PDA

View Full Version : Buffer weight order.

PA PATRIOT
01-26-14, 02:17
Had a friend give me a few used H-3 buffers and I decided to turn three of my Carbine weight buffers in "H" weight buffers by replacing a single steel weight with one made of tungsten from a dismantled H-3 buffer. Now my question is does it matter how the steel & tungsten weights are arranged inside the buffer and in what direction front to rear or rear to front?

Example,

S/S/T or T/S/S with the front of the buffer being the strike plate for the bolt body.

Thanks!

BBossman
01-26-14, 07:58
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?7009-AR-Technical-Discussion-FAQ-Knowledge-Base-Threads

I have "Super Google"...

PA PATRIOT
01-26-14, 12:33
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?7009-AR-Technical-Discussion-FAQ-Knowledge-Base-Threads

I have "Super Google"...

I have seen that thread, TY

But I was still wondering if the total mass of the moving weights inside the buffer changes (Such as the speed they move inside the buffer) if the order of the weights inside is altered such as the tungsten weight being at the front or rear of the buffer body.

Thanks!

BufordTJustice
01-26-14, 13:10
I have seen that thread, TY

But I was still wondering if the total mass of the moving weights inside the buffer changes (Such as the speed they move inside the buffer) if the order of the weights inside is altered such as the tungsten weight being at the front or rear of the buffer body.

Thanks!

Having disassembled MANY buffers and having used dead blow hammers for various other tasks.....I think the heaviest/tungsten weights needs to be nearest to the "head" of the buffer (i.e. closest to the carrier), or of the impact face of the hammer. Otherwise I'd imagine that it's possible that the lighter steel weight could reduce some of the kinetic energy of the heavier tungsten weight as the steel weight 'pinballs' back and forth between the interior wall and the tungsten slug....much as a ball bearing will bounce quickly when lightly dropped on a hard surface.

I assemble all my buffers as follows (including A5 buffers): H-Tungsten->steel->steel, H2-Tungsten->Tungsten->steel, (H3 is obvious), A5H2-Tungsten->Tungsten->steel->steel, A5H3-Tungsten->Tungsten->Tungsten->steel, etc.

EDIT: Since I've been using the A5 system for the last year and change, I don't recall the order of the weights as I found them in the std buffers I bought from BCM and Grant @ G&R (He has the best prices...and buy some McFarland gas rings while you're at it), ALL of the Vltor A5 buffers came with the tungsten weights stacked toward the "head" of the buffer (best practice that I described above).