PDA

View Full Version : Vltor vs LMT SOPMOD stock...

jgalt
05-17-08, 11:57
I am 98% sure I'll be ordering a Noveske N4 Light Recce Basic 16" very shortly. The last question I have on it is about the stock - how does the Vltor compare against the SOPMOD? Please tell me which one you like better & why.

If the SOPMOD is the better of the two, I will probably just order an LMT Defender lower with the SOPMOD stock and a Noveske 16" middy upper. Does anyone see any problems with this set up? Again, if so please say why.

Thanks!

theJanitor
05-17-08, 12:21
i have the VLTOR EMOD, clubfoot and LMT SOPMOD. by far the sopmod is the most comfortable. it also fits tighter on the buffer tube and it doesn't pull my beard hair out.

the emod with the rubber buttpad feels almost as good but it doesn't have the width of the sopmod.

Vendetta
05-17-08, 13:05
i have the VLTOR EMOD, clubfoot and LMT SOPMOD. by far the sopmod is the most comfortable. it also fits tighter on the buffer tube and it doesn't pull my beard hair out.

the emod with the rubber buttpad feels almost as good but it doesn't have the width of the sopmod.

That right there is enough of an answer. :) Anyhow, I haven't tried the VLTOR stock, but I love my SOPMOD.

abnartyguy
05-17-08, 13:06
Vltor is cheaper, but if you have a beard run an LMT, later!
-ZM:cool:

Stickman
05-17-08, 13:41

I've got all three as well, and I find the EMOD to be at least as good as the SOPMOD for my likes. When I teach classes, I try to bring a pile of stocks for officers to try out. Each of them find one they like based off their own personal likes and dislikes.

As far as a beard, I wear a gas mask all too often, so beard action is out of my scenarios.

Find a place to try them out if at all possible, your decision might be very different than what I like, or what others here enjoy.

I've got a guide to stocks written up at the below link, it gives some info, and a bunch of different pictures of the most common stocks.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5

Failure2Stop
05-17-08, 14:12
While I prefer the SOPMOD somewhat over the EMOD, I don't think that it is $100 better, whereas I do think that the UBR is. Not that you asked about that one.

Lumpy196
05-17-08, 15:37
I have owned rubber coated Colt CAR stocks, early Colt M4 stocks, Colt M4 type II stocks, Vltors, the Magpul CTR and a current production LMT SOPMOD.

E-V-E-R-Y S-I-N-G-L-E O-N-E O-F T-H-E-M has pulled out facial hair. Its the front leading edge of the stock pinching hair between the stock body and the reciever extension that does it. The notched locking portions of the Vltor's side panels are NOT what causes it to happen. It's pure internet B.S.

It happens LESS for me with the SOPMOD because the body is longer and seems to place the leading edge further forward. For whatever reason, the CTR seems to do it less also.

I find the whole "beard grabbing" issue rediculous. Man up.

jgalt
05-17-08, 15:49
I have owned rubber coated Colt CAR stocks, early Colt M4 stocks, Colt M4 type II stocks, Vltors, the Magpul CTR and a current production LMT SOPMOD.

E-V-E-R-Y S-I-N-G-L-E O-N-E O-F T-H-E-M has pulled out facial hair. Its the front leading edge of the stock pinching hair between the stock body and the reciever extension that does it. The notched locking portions of the Vltor's side panels are NOT what causes it to happen. It's pure internet B.S.

It happens LESS for me with the SOPMOD because the body is longer and seems to place the leading edge further forward. For whatever reason, the CTR seems to do it less also.

I find the whole "beard grabbing" issue rediculous. Man up.

I'm not really worried about the whole beard grabbing bit, but since you've had so many different types, can you tell me which you like best? Obviously this is strictly a matter of opinion, but I'm asking for yours...

Thanks!

Lumpy196
05-17-08, 15:53
The CTR is my stock of choice theses days. The SOPMOD my 2nd place winner.

R.D.
05-17-08, 16:01
Lumpy I can guarantee you that my beard hair was pulled out by my Vltor stocks gap in between the stock body and the battery compartments. I also have a few stocks and none of them has caught my beard hair. Actually my Vltor stopped doing it when I put moleskin over the offending areas.

I dont think it is a matter of manning up(like shooting thru the brass hitting you in the face on line while keeping your composure) and more like fighting the enemy not your gear. Just my 2cents.

Razorhunter
05-18-08, 14:59
Speaking of LMT SOPMODS,
Can anyone here who owns an LMT SOPMOD stock, which came on a FACTORY LMT receiver extension, tell me if their receiver extension is SMOOTH and BLACK in color, OR if they received the GRAY/SILVERISH color like I did?
I really like the black MUCH better, and I received some funky gray color.
I have been told it's a teflon coating I think? Regardless, it looked like a beat up old chain link fence post that someone dropped on concrete.
Yes, yes, it functions, but I wonder WHY the difference? I have seen LMT offer the smooth black ones, just as you see on most other AR's, and now I have also seen the gray ones.
Why the difference? I have never seen any mention of different options when it comes to receiver extensions from LMT.
Thanks.

