PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft and hail don't mix...

Slater
01-27-14, 07:18
Heck of a storm, apparently:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_01_27_2014_p38-654132.xml&p=1

sandman99and9
01-27-14, 09:03
Incoming !!!!!!!!

Damn, those are some pretty serious hits.

S.M.

scoutfsu99
01-27-14, 09:58
I was there for that. It caused quite a ruckus among RC(S) and put a dent(!) in our air capabilities. That hail storm also beat the hell out of the armored Land Cruisers and NTV's.

sandman99and9
01-27-14, 18:22
I got caught in heavy traffic at a stop light during a hail storm years ago and it beat the shit out of my truck !! It was only small pebble sized hail and instead of making big craters in the paint it just put about 1million little dents in every exposed section of sheet metal :( Could have been worse, some areas got it so bad it was blasting right through windshields and plate glass at stores and made a wreck of several car dealerships. This was back in the early 90's

S.M.

Tzed250
01-27-14, 18:47
I lived in NE as a child (Offutt AFB). I remember seing hailstones much bigger than golf balls. Of course, hail was a minor worry in that region.

gunrunner505
01-27-14, 19:12
Buddy of mine moved to the Dallas area a couple years ago. They had a system move through that brought hail with it. He was standing in his garage with the video camera going. Hail stones the size of plums and oranges. Sounded like someone was teeing off on his house with a bat. Serious stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Bravo
01-28-14, 10:52
Yep, I got a new roof out of that storm and so did a ton of other people. You should have seen the damage to some of the super high end slate roofs. Damaged roofs, broken windows, and destroyed cars. Driving to work the next day was interesting seeing all the people with broken car windows trying to get to work.

rjacobs
01-28-14, 11:05
Boeing has a cool "gun" that uses magnetic pulses to pull dents out of aircraft. Its NOT a cheap setup, but ive seen the demo at a trade show years ago and it was VERY affective. It shoots one charge out and then the opposite charge and the dent comes out.

http://www.electroimpact.com/EMAGDR/overview.asp

SeriousStudent
01-28-14, 20:51
Yep, I got a new roof out of that storm and so did a ton of other people. You should have seen the damage to some of the super high end slate roofs. Damaged roofs, broken windows, and destroyed cars. Driving to work the next day was interesting seeing all the people with broken car windows trying to get to work.

Yeah, that was pretty ugly. I was surprised we did not have people killed by that. A buddy had a hailstone over 3 inches in diameter smash through a window and miss his son's head by a few inches.

After that, everybody was doing the tornado safety thing in an interior bathroom.