PDA

View Full Version : Data book? for new shooter.

TheWaker43
01-26-14, 11:18
Well, not exactly a new shooter, but someone who wants to take things more serious. I have been around firearms my whole life, but it has always been just backyard shooting or weekend range trips. I would like to start recording data to hopefully improve. Is there a good book that can record the basics for multiple calibers and firearms, maybe online print outs? I am looking for something pretty simple to just to record firearm, ammo, group, notes, etc. I do plan on taking training courses in the next year and beyond, so this will just be for quick range trips on the way home from work/ weekend stuff. What other info do I need to record? Also any good course suggestions in the Atlanta or South East area? I guess what I am looking for is what is the best way to improve on my own until I can take real courses.

SeriousStudent
01-26-14, 11:54
I have had good luck with products from Triad Tactical.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Data-Books-Covers/

Mile High Shooting is also what I would call "good people".

http://www.milehighshooting.com/

I'm also moving your thread to the Precision Rifle subforum, as I think you would likely get more views and input there.

Hump66
01-26-14, 13:28
I'm in the same boat and wanted to keep track with my SPR. I got one from here:

http://www.impactdatabooks.com/

I've been happy with it so far. Comes with a variety of pages. When it comes time to get more pages, I may change which ones I get.

Doc. Holiday
01-28-14, 14:22
I'll second the Triad Data Book cover and the Impact Shooting Data Book. Both are great! User friendly and I love the fact that it's a 3 ring binder instead of a spine wound spiral books. much easier to add more sheets or your own info.

NongShim
03-10-14, 07:44
Buying a data book that is pre made is fine, but not automatically needed; small notebook can get you by. Here is what I would record regardless of the medium: weather and light info, wind call (what you called and what was actually needed), range/elevation come- ups (your call and actual, same as with wind).

Light data is most important part of weather in my view, as it has the most measurable effect on your performance. Unless you're the zen master Rainman, you're not getting a density altitude without a ballistic computer (analog or digital). Record the other weather though, as you can play with your calculator using past data if you want.

Recording your estimated AND actual wind and range calls/estimations will let you track your progress. Think of it as recording lifts in the gym.

Same can be done with range cards. What I really like about using blank paper rather than a pre made form for a range card is that I'm not constrained to the lines of the paper, plus I can go bigger if I want. I would rather have a blank page than a form any day for doing a range card. You also don't worry about wasting money when you just doodle on blank paper. Doing practice range cards is a great way to get additional practice at range estimation. You can even do it from inside on a rainy day.

taliv
03-10-14, 11:10
i made my own because i wanted to track performance of my handloads as well as my precision shooting. I got a local printer to put them in spiral bound books that are note-pad sized for me.

I keep track of the loads on a sheet like this
http://precisionmultigun.com/pics/barrellogload1.jpg

and then just write the number of the load in the box. So when i shoot groups, i keep track of group number (matches what i download off the chronograph too), and keep track of group size and where the group was relative to my POA. then for each individual shot, i keep track of the conditions, my call (predictions) and then the result. i have a box to record velocity as well. I use the circles like a clock face. so if the wind is blowing 6mph to 2 oclock, i write 6 and make a mark on the circle at the 2 oclock position. for recording my calls and impacts i do it based on distance from the POA (e.g. i think that was 3" low left) unless i'm shooting high power, then i write the scoring ring number and direction (e.g. 8 ring at 9 oclock)

at the bottom of each page i tally up total round count and total number of times i've cleaned the barrel.

http://precisionmultigun.com/pics/barrellogdata.jpg

like nongshim said, you could do this on blank paper, but i find some structure keeps me from leaving out details when i'm easily distracted

i'd use the storm tactical books if i was shooting more factory ammo. but they're awfully bulky to pack around. a little notepad is a lot easier when you're not at a bench.

Never_Enough
04-02-14, 11:45
Thanks for the info guys, was just looking into this.

funkybassplayer
04-02-14, 13:24
This is info I was needing too. Thanks.

-BTO-

TheWaker43
04-07-14, 11:14
I went ahead and picked up an Impact Data Book modular premade and divider kit so I can split it between my AR and M14. I know this is the precision thread but what about handguns. I'd like to keep one as well, especially for my Ruger 22/45. It's been giving me problems, not sure if it just because it's still pretty new, less than 1000 rounds, or the crappy Remington ammo. Seems like it's getting better but I'd like to keep track of that too. Thanks.

Anunnaki
04-07-14, 20:57
I usually keep notes on my droid for each range trip and each firearm, but think I might try one of those data books instead. I think some instruments for accurate measurements may be in order as well, as I too would like to get more into precision shooting.

mark5pt56
04-15-14, 06:40
I've been using a rite in the rain notebook, 4x6 I believe is the size and/or also the small binder. They also make a cover for it so you can store pens/pencils, laminated range cards, etc. They are cheap and if you look at data books or after a while, you know what you need to record to have a reference. The 3x5 or 4x6 is great to just throw in your pocket and minimize the wagon train of items lugged about. The small binder is great from the aspect of replacement pages. Also a bit cheaper and as stated, you can doodle, make field notes and clean them up later on fresh pages. An idea for multiple rifles is to make or buy adhesive page markers and use one book for various rifles. That way, if you want to use items such as Mildot Master, FDAC's, etc. You won't need multiples or forget to get them from the other data book.
A start for reference- much cheaper in the long term

ANS GUESS WHAT?--the two use the same size and patterned pages.

http://www.riteintherain.com/inventory.asp?CatId={354A40DA-F099-4507-ACCE-2465EA9ABE15}

I do have one book left and I'm partial to the US Tactical Supply version. You can also order replacement pages, even the note pages. It may be good for a new shooter to have as a reference and after some time, you will know what you need. The Alpha sheets are a good starter, get a template if you don't draw well to write in your specific target dimensions/shape, etc.

http://ustacticalsupply.com/sniperdatabooks-1.aspx