Failure2Stop
05-18-08, 15:23
Both of mine came teflon grey.
It never bothered me, but each to his own I guess.

TUNNEL RAT 33
05-18-08, 15:27
my receiver extension is grey . its not dinged up though .

Razorhunter
05-18-08, 15:44
Yeah, I'm not bitchin, and everyone who knows me on this forum knows that I'm kind of particular, and I like to receive NICE, BLEM FREE items when I'm throwing down $1500 or more on a rifle. It's no secret that I like my stuff in GOOD condition cosmetically, and IF there is ever a blem on a rifle, I WANT to be the one to put it there.
I just don't understand the gray teflon finish. In all reality, it is causes MUCH MORE friction between the stock and the receiver extension, than a regular smooth black one does.
I am assuming LMT put that Gray teflon coating on there because of the tight fit of the SOPMOD stocks, but it really doesn't help things. Kind of makes more friction. Not that I really care, but it's worth noting.
Thanks guys.

TUNNEL RAT 33
05-18-08, 15:50
is that how they get the stock to stay snug on the extension - no rattle or such ?

Failure2Stop
05-18-08, 16:00
My LMT SOPMOD is tight on all of my receiver extensions, including my VLTORs. I notice no difference between the tightness of my SOPMOD on any of my receiver extensions. I could be wrong, but I really doubt that the tightness of the SOPMOD is from the teflon.

If your receiver extension is beat-up and the upper is canted, why not contact LMT about it and ask them to fix it? I don't think that you are being nit-picky, and I would want it to be fixed as well. You paid the money. I have always gotten great pieces from LMT, if I didn't I would want it fixed. There is no reason to buy a "top tier" company for bottom-rung satisfaction.

Sometimes bad pieces fall through the cracks, it happens with everybody. It's why companies have CS.

theJanitor
05-18-08, 16:21
it just wipes off. use some brake cleaner on a cloth and you'll be able to wipe it right off

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/a-IMG_7860.jpg

Warrior
05-18-08, 16:27
I love my Sopmod. I just ran a UBR doing some drills yesterday and I gotta say when I first pulled it out of the box I was extremely disappointed in its weight, I know the Sopmod is a little heavy which was my only gripe about it. Anyway I'm quite impressed so far with the UBR I just haven't decided if its weight outweighs its function yet. For now I'm keeping my SOPMOD on my go to rifle as it has been great for my uses. I also like the CTR alot but I get a more consistent cheekweld with the SOPMOD although the CTR is very light which is a big plus in my book. For me right now there are stocks I like alot but I always feel like I'm sacrificing somthing with one from the other, hopefully somone will desiegn somthing that works just perfect for me ;). i had the Vltor for about two weeks and sold it I didn't like it all but thats JMO.

Razorhunter
05-18-08, 16:30
FailuretoStop,
Well, I will be calling LMT tomorrow, but I am awfully scared that the offset fit between the receivers is not considered to be a flaw, and is somewhat common. Here is the reply I got from Wes Grant at MSTN, when I emailed him about it. (I did not buy the MRP from him, but he is probably the biggest dealer of MRP's, and always has been). He has handled, and sold more MRP's than anyone, and many times he has more MRP's in stock than LMT does.
Here was his reply, when I asked him about it:
"PAUL,

WHAT YOU DESCRIBE IS NOT UNCOMMON. MY OWN CQB MRP LEANS NOTICEABLY TO THE RIGHT IN THE REAR. MY RIFLE MRP DOES, TOO, BUT JUST A FEW THOUSANDS. THIS IS NOT UNCOMMON WITH FORGED RECEIVERS, EVEN GOOD ONES. THEY TYPICALLY WARP A BIT WHEN MACHINED.

BOLT RELEASES ALWAYS CONTACT THE MRP CHASSIS, BTW. THEY ALSO DO WITH BILLET RECEIVERS FROM LARUE AND VLTOR.

I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT IT, SO LONG AS IT MOUNTS UP TO THE LOWER AND FUNCTIONS PROPERLY.

GOOD SHOOTING,

WES"

Now don't get me wrong, I'm still going to contact LMT about this situation, and I have ALWAYS received EXCELLENT customer service from Ryan over in CS at LMT. I just HOPE LIKE HECK that they don't tell me this is normal, and I'm stuck with the gun. Not implying that they are going to do that, but I just worry when Wes at MSTN sends me emails such as the one above.

Thanks for the tip Janitor on the brake cleaner!

rickb210
05-19-08, 19:23
DELETED

jgalt
05-19-08, 20:57
Just ordered a Noveske N4 Light Recce Basic 16". I went with the SOPMOD buttstock and AAC 3 prong non-mount flash suppressor. I've read and heard good things about these options and I just rather have the whole set-up done at the factory. For me it's a nice package. Good luck whichever way you go.

