25-14, 09:25
I was a goofball speed holster dude for a while. Not sure why, guess I watched Tombstone too many times and needed to treat some deadly paper like Ringo. Appendix carry quickly put an end to that hooplah. I like what ZoneOne said-

Glad the guy is OK.

I did have a Camminoli(sp?) safety on a G19 for a while but it wasn't for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

pingdork
01-25-14, 11:26
This just happened with a very experienced shooter at my club. Also, it happened to my former roommate while on duty. Both Glocks.

I never understood the adversion the TS's. I was taught and trained to ride the safety on a 1911 and I do the same with the m&p I now use and carry. I train and compete with these pistols and never neglected to swipe it off. When I reholster I am deliberately and push my thumb under the safety.

Any chance of an ND is too much for me to stomach. I've spent most of my life around guns and still have a healthy fear of them.

The number of similar ND stories is surprising. Big reminder for extra diligence when holstering.

A shield might become my future EDC

RIDE
01-25-14, 14:05
If you just re-holster your weapon with out any thought or care you're asking for trouble. Upholstering your weapon is deliberate. Reholstering should be deliberate too.

Don't be lazy

This!!!

ra2bach
01-25-14, 15:35
Actually I'm familiar with several incidents just like the one he describes.

"It got tangled in my clothing," Counceller said of his weapon. "I was wearing a sweatshirt and a fleece jacket. I felt (the gun) go in the holster and I pushed it, but it was tangled in the material which caused it to discharge. The bullet went into my leg and then into the floor."

I personally know guys who have blown a round down their pants because their Glock trigger grabbed a curled lip of leather holster or their shirt dropped into their IWB holster and put enough drag on the Glock trigger to discharge it. The only thing you need to accomplish a ND is to successfully snag that trigger safety which isn't as difficult as many image.

I see people stick Glocks in their waistband with no holster and it amazes me that they haven't shot themselves yet. Their is nothing inherently unsafe about Glocks, but there is a cost in extra vigilance for having that first shot short trigger pull.

GLOCK LEG STRIKES AGAIN!!! hahahaha...

RWH24
01-25-14, 21:07
I've spent most of my life around guns and still have a healthy fear of them.
RESPECT works also. I respect the hammer in my hand, because I have the possibility of smashing my thumb with it.
Guns are tools and each have a place of respect.

OldState
01-25-14, 21:53
RESPECT works also. I respect the hammer in my hand, because I have the possibility of smashing my thumb with it.
Guns are tools and each have a place of respect.

"Healthy fear" = respect.