PDA

View Full Version : Surefire 951 upgrade?

indawire
01-26-14, 13:32
Got a working Surefire 951 with ARMS qd mount and tape switch as part of a trade. Is this worth upgrading to a higher output head or has this been so far outclassed by the 600 and 1000 lumen offerings from Streamlight and Surefire that it's not worth spending the money on it?

scoutchris
01-26-14, 13:51
Hey dude, I just got a screaming deal on a 951 here on the EE from tomalibrando (great guy to deal with), only because I am building a homage rifle to the one I carried in Iraq. That being said, this rifle needs to be usable as well, and that incandescent bulb is atrocious. I went on Amazon and purchased this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058E8HYE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For ten dollars, I'll take this all day over buying a whole new unit. It wasn't a perfect fit, I had to stretch the spring(Took two seconds), but it is now waterproof, bombproof and just as bright(subjectively) as my X300U! I would highly recommend it. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take it overseas. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM or email.

Vendetta
01-26-14, 17:39
The Cree designs are the only thing I would upgrade it with. That being said, I think there are much better options when you look at the weight/size of newer lights with a much higher output.

I wouldn't invest any money into it.

scoutchris
01-27-14, 13:22
That makes tons of sense. Forget the ten dollar upgrade that brings your output to the same as any of the new models and extends your battery life, and spend another $200 on a completely new unit to save a few ounces. Because you'll be doing 20k rucks with it and clearing houses after all.

Vendetta
01-27-14, 16:31
That makes tons of sense. Forget the ten dollar upgrade that brings your output to the same as any of the new models and extends your battery life, and spend another $200 on a completely new unit to save a few ounces. Because you'll be doing 20k rucks with it and clearing houses after all.

I'm sorry you felt the need to get butt hurt and defensive about my post when I somewhat agreed with you.

Yes, the Cree bulb is an option.

No, I personally would not invest money in it. I would sell the 951 and buy a smaller, lighter, and brighter package light. There are plenty of people that like those older lights to build their clone rifles and such.

indawire
01-27-14, 18:53
Thanks to all who responded, I did order the $10 CREE lamp upgrade. Since the 951 was almost free for me, I decided that the ten spot would be better spent than explaining to my wife why I needed another Fury or TLR-1H. Now if you had said I would be running 20 yards and cleaning the house, that would be more like it :)