Do you happen to know if the N4 comes with a 2 stage trigger? The fact that the LMT Defender lower has that option is one of the reasons I'm leaning toward it...

Thanks!

rickb210
05-19-08, 21:27
DELETED

nplunger
05-21-08, 16:24
When I ordered mine, except for the FH and buttstock, whatever else came with this basic Recce package it was GTG for me. But, that is a good question and I checked the specs at the Noveske site and the trigger wasn't mentioned for this basic Recce and I never asked. If it was me I would call Noveske,541-479-6117 if you don't have their #, and ask them directly. I found the Noveske customer service to be excellent. Good luck.

you can always upgrade the trigger later on the noveske. The options are endless. At least with the noveske you start out with an excelent gun that doesn't have to be upgraded anytime soon.

Robb Jensen
05-21-08, 16:32
I like the E-MOD stocks for 16" and up ARs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunrifles001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/35fae03e.jpg

rickb210
05-21-08, 17:18
you can always upgrade the trigger later on the noveske. The options are endless. At least with the noveske you start out with an excelent gun that doesn't have to be upgraded anytime soon.

I agree. On my order I changed the buttstock to the SOPMOD and FH to the AAC 3 prong because that's what I wanted. The rest of the basic configuration was GTG for me. Also, the regular trigger on the Recce Basic 16" is fine for me. I was replying to jgalt's 2 stage trigger question and your quote is a good reply to his original post(#21).

jgalt
05-21-08, 23:28
I like the E-MOD stocks for 16" and up ARs.

Why? .

JLM
05-22-08, 02:13
I just got an EMOD the other day which is currently riding on a SBR.

Prior to that I had a VLTOR Clubfoot on that gun, and liked it quite a bit. In fact I had to mortar that weapon several times to dislodge stuck cases out out of the chamber, and it held up to such treatment even WITHOUT collapsing the stock all the way.

The EMOD (and granted this is somewhat subjective) feels even STOUTER than the original Clubfoot stock. I can't be certain but I think they switched the plastic compound that the EMOD is made out of to something different than their other stocks. It feels SOLID. I have no doubt that I can bang it repeatedly against the deck if I had to and it would hold up.

I like the design of the new integrated rubber butt pad and the profile of the rear of the stock makes mounting the weapon a piece of cake.

There isn't very much to not like in the EMOD IMO. YMMV of course, but its worth checking out. I love mine.

Robb Jensen
05-22-08, 04:22
Why? .

They're heavy (heavier than even a LMT SOPMOD) but on a heavier/longer upper they help it balance out pretty well.

scottryan
05-22-08, 14:44
It happens LESS for me with the SOPMOD because the body is longer and seems to place the leading edge further forward.

This cannot happen or the stock would not fully telescope closed.

JLM
05-22-08, 19:16
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/ar15wyoming/EMOD-013-20080522.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/ar15wyoming/EMOD-009-20080522A.jpg

jasonb
05-22-08, 23:11
I have an emod and while I really like the cheekweld and length, it looks a little long on a carbine. I understand form over function and all, but it's kinda heavy and throws off the proportions of a carbine. Now on an 18in SPR...

JLM
05-23-08, 00:15
I like extra LOP, being 6'10" :p

There isn't a factory bolt gun stock out there that fits me for example. LOP is too short on all of them.

Shihan
05-23-08, 01:49
FailuretoStop,
Well, I will be calling LMT tomorrow, but I am awfully scared that the offset fit between the receivers is not considered to be a flaw, and is somewhat common. Here is the reply I got from Wes Grant at MSTN, when I emailed him about it. (I did not buy the MRP from him, but he is probably the biggest dealer of MRP's, and always has been). He has handled, and sold more MRP's than anyone, and many times he has more MRP's in stock than LMT does.
Here was his reply, when I asked him about it:
"PAUL,

WHAT YOU DESCRIBE IS NOT UNCOMMON. MY OWN CQB MRP LEANS NOTICEABLY TO THE RIGHT IN THE REAR. MY RIFLE MRP DOES, TOO, BUT JUST A FEW THOUSANDS. THIS IS NOT UNCOMMON WITH FORGED RECEIVERS, EVEN GOOD ONES. THEY TYPICALLY WARP A BIT WHEN MACHINED.

BOLT RELEASES ALWAYS CONTACT THE MRP CHASSIS, BTW. THEY ALSO DO WITH BILLET RECEIVERS FROM LARUE AND VLTOR.

I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT IT, SO LONG AS IT MOUNTS UP TO THE LOWER AND FUNCTIONS PROPERLY.

GOOD SHOOTING,

WES"

Now don't get me wrong, I'm still going to contact LMT about this situation, and I have ALWAYS received EXCELLENT customer service from Ryan over in CS at LMT. I just HOPE LIKE HECK that they don't tell me this is normal, and I'm stuck with the gun. Not implying that they are going to do that, but I just worry when Wes at MSTN sends me emails such as the one above.

Thanks for the tip Janitor on the brake cleaner!

Your going to give yourself a heart attack.