PDA

View Full Version : New to hog hunting and have a camo question.

JohnsMyName
01-25-14, 21:57
I have a trip planned to go hog hunting in SC next month. I know scent is the biggest thing to consider concerning pigs, but my question is about camo.

I have plenty of olive colored pant/jacket clothing, but no camo tops. Is there a light weight net type jacket top I can where over my olive jacket? I searched and didn't see anything online. I also was thinking a light weight pancho might suffice. Any other ideas? Is camo necessary at all?

I will be hunting from a tree stand most likely.

Also what commercial round do you suggest? I have a few other guys going and don't want to put together a reload, just want to buy ammo. All guns will be .223 with 1:7 twist.

Thanks

Capt.Cody
01-25-14, 22:12
From my South Florida Hog Hunting Experience, Cover your scent...Your face...But i hunt with a bow, or from a buggy...I would say from a tree stand, cover your face get a cheap poncho so you keep dry and hit it with sone tree bark colored rattle can paint and call it a day...:)

JohnsMyName
01-25-14, 22:20
face cover is a good idea, I was considering this as well, just wasn't sure about a solid olive drab jacket.

malstew123
01-26-14, 00:09
You're right about the scent factor as pigs eyesight isnt very good compared to their smelling abilities. I think you should be fine with the olive drab jacket depending on how high the stand is, but a camo poncho is a good idea.
Lots of threads on ammo. M193 works and I've used federal fusion 62 grain. At around $20 a box its a good option. The barnes 70gr tsx rounds are highly regarded.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?94628-223-Barnes-70-Grain-TSX-Performance.

Capt.Cody
01-26-14, 00:32
I think you are are fine, hunting from a stand and do it your self camo on a poncho... cover face and cover scent.....but, not a bat idead to make a home made gillie for the the tree

kry226
01-26-14, 06:13
I don't think you need to do a thing (for the most part, I think camo is overrated, especially with pigs). Run what you brung and have a good time. And 55gr Core Lokts have killed plenty of pigs too and are easy on the wallet if you can find them.

JohnsMyName
01-27-14, 11:02
Thanks for the advice guys.

J-Dub
01-27-14, 11:10
Pigs have poor eyesight. They'll pick up movement and scent before they'll notice you because of your clothing's pattern or color.

Bluedreaux
01-27-14, 20:40
Earth tones will be fine. I've never seen a quiet poncho, so I'd avoid that option. Also do some googling on hog anatomy, the good stuff is a bit lower and further forward than some other critters.

hickuleas
01-27-14, 23:53
Have always been told that hogs are color blind.

matemike
01-28-14, 08:48
Pigs have poor eye sight, but decent sense of smell; as long as their nose is not buried in the dirt, which it often is. They have very good hearing though. I'm thinking your poncho might be a plastic material which will make a lot of noise when you move around, and even more noise if you're walking through brush or past a tree. You might be hunting from a tree stand, but you could see a pig at any time. You'll want to be as quiet as possible. Think cotton outer layers and hope it doesn't rain. If it rains, well that makes for a shitty hunt altogether and you'll want to bring that poncho.

I've walked up to shotgun distances from pigs in blue jeans and a black sweatshirt. As long as you're stealthy and quiet, your earth tones should be fine.